main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How can the original show NOT be canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark-lord97, May 2, 2015.

1. Dark-lord97

Dark-lord97 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014
    Pardon me if I am dead wrong here.

But how can the original clone wars show possibly be counted as legends? It filled in very important plot holes between Episodes II and III, showed how the characters developed and bonded with each other, how Anakin became a Jedi and so on. It didn't really contradict the newer animated show either, so why is it not canon? To me it's almost important as the movies in terms of contunity and this is kind of a slap in the face.

whostheBossk, Valiowk, xezene and 6 others like this.
  2. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    Originally it was intended for TCW to cover the timeframe of the old show, too. In order to avoid contradictions or overlaps, and to allow more freedoms to the writers of TCW, Tartakovsky's show was downgraded.
    I for one don't mind. It is still a nice work of art in its strong parts, regardless of its canonicity.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's still canon to me.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    In my head, all cartoons are canon. :)

5. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Actually, if you think about it, you can squeeze in both shows together. Both volumes of the micro series seemed to be before and after TCW as TCW never showed events leading up to ROTS. The micro series first volume also seemed to be before TCW, but I might be wrong about these assumptions. Either way, I enjoy both series whether there canon or not, then again I never really cared what was canon in the first place as long as it was a good story and fun.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It's not Canon for the same reason The EU is not Canon to give space.

7. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    This and a few of the Star Wars: Republic things are still in my head canon.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    This is a pet peeve of mine, you are misusing the term "plot holes".

Official definition: "A plot hole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation"

Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith are a logical story progression. Just because we do not see the events in between (until the 2D and 3D Clone Wars series released) does not mean that plot holes existed or had to be filled.

Not seeing Anakin's knighting ceremony or Palpatine's capture are not plot holes. They are simply events that we did not see. A plot hole would be if, in A New Hope, Obi-Wan said "Anybody can use the force and become a Jedi" or if in Revenge of the Sith we saw that Leia was not Luke's sister despite Return of the Jedi telling us he is.

9. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I really wish this series was still considered canon because it seems to cover the period before TCW and then it covers events closer to ROTS. The only thing in it that I see as contradictory is Grevious' immense skill.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Official canon definition doesn't mean the story doesn't make sense.

My clone wars blu-rays have ALWAYS sat between volumes 1 and 2 (sadly my only current Star Wars DVDs, as there's been no re-release) of the microseries.

The show's over, and it's unlikely they'll ever be contradicted to the point of impossibility (though there have always been some contradictions), so I still accept them as canon on a personal note.

11. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Basically they kept everything Lucas worked on as canon. I would imagine if Lucas took no part in the making of TCW it wouldn't be canon anymore either.

whostheBossk and Master Kinard like this.
  12. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    There is a way to kinda of squeeze this in too, you just have to change timeline events. Move the 1st two seasons of the gendy series as well as novels like cestus deception,jedi trial,shatterpoint, and dark rendevous to the first six months of the war.

jedi trial depicts Anakin last mission before being made a knight and Christophis in the tcw movie is stated to be 6 months after genosis already. Then move season 3 of the gendy series and labryinth of evil novel to after season six of tcw.

There are some problems such as depa bilaba In shatterpoint going colonel kurtz when in the neu she would be training Kanan from rebels at this point.

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    Honestly, Star Wars: Clone Wars should be canon. The show featured plenty of good moments and characters. It was the jump-start to TCW.

14. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Recent one April 2015:
    How the Clone Wars microseries led the way for Star Wars' return to TV
    Lisa Granshaw
    http://www.blastr.com/2015-4-29/how-clone-wars-microseries-led-way-star-wars-return-tv
    2012:
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/...e_Of_His_SW_Clone_Wars_MicroSeries_148068.asp
    2008:

15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks for this overdose of Genndy interviews, he was one of my role models as a teen. :)

Vorax and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    There are only some contradictions so it still works.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Been a while since I watched the now non canon clone wars show but from what I remember I believe Anakin has a much different personality in that show than he did in TCW.

18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Yea he acted the way he REALLY acted in the movies.

lovelikewinter and spicer like this.
  19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Right, his portrayal is more in line with the films, so technically TCW is a bit more out of line.

But TCW portrays Anakin as he SHOULD have been from the beginning, so I'm hardly complaining.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I don't think that is something to be proud of. The way he acted in the movies was not a very fluid transition from point A to point B at all. What TCW did was give Anakin's characterization a more fluid transition and made the differences between him from Ep. II to III more believable.

21. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    So he goes back to being a brat in ROTS?

spicer likes this.
  22. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

I write that up to a very average writer and director and I think most would be smart not to write and direct like Lucas did.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

TCW made it much more believable how a little bratty kid like we saw in Ep. II and III could be in charge of leading armies alongside Obi Wan. Lucas just chose to show us the extremes (and maybe he wasn't a good enough writer to show the non extremes).

pepoluan likes this.
  24. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Although I prefer the microseries, Anakin was a more likable character in TCW and that was great!

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    TCW made Anakin a character you could actually root for plus his voice was so much cooler than the EMO sounding Anakin of the 2d series:p