main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How can Imperials be fascists...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by NihilusLordOfHunger, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I never had any issue with the GFFA using different words for common earth objects, places, and so on.

It adds the immersion-makes the reader think they are in a distant galaxy a long time ago.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it adds to the confusion, honestly.

It's a bathroom whether you call it a fresher or not.

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    What if there's no bath? Hmmmmm?

But yes. Why make up "space" words just to be different when we have words that already do the job.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

V-2 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  4. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    To let people immerse themselves in a fictional Galaxy? I totally agree with the thinking that as long as the context allows the reader to understand the word, then create a word that would fit the galaxy. Like Caf for coffee.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    All those stupid near-what-the-thing-is-without-using-the-familiar-word words made reading SWEU even more of a chore than it needed to be. It only immerses if you have no sense the ludicrous, imo.

Darth_Duck and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    You don't think having Luke taking a swig of beer, or Leia putting on her joggers to go for a run, or Han listening to a rock band would have taken you out of Star Wars a bit?

LelalMekha likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Han listening to a "heavy isotope" band instead of a "heavy metal" band, might seem a little pretentious though.

8. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Quite the opposite; the actual films didn't introduce much bafflegab at all. That was mostly an unimaginative contrivance of the SWEU.

9. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Some like that work similiar to credits - dollars/pounds.

Battlestar Galactica in the original series tried the whole centon/micron thing for measurements of time or distance for both the "outer-space" thing but to depict a different culture that was supposed to be typcial of the Earth's (the 13th colony of Kobol) distant relatives.

However that show like Star Wars/GFFA used Commander,Captain,Centurion,Council and other very earthly references for many things at same time as using the not so earthly.

Felgercarb in the original - frak in the remakes also were funny examples of this.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Iron_lord and Xander Vos like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I wondered if "micron" as a unit of time was a deliberate shot at Lucas use of "parsec" in a way that made it seem like a unit of time.

11. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    Easily could be given Glenn A. Larson about half of 1977 and then some of 1978 to look over A New Hope and see what he could "borrow" albeit in an altered fashion.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    not only do I disagree generally but this in particular is a really bad example, because "bathroom" is the sort of English word that has a dozen different synonyms which vary greatly by region, so adding yet another that's not used anywhere on earth but is still easily understandable from context is a neat way of adding a bit of flavor and making you feel like the characters are speaking a dialect from a galaxy far, far away rather than, I dunno, Nebraska. Yeah, it can get excessive-- awkward constructions like "backrocket" or "felinx and rodus" or whatever-- but there's an art to it, and stuff like "(re)fresher" and "lum" and "caf" and "(turbo)lift" and "slicer" are fun, organic constructions that make the setting feel distinct.

As for "fascist": I'm surprised to see everyone so staunchly defending its use, here. I think it's pretty self-explanatory why it's a more jarring term to come across than something like Emperor or Republic or whatever, which are words that have existed for millennia and been universalized; fascism, in contrast, is something that still evokes a specific period in our history and is generally used to evoke that. Like, obviously the Empire is intentionally supposed to seem pretty fascist, but I'd agree using the term in-universe is just clunky, especially when there's other options.

jSarek, Havac , Charlemagne19 and 2 others like this.
  13. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Han listening to a rock band would've been infinitely better than anyone listening to Jizz music. Jatz isn't much better, but at least it's less of a linguistically sticky situation than Jizz was.

Is there no beer in SW? That's stupid.

Caf or Coffeine or Coffee. All were used in SW. Which I think is part of the problem with space words. Authors didn't always agree on what need to be space-ified so while we're getting coffee alternatives we're also just getting coffee.

Jedi Princess likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lots of ale - which is a kind of beer.

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It's a big galaxy. Just on our one planet we have people calling the same beverage coke, soda, pop, soda pop, fizzy drink, etc.

16. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    With the Facists who had German sounding accents calling it "Fanta"

Iron_lord and Sarge like this.
  17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Fanta isn't Coke. Fanta is orange.

18. Master_Rebado

May 31, 2004
    I don't see anywhere where I said Fanta is coke.

I did say what it'd be called if German sounding Facists made something soda pop.

Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    Fanta is coke in the places that call all soft drinks "coke."

jSarek and Daneira like this.
  20. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Actually, if you look at the historical circumstances surrounding the initial rise of fascism proper in Italy, the traits and policies it evoked - a reaction to the devastation of World War I, anti-bureaucracy and anti-parliamentarianism, anti-corruption, anti-elites, anti-clerical, unification of a very geographically and culturally-divided country, modernism, seeking to revive the nation's ancient glory, militarism, a Third Way beyond the existing political divide, coming to power by subverting rather than overthrowing the existing political system, the immediate impetus for seizing power being a spurious claim of a coup by a competing political faction - fascism seems a very accurate term for the circumstances surrounding Palpatine's rise. Just replace World War I with the Clone Wars, and both the Communist Party and Catholic Church with the Jedi, and there you go.

I like how in the BSG remake, felgercarb became a brand of toothpaste.

Farscape I thought was particularly good at coming up with made-up expletives that, while obviously invented, made it perfectly clear exactly what it was intended to express (not to mention, they just sounded like something an angry person would yell). It also helped that those expletives were used in a coherent, consistent way.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I wanted orange. It gave me lemon-lime.

22. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Depends on the breakdown between the "Legendary" aspect of starwars and the post WWII influence on the original creators.
    Does Han take a swing of Ale, Mead, various types of Wine (Sake, Palm wine, Grapes), or the more modern Beer.

Would Han listen to rock or, Opera/Orchestral, Griot story telling, Bard music, Indian Raagas, or the massive catalog of east Asian traditional musics. It really come down on how much post WWII americana you like in your starwars.

23. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    God I love Farscape.

[​IMG]

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think all linguistic words are inherently related to something specifically cultural in the world. Fascist is no different from anything else.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The word that always sticks out like a sore thumb when I hear it is when Obi-wan talks about a damn fool idealistic crusade. What, the Jedi all stitched crosses onto their robes and went on an armed pilgrimage to free the holy land from the Sith?