main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How come no premium channels picked up R1?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I know Starz picked up TFA during the Fall of 2016 (about nine months since the theatrical release). I found it odd that no channel has since picked up Rogue One. I know it's been available as a pay On-Demand title, but it's weird that neither HBO, Starz, or Showtime has picked it up all this time.

2. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Noticed this.. Maybe soon, 2018??

3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Wasn't TFA released around the same time as R1 the year before; and as I mentioned it was picked up by Starz in the Fall of 2016. I vaguely remember a few years ago there was some issue regarding Starz' dealings with Disney movies, but I'm not sure how that's being concerned moving forward.

4. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Netflix did. They made a huge Disney agreement that they would get first run of all Disney content in the same time period that HBO/Starz/Showtime normally would have. It is the same deal that got them Zootopia/Beauty and the Beast/Dr Strange/Guardians of the Galaxy 2 etc.

This was big news when it was announced and also big news when Disney decided to cut the contract and launch their own streaming service. I am pretty sure that it was the largest amount Netflix had ever agreed to pay for licensed content.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

5. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I really want Rogue One to show up on a premium channel, but maybe that's not going to happen now? My ultimate goal is to get all the SW movies commercial free on my DVR, so I can play them on my Genie anywhere in the house. It's not too much to ask, and I yet, so far have only one of them.

6. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    The future is changing. Netflix IS the premium channel that picked it up. They bid over HBO/Showtime etc. I am not sure how you would be able to get Rogue One on your DVR unless another channel picks it up after the Netflix exclusive window. Another option...not that it will work for your current set up, is to purchase them all digitally, and watch them on the Movies Anywhere app on a OTTP box (i.e. Amazon Fire, Roku, Chromecast)

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Who knows, but it's not hard to find. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.