main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How come the Jedi Order doesn't embrace "Love"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by berserker, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berserker

berserker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2004
    The darkside thrives on hate. Why wouldn't the Jedi embrace love?

I suppose love could make the Jedi do irrational things to protect the people they love.

Is that the main reason?

2. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Yeah, I think so. Take Anakin Skywalker's case for example. I won't go into Episode III spoilers, but you can understand it from seeing AOTC. The whole fireplace scene showed how torn up Anakin was trying to decide what to do with his relationship with Padme and with his commitment as a Jedi. Later in the film, when he was chasing Dooku in the clone gunship, he almost abandoned his mission to check on Padme. He exemplified the fact that attachments are dangerous to Jedi and they can cause problems much too easily.

3. Shaman_of_the_Whills

Shaman_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005

The Jedi just don't understand that you can love, and have attachments, you just need to have self control so the desires that come with lve and attachments don't control your actions.

4. michaelbacca

michaelbacca Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2005
    I think that the reason they don't embrace love is that it would be a distraction. Such as when Padme fell from the Republic ship in AOTC and Anakin wanted to give up on Dooku in order to check on her. The Jedi Council don't want anybody to have obligations that are to anybody but them.

5. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Attachments effect decision making. Attachment to a person translates into a need to protect them. While an attachment to a particular planet or location would result in a bias favoring that place over others. These would hamper a Jedi?s ability to make sound decisions which are fair to all parties in a conflict.

Love and compassion are okay. The members of the order are able to care for other people and feel sympathy, friendship, and are able to care for them. What they aren?t allowed to do is marry and form lasting relationships. Jedi can have sex, as long as they aren?t attached to the partner. A lot of people tend to get confused and use ?love? and ?sex? interchangeably. They can?t have sexual love, but they can have sex and can have love. I suppose it is confusing but that is how I?ve always seen it.

-Seldon

6. berserker

berserker Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2004
    So Jedi can have one night stands?

7. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    George Lucas has stated that they can have sexual relationships.
    Attachment is what is forbidden.

-Seldon

8. Jedi_Aron_Tylander

Jedi_Aron_Tylander Jedi Youngling star 3

May 29, 2004
    A Jedi can have sex? For what? For pleasure?
    You cannot have sex without a reason. Maybe you are in-love with that person, or yeah, for pleasure, That's why i cannot agree with you guys that a Jedi can have sex. A Jedi is focused in discipline, that's why they are very very strict even attachments are forbidden. They can love, but only up to the levels of sympathy, for their masters as their parents. And I think that's the reason why the Force decided to clean them all up.

9. adolfhitler

adolfhitler Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2005
    I could`nt be a jedi with Natali Portman running around, they`d kick me out. It`s kind of dumb really, like they`re priests or something, and you see how that turns out. Besides if your kids come out with the forse would`nt that be a plus?

10. t16bushpilot

t16bushpilot Jedi Master

Jul 7, 1999
    I think it's hard to be in love with someone without being attached (not impossible, but challenging).
    Perhaps it's a guideline, just as the guideline that Force Potentials are considered too old to
    initiate training past a certain age (attachments have formed).

Anakin talks about compassion being viewed as universal love in AOTC.
    Some Hindus use the greeting 'Namaste' and intend it as "I recognize the universal spirit within you"
    Remember Yoda saying "Life creates it, makes it grow... You must feel the Force around you..."
    Imagine how challenging it would be to feel the Force all around you while obsessing on that
    special person!

In Eastern (Hindu, Buddhist and Taoist) thought, differentiating between detachment and non-attachment
    is important. Non-attachment is not indifference but rather focus on action while leaving the result up
    to the flow of things.

God/ fate/ cause & effect does the cosmic 'book-keeping'.

The seeker does not strive to impose his will or judges what is fair or
    unfair, but goes on the mindset "reality is what is..."

In Dhamapada, the historical Buddha asks and states
    "How can a troubled mind find the way?
    If a man is burdened, he cannot be filled with knowledge.
    The untroubled mind, no longer seeking to differentiate
    what is right and what is wrong, sees and understands"

I doubt it's cannon, but the Kevin J Anderson Jedi Academy trilogy
    has Luke training his apprentices, making mention of the Jedi Code
    "There is no emotion... there is calm
    There is no ignorance... there is knowledge
    There is no passion... there is serenity
    There is no death... there is The Force."

Does this help?

11. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Personally, I'm rather disturbed that Jedi don't worship Love, because the Sith rather worship Hate.

In my view, only Love supports Life, and Hate destroys it.

12. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    "A Jedi can have sex? For what? For pleasure?"

Yes, they have sex for pleasure. That is what most people have it for, if I'm not mistaken. Like it or not, Lucas has stated that the Jedi can have sex and do have sex. There was an interview following Attack of the Clones where he was asked about it. His reply was something to the effect that they aren't monks and they do have sex.

-Seldon

13. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Also, you have to think about it. Love is a quick and easy path to hate. People do a lot of hating and crazy things over love.

14. Qu_Klaani

Qu_Klaani Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    "A Jedi can have sex? For what? For pleasure?
    You cannot have sex without a reason. Maybe you are in-love with that person, or yeah, for pleasure, That's why i cannot agree with you guys that a Jedi can have sex."

Celibacy leads to Sexual frustration, sexual frustration leads to anger, anger lea...you get the idea.

15. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    George Lucas has stated that they can have sexual relationships.
    Attachment is what is forbidden.

LMAO. Sorry Seldon, I know you weren't joking, but I just found that really funny... :p

16. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    It is silly, I agree.
    Regardless, it is something he said.
    So many people are confused about the matter, and he tried to explain it in an interview.

-Seldon

17. Skyvader

Skyvader Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    The writers of the Post-Endor era deal with love and the Jedi in a totally different way. I think that makes the Jedi in that era much more likable as characters than in the Republic years but thats just me.

18. steverodgers801

steverodgers801 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 12, 2005
    part of the problem is that the word loves covers too many things. A jedi can love in the sense of caring as anakin said in aotc, but i think it is too dangerous for a jedi to be attached to an individual beacsue it would affect how he thinks and feels

19. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    Love can be a wonderful thing, but most of us aren't powerful Jedi in control of the force. What if the relationship ends badly? There are plenty of psychos in prison who killed their exes just because they couldn't have them or because they were angry at being dumped. What if the love is unrequited? Jedi have the potential to be VERY good stalkers. But that's just my opinion. I still have to agree with whole attachment danger.

20. Darth-Seldon

May 17, 2003
    If a Jedi is stalking someone because they broke up with him, then he wouldn't be a good Jedi in the first place and would've been forced to leave the order earlier.
    They do have the code.

-Seldon

21. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Watch AOTC and you will see how love or attachment for Anakin drove him to Dark Side choices.

22. ExarKunPJ

ExarKunPJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2005
    Yes when you are attached to something or someone with love you can become angry if something happens to them or you could 'fear' something happening to them and remember the famous line:

"fear leads to anger
    anger leads to hatred
    hatred leads to suffering"- Yoda Ep1

So Love can have so many consequences even jelousy as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.