main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How brave was Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Sep 14, 2014.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Now that I think about it Obi-Wan really had to have balls walking into a confrontation with Anakin, whom at this point had: Killed Dooku, helped kill Mace Windu in cold blood, slaughter all the Jedi at the temple and slaughter the Sep leaders in cold blood.

Not only did Obi-Wan have to go up against a man whom he had raised, who knew all of his moves/strategies, who was incredibly competent in battle if not the most powerful living Jedi; but now Obi-Wan had to face that man AFTER he had adopted a newfound malice and ruthlessness that Obi-Wan himself had witnessed on holovid.

I think most Jedi who were placed into that situation would be shivering in their boots, and would probably have tried to surprise attack Anakin rather than talk sense into him.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Fear leads to anger..."

I could see most Jedi banishing fear before facing the task.

3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think it's that so much as feeling that he didn't have a choice. Yoda put much emphasis on "Destroy the Sith we must"

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

IHeartKenobi89 and Pensivia like this.
  4. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    You're right I completely forgot the Jedi code. Any true Jedi wouldn't have been fearful going into that situation.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Obi-Wan was portrayed as the prime example of a true Jedi in the PT. Bravery never comes into the debate because his devout loyalty to the Order and the Jedi Code.

6. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    Well said. All the opposite of Anakin.

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Except they aren't true opposites. The films show they are both very flawed men willing to minipulate others for their own ends. I do not think anyone in SW is a true Jedi as shown. The closest to me is Luke due to his faith in love and good triumphing.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Do you think Obi-Wan was manipulative, even in the PT?

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Yes. He used the Mink Trick in both trilogies.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    You mean the death stick dealer? Come on man he just sent the guy home to rethink his life.

11. theman54

theman54 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 26, 2005
    Does it once to set a massive druggie straight. Does it again so that he and Luke will be able to make it off planet and help out the Rebel cause. I fail to see where the "furthering his own selfish ends" part comes in.

12. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    Kenobi's dependence on the Force is that which made him fearless. His bravery was a result of his integrity to that, imho.

IHeartKenobi89 and Pensivia like this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Jedi training prevents that.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    For me he's minipulating choice/will of other sapients not to mention it's deceptive.

15. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Alright alright quit rubbing it ino_O

IHeartKenobi89 and Ananta Chetan like this.
  16. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I think it's one of the better aspect of the prequels. The fact you can see how hard it is for Obi-Wan to face Anakin is really cool--not out of fear, not per se, but out of fear seeing Anakin is truly evil.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It does take bravery and courage to face someone who you considered to be a brother though.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I wonder at that point if he really thought he could talk some sense into Anakin. He had been able to in the past.

19. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Yes--for me, it's also the sense that it's really hard for him because Anakin's turn is just so personally heartbreaking to him. That's why that moment when he says "Anakin, you were my brother! I loved you!" never fails to get me...

Also yes! That really comes across to me when he says "I will do what I must" just before their duel begins. The integrity of Obi's commitment to "doing his duty" just shines through in that moment.[face_love]

20. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Obi-Wan's very brave. He had no hesitations in engaging three Sith (Maul, Dooku, Anakin) in combat who were all arguably better than him at the time. He also took on Jango and Grievous and they were no pushovers. To me, Obi-Wan had a real sense of duty and professionalism. He did what he thought was required of him and what was best for the Jedi/Republic without regard for his own well being.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I think he really did think he might be able to, Yoda be damned. Even Vader later acknowledges that Obi-Wan once thought as Luke does--that Vader could be turned back into Anakin.

It's the only way to explain Obi-Wan trying to warn Anakin away at the end of the duel. He didn't completely give up on Anakin until the moment he was forced to mutilate him and watch him self-immolate while screaming in all-consuming hatred.

22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Since Anakin is incapable of killing anyone that isn't already incapacitated, Obi-Wan had nothing to fear.

23. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree I love that line. It shows that Vader remembers the only other person (Padme too I guess:() that thought he could turn away from the dark side.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I do not think Obi is incapable of killing as he shows that clearly but I respect he isn't a fiery warrior that lacks sense like Anakin. He knew caution and strove to respect life. It doesn't mean he was without major issues, though.

25. deadly jp

deadly jp Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2014
    Obi wan is very brave I got so many points why his one of the bravest starwars characters.

1. As a padawan he engaged and defeated darth maul with out his master
    2. He can fight darth maul and savage opress alone without help (S5 E1)
    3. His risking his life to save duchess santine from maul who reallys want kenobi dead
    4. Obi wan even wanted to face darth sidious known to be the most powerful sith recorded instead of facing anakin/darth vader, this shows that he aint a coward he is BRAVE!!!!
    5. Not afraid to die, sacrificing his life to help luke (letting darth vader kill him)
    6. Defeated darth vader in a duel in mustafar who claimed he can overthrow darth sidious
    7. Not afraid to use unarm combat against general grievous, knowing that it would hurt punching or kicking grievous
    8. Still brave enough to face count dooku alone on geonesis even though dooku was more powerful then him at the time and anakin stunned for a while.