main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How come they changed the battle droid voices in ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Separatist101, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    This is what I've wondered ever since seeing the film at the cinema, since the battle droids of TPM and AOTC sound badass why did they change the voices for ROTS? In ROTS they sound like they've been on helium!

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they never sounded bad ass.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  3. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    what I was saying was they sounded cooler in the first two films than in ROTS, and I'm wondering why they went through the bother of making completely new voices for them

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've talked about this many times, but someone found out that audiences found the battle droids' slow wit a bit humorous, so someone ran with it and took it way too far.

It's absolutely terrible and it gets far worse in TCW.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  6. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    i always thought it was different type of battle trades.

7. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I prefer their ROTS voices. The Super Battle Droids, that's another story...

8. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I do like how one droid hands Grievous a lightsaber (or something else). Grievous doesn't thank it, but the droid (almost sarcastically) says, "You're welcome."

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that was the only time i liked their voices in rots.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    They had different voices already in TPM. I like it!

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think they did. The tone is certainly different when compared to RotS. Unfortunately, the person who voiced the droids in TPM and AotC isn't credited.

12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I mean they made many of the droids sound different.
    The droids in ROTS sound a bit more human, though. It's like they got more advanced during the war.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Irl reason: To appeal to kids in what's oddly the darkest SW movie and least suitable for children. Probably to reel them in

In universe reason: To compensate for the fact that the droid control ships screwed them all over when they were shut down, they started using individual chips in every droid. Of course they were cheap pieces of crap, which I suppose is why they sound like two year olds who failed English class ("What dat?" "Dat nothing. Get back to work")

EDIT: Also, Lulu_Mars - the droids seem more human in ROTS because poorly maintained droids, or those low quality to begin with, tend to develop personality quirks. For example, C-3PO being made from a bunch of used junk parts and R2-D2 never having a memory wipe

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TCW plays with them having a certain amount of personality and advancement - "But I just got promoted!"

15. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I love the scene from the TCW movie where the battle droid gets tossed over the edge and yells "Whyyyy?" [face_laugh]

I also love the sound of those super battle droids in the beginning of ROTS. I've always felt a touch of ROTJ in that, as with many other details in the movie.

Cryogenic and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Jesse Booth

Jesse Booth Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2014
    I appreciated their absolute stupidity. It was quite enjoyable to watch the Jedi beating up the mentally challenged robots.

17. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014

It's like Obi-Wan said in AOTC, "If droids could think, there would be none of us." Or something to that effect.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Good o'l battle droids I love em all. I will say in TPM and to a lesser extent AOTC they were trying to take them more seriously than in ROTS and both clone wars tv shows. They are pretty much the incompetent stormtroopers of the PT.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    The battle droid voices/dialogue in ROTS is literally my biggest problem with the movie (which is my fav).. I hate them so much. They were so much more tame in the first 2 movies. And they only upped it further in TCW.. I did notice that that humour is popular with kids under 10 tho. The only CIS droid vocals I enjoy in ROTS are when the droidekas roll in to scene chasing R2-D2 and make a non-English droid language sound. Also, the giggling buzz droids sounds really took the some of the edge of how effin cool and scary they were and could have been

That said, SW has always had this kind of kid humour and I begrudgingly learned to accept it back in the 80s. To be honest, Ive found most of the humour of the saga (adult or child oriented) to be mostly cringe-worthy - but it's all part of the SW "tapestry" - and that's fine

20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    They finally went through Droid Puberty.

Palpatine77 and mikeximus like this.
  21. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Based on what I remember from ROTS, they didn't change the regular Battle Droid voices - what they did do is let us hear what the Super Battle Droids sounded like - which were super-high voices that sounded wimpy.

In AOTC, though we saw the Super Battle Droids fighting during the arena battle, they never spoke. We heard them speak for the first time in ROTS....Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I don't think I am....

22. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The Super Battle Droids don't talk until E3, so nothing was "changed" there.

As for the generic battle droids, they always had different voices from unit to unit, so there is nothing inconsistent with the E3 battle droids being different from E2 or E1.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    The best line ever is when the battle droid says "Hands up" to Anakin while he's hanging off a ledge.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I did think that was rather funny.

But yeah, there were significant differences between the TPM, AOTC, and ROTS battle droid voices. In fact, there were at least three different battle droid voices in TPM alone. I can't find any clips with the different voices, unfortunately, but the biggest difference, I think, is that the TPM/AOTC droids' voices are toneless, inhuman, while in ROTS they sound like they have emotion in their voices.

25. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    I had some fun and went through the movies and took the scenes where the battle droids talked. In TPM and AOTC the Battle Droids are certainly more serious both in tone and how they talked. The TPM and AOTC Battle Droids had different voices, but, they were all deeper in tone.

In ROTS there was definitely a big change. The voice became of a higher pitch for all of them, they were more silly in their communication.

I prefer the TPM and AOTC versions.