main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How common is it for users to be barred from posting in specific forums?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I feel it's a perfectly acceptable question to ask in a public forum without bringing up specific users or situations. I've heard it's not unprecedented though, so I'm curious as to how often it's invoked. Also, what can be done to be allowed back in the forums the users was barred from?

It's seriously stupid to not be allowed to talk about Star Wars on a Star wars messageboard.

2. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Its not terribly common, but as you mentioned, its certainly not unprecedented. I know there have been at least a few different cases, and probably more from before I joined MS as well. I believe there has also been at least one case of barring a poster from a specific thread. Generally, its done in order to avoid having to ban the poster from the boards completely, though it may (or may not) be accompanied by a ban of briefer duration. Specifics, naturally, can vary.

As for what could be done... it would vary by the case. Talking to the mods of the specific forum in question may help.

Also, I'd just note that in order to be barred from talking about SW completely, one would have to be barred from posting in quite a few forums - PT, CT, SWC, Lit, EUC, LACWAC, Saga. I can't think of any time or reason someone would be barred from posting in all of those forums without being actually banned from the boards.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    It's common on the FanForce side of things. If a user has been kicked out of a FanForce for reasons that wouldn't equate to a ban, then they are simply banned from posting on that part of the boards. More often than not whatever reason they were kicked out for also equals a ban, but not always. If they're one of those people that only goes to the fanforce's area, then it's no biggy, but when we have people who post in lots of forums, then it becomes hard to punish them from the entire board just because they're not welcome in their fanforce anymore.

4. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I asked to be banned from just the YJCC once but was told it couldn't be done.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    It can't be done technically speaking with the boards. That is, we can't tell the system to prevent a user from posting in one board while letting them post in another. What ASG is asking about is when a user is told that posting a specific forum will automatically result in a ban, something that may happen for a variety of reasons. But there's no coding set up for the board to do that.

So, if you were to request to be banned from just the JCC and not elsewhere, we can't do anything in the system. You can choose not to post there, or we could ban you from the boards entirely if you posted in JCC, but for that to be user-requested would just be pointless.

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Ah I see, read/didn't read the OP wrong [face_peace]

7. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    When I was unbanned I was only allowed to post in TWO threads Juli. So as usual I wins you at the internet :)

8. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Why does it always have to be about you???!!! :mad:

9. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Because I wins you at internets

10. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    No-one gets banned from Comms, though, right? [face_worried]