main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How can we get a Fan Force Chapter here?

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by roguewolf, Apr 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roguewolf

roguewolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 27, 2001
    Sooooo how can we?

and do you guys want to?

2. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    Hi roguewolf! :D

Here's what's "officially" needed to become an actual FanForce Chapter:

**How can my city be recognized by TFN as an OFFICIAL FanForce City?

Well, it's simple. Each metropolitan city is divided into regions. (You can view a list of U.S regions and International Regions here.) These regions are also "categories" on the FanForce Discussion Forums. These regions contain unique City forums, where Star Wars fans and TFN users can get together online and meet fellow, like-minded fans from their area. But FanForce is not about the "online" world. The "online" world at TFN FanForce is just a tool to help these cities effectively run their FanForce. With that being said, each City Forum is encouraged to form a grass-roots club, which will become the local official embodiment of TheForce.Net. This club or group will be referred to as a FanForce!

The following is a list of pre-requisites in order for your city group to be recognized as an official TFN FanForce:

1) Get to know everyone posting in the forums for your respective cities. If your city is currently not on the forums, start it up! Maintaining a strong presence on the forums is vital!

2) Start planning group activities and meeting with each other! Communities are not built over the Internet alone!

3) [IMPORTANT] Your city group must plan and execute three events or activities and have advance notice of each posted on the FanForce Headlines/Main page. We want you guys to build grassroots, self-contained clubs that actually do more than just chat on the forums all the time! Network with your fellow fans! Without the completion of this particular guideline, consideration cannot be given.*

4) Choose one individual to represent your organization to FanForce. This person will work directly with a FanForce Regional Support Administrator to help you plan out activities, interface with charities, gather sponsors (if and when necessary) and address all issues and concerns regarding FanForce and TheForce.Net in general.

5) A local FanForce can be run any way the fans of that city wish it to be run. All we ask is that you use our TFN FanForce City Forums as your online meeting place!

(Special consideration can be given to city groups and clubs that have demonstrated a sustained membership and record of activity). Some will question why we have these stipulations to gaining FanForce status. The answer is simple. We don't want FanForce cities that do nothing but talk to each other on the forums. FanForce is much more dynamic than that. We want to hear about what you're doing -- whether it's Star Wars-related or not. Star Wars is what brought us all together, but our community involvement with one another is the glue that will keep us that way.

No, I did not write that, just copied and pasted. ;)

So... how many people would be interested in an actual meeting? I'm definately interested, but I'm not sure if my parents will be quite so enthusiastic. :p (I hate being like the youngest person in this area of the boards! Grr! ;) ) As/if this does become more serious, I'll try and convince them to let me be a part of it. :D

So, anybody else? :)

3. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm up for meeting up if anybody collects figures like I do...as long as Toys R Us at Crabtree Valley Mall reconsiders and opens at midnight April 23rd. :D

4. roguewolf

Aug 27, 2001
    wow, now thats requirements ;)

but hey i'm up for meeting for collectors, events, anything is a go for me!

5. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    LOL! Actually, the requirements aren't so difficult as they look. :) Get to know everyone here, have three meetings, and vote on a city rep. ;) :D

6. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    weren't there a bunch of people in the snow thread? its too bad like only 2 or 3 of them post in this section...if at all. [face_love]

7. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Greetings! I'm James, the Charlotte City Rep. I see that y'all have a lot of activity going on.

Perhaps you should set up a meeting before AOTC? Remember, to become an official FanForce, all you guys need are 3 meetings with 3 people. Simple as that. Voting on the City Rep is an entirely different matter though ;)

Good luck, and if y'all need anything, feel free to ask! :D

8. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Hey gang! This is your friendly neighborhood FanForce South Regional Support Admin!

I just thought I would drop by to see how you folks are doing. :)

As Jedi_Laura_Kenobi has mentioned, you only need to hold three meetings, with three people in attendance at each meeting, to become an official FanForce chapter. It seems to me as if there are enough folks here to get things rolling.

If y'all have any questions, or need any help getting started, please contact me via PM or send an e-mail to minacia@fanforce.net.

9. roguewolf

Aug 27, 2001
    Hey we should hold a FanForce meeting here in Raleigh!! Where do you guys wanna meet!?
    I'm at State but i know where almost everything is, so i'm in the know :)
    I seroiusly think we should start one up, i mean look at the attention we've been getting ^^^ :cool:

10. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm game for it!

Speaking of which, I'll set up the first one, Saturday April 13, 5PM. Crabtree Valley Mall, Panera Bread.

And the second one - April 20, 12noon Star Wars CCG Regional Tournament - C&B Comics , 112 1/2 Main St. Oxford, NC .... yes that one's a little tough for most to make, but there will be about 40 Star Wars CCG gamers from all over the south there.

You guys and gals pick the 3rd one.

Tallon Kaardgamer
    look for an old greying guy in a star wars tie-dyed shirt

11. roguewolf

Aug 27, 2001
    hmm, the first i can't make cuz i'll be at a United Nations conference, but the second one i'm game for! :)

hmm, the third could be like May 4 at 12 noon...i just cant think of where...

12. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    When there is a consensus about when and where a meeting will be held, would someone please send me a PM with all the information (time, place, contact name and contact e-mail) so that I can post it on the FanForce web site? Meetings must be posted on the FF site to count toward your official total.

If you have any questions or need any assistance, please let me know. :)

13. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    well those first two suggestions are probably a big NO for me. My car barely makes it around the Raleigh area to travel to Oxford and Saturday Nights I'm usually hanging with my friends (who I rarely see anymore b/c of work and such)...I dunno if I would personally be interested until we got at least 10-20 people interested...

14. roguewolf

Aug 27, 2001
    come on DinoX...it all starts with one :)

15. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Hey, remember, if one person can't attend a FF meeting, others will. And you can always come to another meeting! :D

16. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jul 23, 2001
    Wow, lots of replies! :p I've been VERY busy, sorry.

I can't make the first meeting on the 13th (this Saturday) - I'll be in Jacksonville at my little brothers' taekwando (sp??) tournament...

And as far as the second one, I don't think I could do that either... :( Sorry!

Hopefully there will be something that I can come to eventually, but right now with school and all life's crazy! :p

17. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    I've contacted the management at South Hills Mall and received the ok to set up a Star Wars Celebration (that can double as a FanForce meeting).

What: Star Wars Celebration
    Where : South Hills Mall, Buck Jones Rd. Cary
    When : Saturday May 11, 2002 10AM-6PM

What more : Star Wars CCG tournaments and open gaming, Star Wars RPG open play , Star Wars Miniature gaming. Players pay $5 each for whole day of fun!

What's even more: vendors / collectors who want to sell Star Wars collectables, toys, action figures, comics, RPG books. $25 per table.

This should give plenty of time for those busy souls out there to plan. Come in costume and hang out! The mall will put this out on the marquee.

Now lets get out there and get the word out!

Tallon Kaardgamer
    (alternate ego of Don Weinstein ,
    Star Wars CCG tourney director)
    contact me for more info at my email at donweinstein@yahoo.com

18. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Isn't there a similar event sometime at South Square Mall? Have any details?

I may be able to "Troop" in my Stormtrooper costume.

Thanks! ;)

19. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    If you mean where's the 501st showing up, I've talked to Sean and BJ in the Southern garrison, and it's my event at South Hills mall on Saturday May 11 you're supposed to go to, not South Square.

Tallon

20. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    Its too bad that there aren't alot of people in the Raleigh vicinity (Raleigh/Wake Forest/Rolesville) that wanna hold one in Raleigh...a cookout would be cool...

21. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    This is what I was referring to:

http://www.501stsg.com/southsquare.htm

I'm a little confused. Is it South Square Mall or South Hills Mall?

22. dinoX

Feb 20, 2002
    Apparantly the brand new one in durham, which for me, is not anywhere near where I live. that'd be more attributed to a Durham Fan Force chapter I'd assume...not Raleigh. But oh well.

23. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    TK-924,
    Ok, I went to that web site and I certainly understand the confusion.

I'm in charge of that CCG event, and I wrote the press release. It's DEFINITELY South Hills Mall in Cary.

I'll send a note to Sean in the 501st to clarify that.

24. TallonKaardgamer

Apr 9, 2002
    My concept for the Raleigh FanForce is inclusive of all cities and towns in the North Carolina Triangle. That includes Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Raleigh, Carrboro, everyone. I'm not leaving anyone out. Everyones included. The more the merrier!

25. TK-924

TK-924 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.