main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How can Obi-Wan possibly beat Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Anakin_Kenobi, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_Kenobi

Anakin_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    I mean, we see that Obi has aged(as evidenced in the fight with Jango Fett), and he's not as fast or as agile as the DOTF fight with Darth Maul.Once Anakin goes to the dark side, he will gain more power(I think). How is it possible for Obi-Wan to beat him?

2. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    "How can Obi-Wan possibly beat Anakin?"

Because The Force is his ally.
    And a powerful ally it is.

3. Darth_Tyrannous

Darth_Tyrannous Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Well, I can garuntee your anwser in three years but before then...

4. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    same way obi beat maul. anakin is too cockey hes going to screw up and pay for it.

5. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Think about it. Everyone who has ever lost in a Star Wars movie has done so because they got cockey and overconfident and therefore let their guard down. It happened to Tarkin, it happend the Palpatine, it happened to Boba Fett, it happened to Maul, it happened to Gunray. And already we are seeing signs of Anakin's cockiness in ATOC. This theme is a very subtle one, but it has been thier from the beginning and seems obvious to me that it will continue to be a Star Wars villian's greatest adversary.

As a side note, I have always found it very interesting that Vader is the only villian who wasn't cockey! He is the one telling Motti not to be too proud of the Deathstar's power. Even when he lost to Luke it was simply because Luke overwhelmed him with a suprise attack. I'm thinking the reason for Vader's causious nature is due to a lesson learned at the hands of Obi-Wan that resulted in his greatest defeat.

I think also that when Vader told Obi-Wan "When last we met I was but a learner, now I am the master" he meant before I was young and cockey, Now I have more experience and patience and have learned to focus my rage against you and will not make the same mistake again.

6. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    I have always thought that it has to do with how powerful in the force Obi-Wan was.

Obi-Wan has always been a Jedi since he was a baby.He lives the life of a true full Jedi in the lightside of the force.Because he is all good,he can use the lightside of the force to it's full potential.

Anakin has always had problems.He has fear,anger etc,etc, which would never make him reach his full potential in the lightside of the force.If he had been a Jedi since birth,it could have been alot different.

As Anakin embraces the darkside of the force,he becomes a beginner.He is strong in the force,but not strong enough in the darkside of the force yet,to be able to defeat a powerful Jedi Master using the lightside of the force to the maximum.

Anakin would put up a good fight,because he is powerful,but he couldn't possibly defeat Kenobi.Again,if Anakin was a true Jedi using the lightside of the force,the duel could have gone and probably would have gone in Anakins favour.

Years later when Anakin and Kenobi duel again,it's a totally different story.After using the darkside of the force for 20 years,Anakin is now very powerful in the darkside of the force,and is more than a match for an older Kenobi,who knows that he cannot defeat Anakin this time,and instead becomes one with the force !!!

7. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    we are missing an important point here.

the dark side is faster,etc., but NOT stronger.
    as anakin will find out - but not "see the light..."

and by the way, how is age and agility a factor?

[see count dooku vs. yoda]

8. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Anakins overconfidence will be his undoing.

9. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    And no one will know Anakin's fighting style better than ObiWan.

10. Count_Cuckoo

Count_Cuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 15, 2001
    Very True Slave2, I never thought of that.

11. Dayron_Fett

Dayron_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    Yea...Like the guy said above, How is age a factor? Have you seen Yoda?

12. Vermano

Vermano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 1999
    One thing that seems to be clear from TPM and ATOC is that Obi Wan does NOT give up. Ever. Against Maul, his master was killed. He kept coming. He fell down the pit. He kept coming. Same thing against Jango Fett and the monsters in the arena. This guy doesn't know quitting. He will take a beating against Anakin, but he will get him in the end.

13. 0bi-Wan

0bi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 13, 2001
    Obi-Wan is going to make a baked potato out of Anakin's skull.

--O.W.

14. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Not Nute Gunray my friend. Nute Gunray lives....long live Nute!!!

15. NateDawgNT

NateDawgNT Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Jango fight?!?! U fiend u ruined the movie!
    Naw just playin, dawg, Jango was tired as hell after that.
    Obi Wan is lightning

16. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I don't expect to see Obi-Wan kick Anakins arse. They'll duel but it will be a draw. Something else will cause Anakins severe injuries. Like unstable ground will knock him into a pit.

17. DarthGyos

DarthGyos Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    It seemed that Obi Wan was growing into his style and swordmanship in AOTC. Notice how suave and reserved Dooku is. By Ep3, Obi Wan is more powerful, and most of all more experienced. Anakin is in Ep3 what Obi was in Ep2. Eventhough Anakin is the chosen one, Obi is his teacher. And as we all know, a good teacher doesn't teach his student everything.

Prediction: No faulty floors. No ouside interference. Just a good old fashioned OBI- WAN BEATDOWN.

How cool would it be if the Emperor comes in and saves Anakin from Obi-Wans final death blow, with a parry from his never before seen lightsaber? Oh so cool!

18. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Hmmm, the way I see it going down it will be on the attack: Attack! Attack! Attack! Obi-Wan will be defending, parrying, blocking, ducking, Jumping, all the while pleading with Anakin to think about what he's doing. To remember that they are friends. To think about how his actions will hurt his wife. Then Obi-Wan will start attacking after he realizes the futility of his words. He will push Anakin back and over a ledge. Obi-Wan will try to save him but Anakin will try to pull him over so that they both die together. Obi-Wan frees himself of Anakin's grip at the last secon and Anakin plumits to his supposed death.

No, I don't believe it will happen exactly like that, but I think this is the basic idea.

19. Sand Hippie

Sand Hippie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 1999
    Obi will beat Ani for the same reason Obi was able to find Zam in the bar and Ani wasn't.

SH

20. Siphor

Siphor Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    Obi-Wan's paitience will help him defeat Anakin for the reason like in the bar when they were searching for Zam, and when they faced Dooku, Obi-Wan was getting the game plan ready and Anakin charged in.

21. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Prediction: No faulty floors. No ouside interference. Just a good old fashioned OBI- WAN BEATDOWN.

LoL, I hope so! :)

22. Malkuth_Toltec

Malkuth_Toltec Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002

I hope so too. I cannot begin to describe how much it will ruin the movie for me if the Vader Vs Obi Wan duel has "outside interference." It will feel hollow and shallow.

I think in previous posts, the descriptions of patience and experience make Obi Wan more suited to the duel. That and unlike Anakin, he knew his place, listened, obeyed and benefitted from it. He may not have Anakin's natural gifts, but he is more willing to learn and lacks the arrogance.

How that line from ANH will resonate now.

"When I last saw you I was but the learner, now I am the master."

23. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well we've already seen that the elder you are and the more years you have had learning the Force means you're a better swordsman, look at Dooku and his beatdown of Anakin & Obi-Wan.

For me the duel will be very much forced on Obi-Wan because he doesn't wish to hurt his Padawan but merely turn him from the Darkside (Remember the age old line "Obi-Wan once thought as you do...").
    Obi-Wan will probably force Anakin to make a mistake therefore Anakin will be the reason for his own injuries and not Obi-Wan. Although Obi-Wan could blame himself for what happens therefore leaving Anakin to die.

24. JaRJaR45

JaRJaR45 Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    I don't think that Obi-Wan is gonna "beat down" Anakin, giving him his injuries. That's not the way he is. The way I think that the duel goes down is that it's shown that Anakin's abilities far surpass Obi-Wan's, but he's still too hotheaded, makes a critical mistake and Obi-Wan uses his smarts to wound Anakin (giving him the scars on his head). Instead of going in for the kill, he tries to reason with Anakin and turn him back, but Anakin charges Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan defends himself, knocks Anakin's lightsaber aside while Anakin falls into the lavapit. Obi-Wan tries to help Anakin, but it's too late.

25. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    People,you do realise that when you fall in Lava,you don't survive.You die.

i carn't see Lava being used in the Film !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.