main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters How can I build my own lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthMasan, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    I haven't found anything useful at Walmart, but $15 worth of stuff from Lowe's, Home Depot and 1 item I picked up at Kroger, and I made one yesterday in about 6 hours. a lot nicer than the one I made last year.

2. LegolasLOTR

LegolasLOTR Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2003
    if you want a good fighting saber that can take a beating just get a dowel that your hands can grip firmly and cut to size and drill a hole at the tip and insert a long thiner dowel for the blade and spray paint it. I made a few and they have lasted about a year of hiting my younger brother and sisters :).

3. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Have you tried carving the handle to make it look like a real saber? That sounds like it may be an excellent stunt saber!

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    How heavy are dowel rods?

I imagine you can't swing em about a la Obi-Wan vs. Maul?

5. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    It all depends on how long you train with them. Dowel rods are the lightest thing I've found for stunt sabers so far. With some time, anyone can swing them relatively fast.

EDIT: Of course I'm referring to the 3/4" dowel rods, not the 1"+ that you use in your closet ;).

6. LegolasLOTR

LegolasLOTR Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2003
    I also use screws to make the buttons and spray paint them too

7. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Ok, I'm actually looking for something a little different from what's talked about here, but maybe someone can still help.

I need a saber hilt for Halloween. It doesn't have to have a blade, it doesn't have to be durable, it's for my Halloween costume. What I'm looking to do is wear it attached to my belt. It just has to be believable enough that people look at it and think "lightsaber" but it doesnt' need any sort of detail.

Can anyone help me with this?

8. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999

Really if your looking for cheap and fast and your not too worried about how it will look, Your best bet would be to go get one of the non Electronic Hasbro toy sabers. They have them that look like obiwans and Quigons sabers. They have an attached belt clip and an extendable blade that will stay in when it's on your belt.

both Target and Wal-mart in my area seem to have a huge Surplus of these.

That would be perhaps your cheapest and fasted route.

9. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
  10. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Do you think fiberglss blades would work??

11. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    Don't panic. Find a couple of second hand camera shops and ask if they happen to have any old 1920s - 1940s press camera flash guns. That's right, flash guns. Try not to look really excited if they say they do or know where to get one. As long as you're not looking specifically for the original GRAFLEX (almost impossible to find these days) you'll more than likely wind up with a Heiland or something very close.
    Flash guns can be modify with only a miniscule payout. The rubber stripping for cars and trucks (found at Wal-Mart, Canadian Tire or the like) makes really comfortable grips. After you've applied the stripping (it's self-adhesive), strap them tightly with twine and set the sabre aside for a couple of days. Oh, and do the stripping last.
    Old computer chip board makes a neat 'activator pad' and the type of flash gun (some are stainless steel) will pretty well dictate where and what you use for your belt clip.

12. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Cool, but waht do ya think of fiberglass blades??

13. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    From what I've heard, the fiberglass blades are nice and light and near indestructable, but expensive as hell and difficult to find.

And in response to an earlier post I have tried carving a saber from PVC. It's Jedi Dajuan's but it's still not finished.

14. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    I agree on the price of the blades. And it starts getting complicated when you want to 'gut' the hilt to insert the blade mount. Also, most SF conventions (although not Celebration) won't let you walk around with the blade, either in its bag or inset in the hilt.

My personal feeling is that a Jedi doesn't need to 'show off' their blade anyway. After all, a lightsabre is a defensive weapon used only as a last resort when all other avenues of negotiation fail. (I'll tell you the Mug Old Fashion Root Beer commercial sometime) As I tell children when they ask me if my hilt 'lights up' or to show them the blade I tell them that a Jedi doesn't show off. If a child tries to turn it on I tell them that it's thumb-print locked to me alone. I've noticed most parents really seem to appreciate that sort of thing.

15. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    How much does fiberglass cost??

16. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    The fiberglass itself isn't all that expensive. Getting it tooled into a blade shape and polished, and then having your hilt doctored to hold it is where you'll run into the expenses. Especially if you want the electronics inside so it hums and lights up.

17. zhi-don_aquintas

zhi-don_aquintas Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2002
    its better to go to EL....and cheaper too. i was at comic con last month and we walked all over the place with parksabers out, blades in and lit. no one said anything.

18. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I think your a beginner so you might wanna stick to pvc pipe for now.

19. haruwindsong

Aug 2, 2004
    There are still some conventions, such as the Comic Cons and Celebration that don't care. However, please keep in mind that the WorldCons are really sticky on this point, as are a number of the smaller conventions like NorWesCon in Seatte, WA.

20. partyatheckhouse

partyatheckhouse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    Does anyone know of a tutorial for making Kyle Katarn's lightsaber? That's one of my faves, I'd love to build it.

21. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    For my stunt saber I'm probably going to use the TPM method, or the Ep.III methd, all under $15 a blade...

22. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Unlocked for recent query.

23. Cuban_Menace

Cuban_Menace Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004
    In this pic I built the top one [image=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/dtsman/LS.jpg] just used a 3/4 copper pipe for the center tube that holds the wooden dowel, a chrome sink pipe cut the front used rubber sheets cut into donuts to hold the copper tube inside the chrome pipe and used a glue gun. I also used windshield wipers for the grips.

24. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    Does anyone know any web sites that have instructions on how to
    make those light sabers that can light up (what ever they are called)?

25. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Do you want an EL or LED saber? [face_thinking]

If you go to The Custom Saber Shop and sign up for the Forums, there are tutorials to build both types of sabers there. Plus, you can also buy all the parts you would need to build either saber from the Store on the main page.
    :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.