main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How brave was Obi-Wan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by The Supreme Chancellor, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    He was brave enough to face many threats that most people would want to avoid like the plague.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I understand your point but beg to differ. Sure, Obi-Wan uses mind tricks–but this has been shown from the very beginning, back in ANH, to be a "fair" trick. It would be preferable to make their minds go fuzzy for a moment than to risk an accident. In the death stick dealer's case–yeah, it was a bit extreme. Could he have just said "I don't want those drugs; leave me alone"? Yeah, definitely. But they were dealing with the threat of an assassin, and he had to hurry and get it out of the way. So maybe he just thought "I'd better get this dude out of the way so I can focus on the assassin" and did the fastest thing to get him out of the way. If he'd said "I don't want those drugs; leave me alone" then the guy might've argued. "C'mon, man, I'll cut you a deal." Things like that. Obi-Wan didn't have time for that.

Look at it this way–they were like police officers, almost, on a mission to catch a killer. But they don't have the authority to arrest a guy for pushing drugs. They do have the authority to catch a killer who tried to assassinate someone under their specific protection. That was their mission, and they had to deal with it quickly, before anyone got hurt. If he was busy arguing with this guy over whether or not he was going to buy drugs, it might've been time enough for the assassin to sneak up on him and shoot him while he was arguing–or for Anakin to be put in danger–or for an innocent to be caught in the crossfire. He had to choose, and act. And it might've been a bit of a rash choice but it certainly wasn't wrong, to me. Because it resulted in no one dying (well, until Jango killed Zam, but that was unrelated to the situation).

In ANH, that's another issue entirely. These stormtroopers were looking for these droids who had the Death Star plans. Even if Luke had told them the truth, had said "we just bought them," then what would have happened? At best, the droids would be taken, Luke and Obi-Wan would be arrested, and possibly killed like Owen and Beru. But Leia needed help. Even if Obi-Wan could've fought off the entire squad of stormtroopers without Luke being killed or the droids being destroyed (doubtful), the Empire would've been alerted to them that much sooner, and they probably wouldn't have made it off of Tatooine. Thus, Leia would've been executed, Yavin IV would've eventually been found and destroyed, and Palpatine would've remained in power over the galaxy indefinitely. In that case, Obi-Wan mind tricking these guys was not wrong. In the end, he was probably even saving their lives–if only for a few hours longer, since they were probably among those killed by Han anyways, but Obi-Wan wouldn't have known that at the time. He did the only thing that would've saved time and lives.

So yes, I do think Obi-Wan is very much the ideal Jedi. Did he lie to Luke? Yes. I don't agree with that, but it was more because of the writing than anything else, so I can forgive it. But nobody is a perfect person. Obi-Wan is very close to being one of the gentlest, kindest, most heroic characters in Star Wars, along with Luke and Qui-Gon. And as to the topic at hand–I'm sure he was scared. But not scared of dying; scared of having to kill his best friend in the whole world.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I rather hate this characterizing of "folks" real or fictional, as "very flawed" as to be human IS to be less than perfect. Yes, folks HAVE flaws, but they are not their flaws.

4. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    Obi wan couldn't believe what he saw in the Holocron. Therefore he first tried to reason with him. When he had no choice left he did what he had to do. He was one of the wisest Jedi's and there is no doubt about that.

Sent from The Millennium Falcon

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ravenfan: We simply see him in different ways. It's fine. :)

IHeartKenobi89 and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Cael-Fenton

Cael-Fenton Jedi Master star 3

Jun 22, 2006
    I find his emotional courage far more impressive than the physical fearlessness. He didn't have much left to live for at that point. I think being killed by Vader was not a prospect that held as much horror and dread for him as killing Vader.
    We see him gathering his resolve through the duel (and before that) but he still couldn't do it in the end. Yet despite his failure I think this is the most heartwrenching display of courage in the entire Saga.

(I'm not disputing that Luke's achievement was greater, but that was selflessness he displayed, and pure selflessness is a greater virtue than courage IMO - but as far as sheer courage/determination/devotion to duty goes, it's Obi-Wan.)