main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series How can the original show NOT be canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark-lord97, May 2, 2015.

1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'll just quote my post I made a couple of weeks ago in the Lit forums since I consider it fits in this thread

2. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Ventress got her backstory in one of the Nightsister episodes But i am guessing you are referring to how she started working for Dooku?
    Still, it ain't essential any longer.

JediMasterAang and EternalHero like this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yes, I'm referring as to how she started to work with Dooku and how she knows Anakin.

And story wise, I do believe it is essential since there is nothing else in the official Canon (or Legends as far as I remember) that depicts the knighting of Anakin.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Didn't they show Dooku finding Ventress in one of the flashbacks in the Ventress episodes?

5. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    That was some other Jedi.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    rumsmuggler and spicer like this.
  7. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Star Wars has always relied on storytelling that leaves certain pieces of the puzzle unrevealed, so it's not as if TCW starting "in media res" is anything new as far as the franchise's narrative framework and structure are concerned.

Stuff like Anakin's Knighting, how he got the scar on his face, Ventress' past with him and Obi-Wan, etc. really aren't things that we absolutely need to have had explained to us, because the story works just as well with said details left unexplained as it would if they had been explained to us.

8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I dont think we seen any knighting ceremony which is annoying, it was even cut outve ESB for Luke. Anakin scar I think was needed to be told, for that we'll have to conclude Ventress gave him that one. But I do not remember that scar on Old Anakin.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, in the Kanan comic there's hints that Depa was "unstable" or "out of action" for some of the war - until she emerged from something, and took Kanan as her Padawan, right before the end of the war.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah, Weisman pretty much has the comic say "Yeah, Shatterpoint happened. It's just that the aftermath didn't go the way you thought it was gonna go. She got better."

Good looking out, Weisman.

11. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Ok, have not read that one yet.

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    The funny thing is, if you watch the flashback in the s3 Nightsister arc, there's a scene with Dooku accepting Ventress that seems to closely resemble the scene where he did it in the Micro-seires (in his private chambers, after the arena)

I'm not saying every explicit detail of the micro-series needs to be canon if you don't like it (I was never a fan of the Genny art style, for example)... but I still think there's a precedent for keeping the gist of the story. Little to nothing was explicitly contradicted. Clone Wars also mentions Mace on Dantooine at some point, so he still has a connection there. Heck, the mistake of putting Eeth Koth's character model on the council in the micro-series actually more closely aligns with TCW than the original intentions (where it was Agen Kolar). I would not be surprised if that mistake is one of the reasons they decided "Screw it. We'll revive Koth"

13. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The way I see it, the 2D Clone Wars is canon... from a certain point of view. The events seen in the 2D series serve as backstory and a conclusion to the 3D The Clone Wars, however canon-wise the events played out as they would on the 3D show. Sort of like how Superman The Movie and Superman II serve as the backstory to Superman Returns despite the many visual differences. The Jedi flying about and punching battle droids is simply the over the top nature of the 2D series, the silent moments and minimal dialogue as well. I'd like to think the 2D Clone Wars happened, but in a more grounded way.

14. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    TMS works for me in the same way the Ewok TV movies & Droids/Ewoks cartoons work. They kind of take place in a parallel reality. Between AotC and TCW GL really got hold of what he wanted the Clone Troopers to be. TMS Clones don't connect with that. TMS fits into the first wave of Clone Wars stuff - Dark Horse, video games, novels - perfectly; but it doesn't really fit with GL's version of the Clone War. You can kind of jam it on as a prologue/epilogue but I prefer to just watch it as a cool stand-alone animated SW movie. Doesn't have to "fit" anywhere, no more than Mungo Boabab or Duloks do. It's just part of the old EU: a sprawling, open ended sandbox to play in.

whostheBossk and SilentGuy66 like this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Personally when I was younger and I saw the show on Cartoon Network for the first time I found the art style of CW and the fact there was hardly any speaking....creepy (I wasn't into star wars yet) plus Anakin, the main hero I was supposed to root for had a face like a slapped arse whenever he was in a scene. Seriously TCW Anakin knows how to crack a smile!

cwustudent likes this.
  16. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I prefer to look at the original series as if a character is recalling the days of the Clone Wars, so there are a number of generalizations and exaggerations. These events could have happened, so they're quasi-canon unless overwritten in my opinion.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's a lot of fun but it's way over the top.

darklordoftech and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU actually dropped hints that the kid on Dantooine went on to broadcast his version of those events in the Imperial era:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Paxi_Sylo

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    That's exactly what the Legends continuity is... A parallel universe for all of the Star Wars material that Lucas didn't think up and create.

cwustudent and Iron_lord like this.
  20. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    I like to Imagine someone at Lucasfilm told Disney about it when the eu was wiped.The Disney guy is like "I wan't to see is it fit to stay.Send me a copy so I can check it"Then he throws it out the window and declares it as canon as tag and bink after he see's the Grevious duel.Yes I know nothing like this ever happened but I can DREAM ok?

21. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Exactly why I like it.

22. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Ventress even takes his lightsaber and uses in in the arena in the Microseries.

23. Dark-lord97

Dark-lord97 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 8, 2014

Of course I know what a plot hole is, I guess I was tired or something when I started this thread. What I meant was that it filled the gap between the two movies and made the transition more believeable.

24. Binary Sunset

Binary Sunset Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 31, 2014
    One of my favorite duels (Duel on Yavin 4) came from the series.

25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    whostheBossk likes this.