main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How come conservatives aren't a larger part of the intellectual community?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Obi-Wan McCartney, Nov 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Not always, Nyder. The overwhelming majority of lectures in the Politics department where I study is moderate, and the leftists seem to all teach from a dialectics position - for every thesis (left/center/right) put forward by someone, they'll find the antithesis, then resolve the difference by a synthesis. The Australian Politics lecturers are Labor Right, the the Gender Politics are left, the IR staff are mostly moderates.

E_S

2. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Most of my PoliSci teachers are liberals. I'm usually the soul Republican (though I fancy myself a right-leaning independant) in my class.

Most of my teachers are good about keeping their ideology out of the lessons.

My favorite teacher is much like Condi Rice in that he's conservative on issues pertaining to foriegn policy, but liberal in social and domestic issues.

3. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Because conservatives are delivering practical solutions to real-world problems, while left-wingers rely on theories! :p ;)

I'm a PolSci major too. And yes, most of my lecturers/tutors are raving left-wingers!

Some are good at keeping their politics out. But others don't care.

One of my tutors said in class 'The Governor of the Reserve bank should be elected, that would be fairer after all'.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jansons, I'm very similar; conservative internationally, centrist-liberal domestically. However, this doesn't tend to mix well with the "conservatives" here because of my perceptions of certain situations and belief in international law.

E_S

5. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Marv, don't make me kick ya in the nuts again! :eek:

E_S

7. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Indeed. I wouldn't be able to return the favour, after all!! :p

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    :eek: :mad:

//kicks Marv in the nuts...again

E_S

9. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    You Communist!!

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [face_laugh] I can see Marx addressing the Paris Commune:
    "There is a <kick> spectre <kick> looming over all of <kick> Europe..." as the entire room lies clutching their nads.

Call me a commie again, and I shall torture you with cushions! And not just any cushions! Cushions with the stuffing in one end!"

We're sooooo off topic...

E_S

11. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    ES, I didnt know you felt that way about me! ;)

I am flattered ;) :p :p

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    It's my experience, being at University, that the proportions of Leftist/Rightist lecturers tends to drift somewhere around 75%/25%. That 75% are GENERALLY concentrated in humanities and arts subjects (English, Politics, Sociology, etc., and pretty much all of them except history, which seems to be a Conservative subject (mostly because Conservatives are traditionalists and history is the subject expression of this)). Conservatives tend to group closer towards the 'bread and butter' subjects like Maths and Science.

I can't offer any reason for this, except that, within it's ideologies, leftism is much more complex than the Right (fascism and nationalism are easier to understand than, say, Marxism and Anarchism in their economic and social forms). For that reason, since University-types are more apt to study them, and thus understand them, they're better influenced.

As an alternate reason, consider this: people who study math and the "hard" sciences tend to be more well-rounded.

Hear me out, first. I am a Computer Engineering student. My courses have a stronf emphasis on math and physics (as well as their applications to engineering). I need to take calculus, differential equations, matrix algebra, discrete math and statistics. I also have to take at least 3 semesters of calculus-based physics. However, I am still required to take a fairly strong series of english classes (both composition and literature), social sciences (in my case I took government), communications, and economics.

Compare this with an English or History major at my school. They only need 2 math classes (nothing more complex than algebra), 2 science classes (which are, frankly, a joke) and that's it. While I have to become functional in their disciplines, they need to learn almost nothing about my fields. There is no way that they can possibly receive as well-balanced an education that way.

Take my brother, for instance (sorry, bro). He got his degree in Political Science, but is currently working on becoming an author/screenwriter. As a scene in one of the movies he has written, he wanted to do something that is impossible according to the laws of physics. It was something that you cover in high school physics. We have had many arguments/discussions about that scene, but he still does not seem to understand why it wouldn't work.

As one person said on SlashDot, "If you can't discourse on the structure of a sonnet and the second law of thermodynamics with equal ease, then you're uncultured, period."

Kimball Kinnison

13. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I see your point there.

I think that there should be basic courses that are compulsory for ALL students.

Like, for example, all students, no matter what degree they do, should do basic courses in the following:
    1. Basic Maths
    2. Governemnt
    3. English
    4. Basic Basic science
    5. Basic computer skills.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maths? **** that! :eek:

I walked out of my final maths exam after staying the minimum 15 mins.

E_S

15. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    The tell me what log2 15 is! :p

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    AFTER you tell me who Ahmed ben Bella was!

E_S

17. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    He's my bitch!

log2 15!

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wrong!

E_S

19. 800-pound_ewok

800-pound_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2002
    LMAO [face_laugh]

you guys slay me, but i seriously think that we're way off topic here. let's try to preserve this thread, ok? heh heh. ;)

cheers!

20. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    I appologise for Ender Sai's behaviour...ever since he started post grad study, he hasnt had much to do! :p :p

21. 800-pound_ewok

Jul 2, 2002
    i totally get where ender's coming from. i'm in the same situation myself. i'm just tryin to get my MS and get on with my life. this, of course, leaves me with nothing much to do as well. ;)

cheers!

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Off topic? Nay! We're demonstrating why some just should not be in academia.
    It must be a Friday thing.

//kicks Marv in the nuts
    E_S

23. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Plus, all of us lazy-asses need to do something, we need to appear legitimate!!

24. 800-pound_ewok

Jul 2, 2002
    soon enough, marv will be singin like a soprano.

cheers!

25. 800-pound_ewok

Jul 2, 2002
    //kicks marv in the nuts

heh heh. just curious.

//kicks ender in the nuts

heh heh. just the same. ;)

cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.