main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How can the First Order and New Republic co-exist?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JackP, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackP

JackP Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2015
    So the First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire, fine. And the New Republic is the ... new republic, also fine.

But how can they both exist at the same time?

2. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    The Visual Dictionary has a good background explanation, as do the novels:

In a nutshell - the Empire and the Rebellion signed a peace treaty, ending the first civil war a little under 30 years ago.

As part of that deal, everyone was mean to get rid of their big weapons/star destroyers / big guns and live in harmony - the remnants of the Empire went off to the outer rim to live their lives under the agreement of the accord. The New Republic got about trying to restore some form of democracy.

Leia didn't trust this deal and was very wary of the Republic's complacency, so she started her own personal paramilitary / vigilante armed group, the Resistance (though what they are resisting is a bit unclear) to keep an eye on the goings-on of Neo-Empire / First Order. She is seen as a bit of a pariah in TFA - warmonger/ alarmist (and I am sure that there would be rumours and hints of her connection to Luke Skywalker though I guess that no one has worked out that Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader).

In a deleted scene that is in the book, she sends emissaries off to Hosnian Prime (RIP) to warn the senate that the First Order are about to break the term of the accord and have been secretly arming themselves. Her words are not heeded and of course, she is proven correct, with not only the Republic's entire governance system decimated after the Starkiller attack, but with the peace treaty obviously being violated with the added effect that the Republic has been disarmed for the last 30 years, other than presumably, Leia's Resistance.

So .. we will end up at the beginning of the third galactic civil war in VIII with Leai's Resistance on one side and whatever is left behind of the First Order, on the other.

(for whatever it's worth - history is full of situations like this - look up the FDLR in the Congo after the Rwandan civil war in Africa)

MattOrgana likes this.
  3. JackP

Aug 11, 2015
    Thanks for your answer :)

Okay, so the Empire retreated to the outer rim. Under the agreement of the accord, were the Empire running the outer rim? How does the First Order seem to have power as well as the New Republic, though? I can see how the Resistance would exist (thanks to your explanation:)) but I just don't see how the First Order and New Republic fit in, how they both are there, and apparently in power?

4. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Interesting, so Jakku could have been a planet where they just dumped their WMD according to the treaty, a spacecraft boneyard in a manner of speaking or was it just a battleground?

Now, in old rome you sent individuals, i.e. senators or dictators that had fallen out of favor into exile and to the Roman outer rim territories, but what's the explanation for entire populations of planets or core worlds loyal to the former Galactic Empire? So these people had to give up their belongings and were relocated on planets like Tatooine?

And how did the inhabitants of outer rim worlds, previously not yet affected by the politics of the core worlds (according to Biggs in ANH), welcome the "refugees"?

I'm sorry to say, but unless additional information is available that sounds like a concept not entirely thought-through.

wolfwood89 likes this.
  5. Mars457

Mars457 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 3, 2013
    How can the United States and ISIS exist at the same time?

The Resistance's existence, and the Republic's unwillingness to go to war directly, is a great example of how Reality Ensues. War fatigue and politics prevent the "good guys" from taking direct action against a rising threat before it gets too big to handle easily.

Chewies_bandolier and Strongbow like this.
  6. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    It's a cold war scenario and the Republic is taking action against the FO by proxy (the Resistance) since they are "at peace".

Jakku was the last major battle of the war.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Jakku was the site of a huge battle... the last major battle of the Galactic Civil War. Following that battle, the remnants of the Empire retreated to the Unknown Regions and the Accords were signed. I don't think we've gotten any information on planets loyal to the Empire. I'm sure there are pockets of loyalty, but I don't think there's been any suggestion of entire planets that are loyal to the Empire. Aftermath has suggested that there is some civil unrest in the chaos in the wake of the founding of the New Republic.

8. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    The Republic holds a lot more systems but is demilitarised, the First Order holds some star systems but is armed to the teeth. The Resistance are an anti-First Order alliance allied to the Republic - that's how I understand it.

Whether it is a decision just to relive the Empire vs the Rebels though, it's too early to say. You'd think now the First Order has blown up a star system, the Republic would gun-up and reinforce the resistance.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  9. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    Not explaining this in the ACTUAL film, brought it down for me.

wolfwood89 likes this.
  10. JackP

Aug 11, 2015
    Ohh okay, so the Galaxy is (probably) no longer united? Some parts are ruled by the New Republic, some are under the First Order? Good explanation as any :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.