main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters How can I build my own lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by DarthMasan, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hack

Hack Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    What kind of materials are you working with and do you want it open (for a blade)?

2. darthnave

darthnave Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2005
    I want to be able to put in either SILOFLEX or PVC pipe. I was yhinking about using a sink drain as the emitter-though not sure what kind-and a 1.5"ODX12" sink tube as the hilt.

3. FETT-MAN

FETT-MAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 21, 2005
    "I don't know."

4. Hack

Jan 10, 2006
    Well... if you are going to use a sink drain as the emitter it will all depend on the drain. If it fits perfectly great your set. If not you'll have to bridge the gap (assuming it's too big) with something, probably PVC. Once you have it in there drill and tap a hole to put a blade holding screw in.

The main problem I see in wanting a luke rotj emitter and a blade is the same problem as MR. The narrowest part of the neck is like 1/2". If you want to remain accurate to that the blade will suffer by not going in deep and a huge ponential of "wobbling" or not staying period.

Without the sink drain using a lathe is the way to go. I bet that's outside of your skills and means because otherwise you'd know how to do this and wouldn't have asked.:D Your next best bet is making it with already made circular objects, wooden dowels or PVC. With PVC it'd take much looking in the aisles of your hardware store for various diameters that look right. You might want to substitute in a pipe coupler (PVC or metal) if just the general look is okay for the smallest part of the neck. Wooden dowels are simple. Get the various sizes glue them together and for strength put a bolt down the middle by drilling the middle out (which you may have to do anyway to get the blade in).

Chew on that.:D

PS I know he said reply with I don't know but that wastes bandwidth to post a redundant answer. Silence should be understood to mean "I don't know".

5. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    I was thinking the main flaw of the emitter is the fact that when I am dueling with my newlt made lightsaber the neck would probably bend if hit hard enough. And the reason why I said to say "I don't know" is the fact that I might get all hyper again like before when I kept on asking about "what kind of pipe should I use when I make my lightsaber?" and no one wants a repeat of that. Am I right?

I went to both Lowes and Home Depot's web sites and the closest thing they have to a sink drain is a sink strainer. Whadda up with dat? Maybe I have to go to the actual store to find sink drains?[face_frustrated] So Hack or anyone else reccomend what I could use for the neck?

6. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    You can certainly say that again. I was just marking a place so I'd know which posts were new next time I came here. Maybe I should just say 'bump'. Then again that wastes bandwith I guess as well.

7. Hack

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes, I saw the "does anyone know, does anyone know, ad nauseum" posts. I sure don't want that again but I all I can say calm down or perhaps spend the time reading and you might find your question already answered.

It's up to you on what you want. Wood would be easier to get the edges properly smooth, but PVC would be stronger for dueling.

8. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    While we're talking about modifying sabers, I was scrunging through old toys from way back when and found a toy lightsaber that I got from Disney Land. It's hilt (large enough for a DM) is painted bronze, and the nicely proportioned blade is sort of a greenish yellow. The blade sadly doesn't retract all the way into the blade, the last section pokes out. But I also have an Anakin Hasbro saber I bought on Halloween last year. I like the look and size of that hilt, but the blade is incredibly too short. I was wondering if there was a way to take apart these two and repaint a little, and switch the blades to give the Anakin a proper blade length. It'd probably take away that little 'locking' feature Hasbro put in.

9. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Siloflex is in the plumbing section. You can get it in straight 5 foot section for around 3 bucks each. Look for the black iron pipe, it's been next to that in nearly every Lowes i've been to. If you ask the goofy lookin dude in the Lowes vest, he will give you "that look" and adamantly deny the existence of this material. Or he will take you to the 100 ft rolls. Don't bother with the rolled stuff it does not want to straighten out. For my SCA blade I use 1-1/4 inch with another smaller pipe inside. You can club guys in metal armour for days with this stuff and it WILL NOT SHATTER. Your paint will hold onto that about as well as it does with PVC.

10. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Maybe I won't go with the Luke ROTJ lightsaber emitter like I said before the neck would probably bend if hit hard enough. Maybe I will go with Kyle's 1st lightsaber look. Thanks for that SILOFLEX reccomendation. And is there a way that I can post a picture of my new lightsaber on here without haveing to sign-up for Yahoo or the other places?

11. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    Thought I'd warn ya, the stuff is flat black. The plumbing section guy probably hasn't noticed that it is plastic and not metal.

12. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    I don't want to do what darthnave did with the asking... but anyone know the answer to my last question on here about the toy sabers? Keep in mind I'm also marking a spot here so I don't loose track of where I am.

13. Hack

Jan 10, 2006
    It's hard to make any comments because you talk of that disneyland toy not many would have. Ask less do more it's how you learn. If you want I bet you could figure it out. I have yet to but have contamplated replacing my hasbro sabers with solid acrylic blades.

PS No need to mark a spot. If you come back and the last comment isn't you chances are there's a new reply.;)

14. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Even if I did switch the blades, according to my estimates I'd have no room for any sound mechanisms. But first I've got to figure out how to dismantle the sabers. I've tried a bunch of theories already...

Oh, well, I'm going to end up with an fx saber anyways. Speaking of which, on ebay I searched for Anakin sabers and found one for $51.00, but the picture was a Vader. The description said Anakin never removed from box, but I don't know what to think. I'm guessing this is one of the many deals I'll have to pass.

15. Gul-Dak-Herann

Gul-Dak-Herann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    ^Ask him, chances are it's a simple mistake and he'll tell you what it is.

16. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Hey peeps I got most of the things needed for my saber. I couldn't find any SILOFLEX so I went ahead and got a PVC pipe. I have everything execpt an emitter, decoration, and a clip. Looks pretty nice if I do say so myself (that is so far). I will be sure to post a picture when ti is done. And Fett_Man if you ask me I think that guy is just ripping everyone off that falls for it. But don't forget (not that many Star Wars fans would) that vader and anakin are the same person. Oh and I am also missing grips. I was going to use wind shield wipers but my parents thought it would be too expensive just foe the rubber parts.

17. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Well I'm forgeting that deal anyways. I just got back from Borders and was greatly impressed with the new Luke ROTJ. I'd seen the older ones, and just found out today they'd come out with a rerelease. As you see my new sig states ROTJ Luke is my fav jedi, and I'd love a green saber. I also loved the feel of that hilt. I was always impressed by the feel of Anakin's, but something about how the neck and the rings were... I just loved how it handled. My jedi is going to have a blue/black color scheme, but a green saber wouldn't look bad at all. Plus I have a coupon somewhere for Borders, and my mother has a friend who might be able to get an employee discount, so ROTJ Luke it is!

([][]III[]{--------------- Oops, a little excited I guess :p .

18. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    What does your post have to do with building a lightsaber, FETT-MAN?

Your blade's a little short. ;) :p

19. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    It doesn't, I was just telling you all about my decision. Also I was trying something different so:

([][]III-{===============

How's that?

20. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Does anyone know what I could use as an emitter that can also get at ACE that would be a good emitter for a 3/4"x12" downrod extention?

21. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    What's a "downrod"? Do you mean dowel rod? ;)

22. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    No I mean downrod. Not sure precisley what it is. Just an extention pipe/rod made out of nickle. It's baisically the samething as a sink drain pipe. Anyway so far so good. All I need now is something to use as an emitter. With out the emitter it looks like this:
    =[][]===================================

23. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Good one, but the equal signs in the blade need to be white.
    ([][]III-{=============== See what I mean?

24. darthnave

Sep 5, 2005
    Sure....

25. FETT-MAN

Nov 21, 2005
    Might also want to make them bold as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.