main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How could Luke's blue lightsaber be in TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Commandr94, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Maybe so. There are elements in the SW Universe we don't know much about.

Either way, the lightsaber is gone if it got flushed from Cloud City. If not, it might be in the junk pile like 3PO was

2. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  3. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I may not know much but I know what a lightsaber looks like.

[​IMG]

What the other thing is who knows, but that's a lightsaber. & co incidentally Luke dropped one a bit earlier. So how about the possibility that it's that one? Sounds like a reasonable theory.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    or the bottom pipe of the weather vane with like a light or power box or flag attached to it.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Bad lobot

6. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014
    You haven't lived until you've studied the aerodynamics of a disembodied hand in a gaseous atmosphere.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe the thumb was extended, and someone gave it a ride

8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    If it's a lightsaber, it's not Anakin's, because it doesn't match that at all.

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Simple continuity error. They weren't expecting high def freeze framing to catch them out back in 1979.

...Or it's the Cloud City janitor's lightsaber :p

10. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    As someone else pointed out. Why didn't they just use the same exact props they already had?

11. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    It's either Anakin's lightsaber or not a lightsaber at all

JBFett007 and Toonimator like this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Why did they use a shoe as an asteroid? Same answer for both questions: they didn't expect anyone to notice.

If I had to guess I'd say Luke's saber prop was in use for other scenes or at a different location. It's likely the brief shot below of the saber falling was done by the 2nd unit since no actors were needed. They probably had Obi-Wan's saber still at Elstree Studios. Obi-Wan's saber is a far better match when you look at the freeze frame in high def:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's just speculation but I think it's a decent theory.

13. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014
    Boyega hands Luke the light saber. The old man's face turns from confusion to sudden wonder and amazement as he finally remembers.

Luke: I- I know this! It was my father's... I thought I lost it...
    Kira: Well, it found you.
    Han: Welcome back, kid. We're even now.

A tear trickles down Luke's face.

14. Ichthyocentaur

Ichthyocentaur Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    Looks like binoculars to me. Or a Space Canteen. Definitely not a hand and/or a lightsaber.

[​IMG]

Toonimator likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe gas giants don't crush things out of existence according to Star Wars physics.

16. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Possible... Naboo had a freaking liquid-water core after all. But gravity still works, so there's no way a falling saber would ever break orbit; if it passed through the core intact, it'd just "fall" up for awhile on the other side, then tumble back down towards the center, over and over until its orbit of the core was very close.

But it didn't fall out of that hatch with Luke, so it's a moot point. :p

darklordoftech and Revanfan1 like this.
  17. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    So it's quite plausible that the lightsabre is the Bespin one as it was Anakin's before so would have been permeated with the dark side midichlorians :p . Just remind me how Obi-Wan got if from Anakin, did he pick it up after the Mustafar duel?

18. johnbajuice

johnbajuice Jedi Padawan

Oct 28, 2013
    It's funny, I've always thought it was Luke's hand and lightsaber falling on Bespin and figured all you saying otherwise were crazy. But looking up the script online, the action doesn't mention a hand or saber, but a moment after where that would be, the script reads, "There is an ominous cracking sound from the base of the weather vane and a piece breaks off, falling into the clouds far below." Now I don't know what to believe!

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    There are plenty of things they changed from script to film. This is one of them. We're meant to think it's the lightsaber & the freeze frame pic confirms it [face_peace]

20. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    When Luke lands in the shaft and the hatch gives way beneath him theres no lightsaber sitting there with him either. Theres no way that was ever intended for that to be a lightsaber falling, its never been mentioned before, yet pieces of the weather vane breaking off have been mentioned.

Now everyone is just trying to retrofit that with these new rumours of possibly Lukes saber appearing in the ST, and it seems like we're struggling to come up with something. This is why to me its really important that if it does appears that they have to get the explanation right.

JBFett007 likes this.
  21. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005

*HORRIBLE PREDICTION TIME*

This exact scene will be replayed and later revealed that an open cockpit speeder went by and it fell in.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  22. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014
    Yeah. As Anakin was burning, and obiwan was walking away, he bent down and picked it up

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    So he not only sliced him up & left him for dead, he stole his property too! ;)

24. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

Thank you.

25. Rookhelm

Sep 22, 2014

What's interesting is that shot wasn't included when they originally filmed the scene. Lucas realized after the fact that he should have obiwan pick up the saber. So, during pickup shoots, months later, they included a brief shot of him picking it up off the ground and edited it in.

AndyLGR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.