main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How can you find the PT better than the OT?!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi_Knight_Kenobi, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    "After all - the friendship between Anakin and Obi is supposed to be a major part of the story. Isn't it?"

Is it? It's a part of the story, certainly, but I don't know if it's necessarily a major part.

I don't know if I'd call it important, but it is something that Ben established in the OT that wasn't followed through in the PT. Obi-wan was shown as a mentor to Anakin, not as a friend. Just because they have pleasant banter from time to time doesn't mean they are friends. Anakin many times refers to Obi-wan as a father figure, never refers to him as a friend. Obi-wan talks down to Anakin often and never refers to him as a friend.

But really, after the direction TPM took Anakin, this was the only thing GL could do with AOTC. For the friendship to be present on screen, it needed to be established before the wedge of recentment appears between the two, and what better way than to show them as friends before he agrees to train him, in TPM? But instead, Obi-wan was stepping up to fill in the father figure role which QGJ left with his death.

2. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "No. But then, I don't presume to tell Mr. Tarintino how he "should" have made a better movie."

That presumes Lucas reads these boards.

"I just accept the fact that I think Pulp Fiction is an overrated, egotistical filmmaking exercise and move on with my life."

Baiting.

"You won't find me frequenting Tarintino fansites, taking every opportunity to insult the man and his work. Pity you don't extend the same courtesy to Mr. Lucas and his fans."

More baiting. This from the man who displayed an inability to understand how I could possibly turn a benign statement into a personal attack. [face_laugh]

Once again, you are attempting to "embarrass" people into not putting down the PT. Once again, it will have no effect.

Perhaps I'm not the only one who should move on with my life? ;)

3. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    So how is that a straw man? Unless by "straw man" you mean "reduced the original argument to shambles."

it is a straw man argument because you fabricated a point that no one ever made and then argued against it while avoiding the real point.

remember when you posted this Durwood?

You're basically saying, "Lucas doesn't care about the story because he didn't do it exactly how I would have done it!"

the problem is no one ever said that, other than you. i guess if you cant argue with reason then you will just make up things to argue about. isnt that what you are "basically saying"?

4. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    I think some here need to take a step back and cool off a little before things get out of hand, all right?

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The CT mod agrees.

6. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Once there was a movie called Star Wars. And it was a great movie, arguably the best ever made. It was so good in fact, that it spawned sequels. Two of the sequels came in rather quick succession, and then there was a break. Then, many years later, more sequels were spawned, and all the sequels were essentially equal. None were as good as the original, but all were good in their own ways. And there is one more yet to come, and it will undoubtedly be good, although again not as good as the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.