main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How Could Ep7 Top Empire?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ObiSpamBaloney, Nov 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Film is a visual medium. Good films don't have the characters tell us the story or even tell us about themselves. They show the story through the actions of the characters, which should in turn tell us something about those characters. That's not to say that well-written dialogue isn't important, but it should almost be a background element that is non essential to the understanding of the narrative. I believe Hitchcock said something to this effect and it's been said many times after by many good directors.

A big failing of the PT in this regard is that there are so many scenes in which characters sit around and talk about the plot, or walk down corridors and talk about the plot.

2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Hitchcock said that the dialogue was put in once the script was finished.

SgtTimBob likes this.
  3. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    IMO even when we view Ep 7 its impossible to say in such a short space of time that it tops something like ESB. Sure we can say yes its good or no its bad, but Empire will have had 35 years to embed itself in our minds and wash over us. Its part of culture now.

I remember reading a few reviewers saying that Skyfall was the best Bond movie ever, yes I thought it was good, but on 1 viewing how can you say its better than Goldfinger or From Russia with Love that have had repeated viewings over 50 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.