main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How big was the Clone Army?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AmidalaLover, Sep 15, 2015.

1. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    How big was it. In AOTC it is said that 200,000 units were ready and one million on the way. Are units one soldier or is a unit actually a unit of soldiers?

Mod EDIT: Moved to PT

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A group of soldiers is a unit.

3. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Oh boy, here we go again...:p

Heh, OP - this has been the source for much debate and strife over the years. Arguments have raged over how big the clone army actually was / needed to be to fight a galactic war, and what consists a 'unit' as mentioned by Lama Su in AOTC.

I'm not actually aware if this has been officially addressed in the "New" Expanded Universe yet or if we still have only Legends information to go by?

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Finally a thread for this discussion.

There were about 200,000 clones deployed on the first battle of Geonosis

So we can assume that 200,000 units means a unit is a clone

So by the end of the war 3 million clone troopers at the age of 18+ years old

And remember they were never meant to hold planets but to take them.

I get these numbers from my brain and Absolutely everything you need to know.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It has - in Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need To Know - with "unit" being "clone".

That said - we don't know how many clones entered service between Geonosis and the Battle of Coruscant.

mikeximus likes this.
  6. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    In AOTC we know there are 200,000 clones ready with a million more on the way. We don't know how many more were made from after AOTC to ROTJ or later.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    And what does a million more on the way mean?

In the next month? Or what?

8. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008
    We know from the TV show that at some point in the Clone Wars an order was placed for an additional three million clone troopers (identified as individual clones, not "units") and this was treated as a major issue in the Senate. So if three million troopers is canonically considered a large increase in the Republic's military strength, then that lends credence to the idea that the starting figure of 1.2 million from AOTC as individual troopers is accurate.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought the figure was 6 million, but yes, it does suggest that.

10. Kualan

Dec 4, 2008

Just checked - we were both wrong, heh. The figure given in Pursuit of Peace was five million. The three million I recalled came from the same episode when they talk of an order of battledroids the Separatists made that very week.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I think in a galaxy of quadrillions, then both the CIS and GAR must have been very large. The GAR itself would evolve into the Imperial military, maybe the largest ever force ever amassed.

I think the CIS and GAR forces was the largest galactic scale conflict in terms of the sheer number of forces, hence the famous nature of the Clone Wars mentioned in ANH.

The CIS droid army must have numbered in the tens of billions, with droid factories churning out advanced battle droids to supplement local planetary organic forces in the Confederacy.

The Republic clones must have also amounted in the billions to back up the Jedi. I think a unit, mentioned in AOTC, consists of a number of clones - how much is unclear, but it must be in the order of millions. The attack on Geonosis in AOTC shows a significantly large clone force, one large enough to force the Separatists to retreat despite the fact they too have a very large droid army on the planet. And that was just one clone unit. So overall at that point in time, the clone army has a million more units well on the way. By the time of ROTS, several years later, hundreds of units must have been added, both to grow the GAR and supplement it for the losses it took.

Also in the battles we saw, we often saw just one part of it, most planetary or system conflicts took place all over the planet or on many worlds, not just in one town or city. We mostly saw the primary battle and climactic conclusion.

You can even see in ROTS, that it appears some clones are put out into the field before they have even fully matured - on the Jedi cruiser in Obi Wan's briefing, some are younger than others.

So I think the clone army was pretty big, given how big the galaxy was! But not as large as the droids (part of their advantage was numbers) and not as big as the Imperial military - but it was the foundation for that. After ROTS, the clones became clone stormtroopers and the GAR the Imperial army.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think the clone army was very much out numbered to the droid army my guess at least 10 to 1.

Slicer87 likes this.
  13. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Yeah I always felt that when the cloners speak of units, they are talking about 1 clone = 1 unit. They are talking in terms of production numbers, and not militarily,

Andy Wylde and Slicer87 like this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That was the situation. Years back when Stover or Traviss asked about what unit mean, Lucas had said that one unit equaled one clone. Traviss thought it was improbable and was able to push it up to three million from one million. That carried over to when TCW brought the subject up.

Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    It's really weird if 200,000 units means individual clones. That's a relatively small army for a Galactic conflict. Even some countries on Earth have more military personnel than that.

Billions of clones would make much more sense to me and it definitely wouldn't be out of reach for an advanced cloning civilization.

16. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    Maybe they'll retcon it. Curious to see how big the Empire's army was.

17. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

I wouldn't say a retcon is necessary. The film never defines what a "unit" consists of. I could see either making sense to some extent. Either a unit is a measurement of an entire company, or it's an individual clone. If it's a company that satisfies the improbability of an army consisting of 200,000 Clones fighting a galactic wide conflict -- at least initially before the next wave of a million reinforces them, but even that seems like a relatively paltry number -- but if a unit is a reference to a single Clone then that tells you how superior Clones were to Droids. I understand that it's less feasible, but it's Lucas way of communicating their superiority, despite being completely dwarfed by the opposition.

Andy Wylde and AmidalaLover like this.
  18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    For Palpatine 200,000 seems like the perfect number of Clones for day one of the Clone Wars. It's enough Clones for the Jedi to start the war on Geonosis and win the battle there. Butt not enough Clones to quickly defeat the Separatist.

A Republic shortage of troops at the start of the war forces the Jedi to be more directly involved on every level. The more Jedi who fall in combat, the less for Palpatine to deal with later. A shortage of clones weakens the Jedi Order as a whole - spreading them out and distracting them from other duties and politics. War is also a path to the dark side, further weakening the Jedi connection to the force. And a shortage of troops means more planets can be directly affected by the war, and become disillusioned by the Jedi's inability to protect them.

As the war progresses and the the Jedi Order weakens, the number of clone reinforcements could grow exponentially in numbers. The beleaguered Jedi would have no choice but to depend on the clones' help.

By the time ROTS starts and the Republic is winning, there could be billions of clones in service. Their real purpose not to defeat the separatists, but to eliminate the Jedi and impose the Emperor's rule on the galaxy.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    You know, that kinda bothers me. The Clone Wars lasted three years, and clone troopers take ten years to grow.The Kaminoans could have a bunch of 7, 8, 9 and 10 years old clones still in training, which could be deployed as the war progressed, but those new three million clones weren't expected to be ready for combat at least for a decade, and by that point the war would most likely be already lost or won... so, what's the point?

Maybe the Kaminoans switched at some point to faster Spaarti cloning? I haven't still read the Order 66: A Republic Commando novel, but I think Palpatine was already switching to Spaarti clones there...

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Could be that they'd reached the point of assuming the war would take at least 10 more years.

Slicer87 likes this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

this is my guess the war was a stale mate for most of it with ground more or less equally won or lost until the battle of Coruscant.

Slicer87 likes this.
  23. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    Since Kamino was in league with the Sith they may have decieved the Jedi with the total number.

mes520 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

But they thought dooku was still a jedi.

They were never knowingly working with the sith

25. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    A lot.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.