main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How could Luke's blue lightsaber be in TFA?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Commandr94, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    "that's a story for another time"

SkooterNB likes this.
  2. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The original opening shot of TFA was the lightsabre tumbling in space.
    Early drafts also had Kylo Ren searching for artifacts, such as the lightsabre and Vader's helment

I think it is an interesting jumping off point to bring the OT into the ST without it feeling forced.
    Maz is also implied (and shown in a deleted scene) to be a force user. She's older than Yoda and probably knows way more than she lets on.

This doesn't answer the why necessarily, but explains how the thread is being picked up.

3. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    It's really funny after seeing the movie than reading the post at the beginning of this thread and everyone is like "Luke's lightsaber beging the movie would be the most stupid thing that could happen!!!!" XD

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    I've also looked at it on blown-up Laserdisc...it's just a random piece of something...nowhere near the shape of a hand or lightsaber.

Bowen and ucdex like this.
  5. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Interesting, I always made the mental connection that it was his hand falling past him.

6. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Haha I agree I never once thought it was anything but debris. Had no clue people thought it was his hand!

ucdex likes this.
  7. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    SMH. You're kidding right? Obi-Wan literally rocks back and forth and gives THE most awkward look when talking about Luke's father. It was very clear who his father was!! Even Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru give weird looks when Ben is mentioned and it's clear they're covering for something. "That's what I'm afraid of" - Luke being too much like his father.

Some people really need to study their SW more before posting on the main SW forum...

8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Regarding the hand and saber, I've wondered about that but never definitely decided. I figured it was more likely a piece of the vane, possibly also to show how fragile it might have been.
    I know it's not official, but that story just doesn't mesh. Vader either wouldn't care about looking for the lightsaber, or wouldn't have the patience to play around with an ugnaught and would have retrieved it a lot faster with no haggling from the ugnaught. He was more intimidating than Chewbacca. I think of Vader going straight from watching Luke fall to heading to the Star Destroyer. "Bring my shuttle." He was mad, didn't want to mess around, and urgently wanted to get back to the ship. By that time, the Falcon had turned around, Vader was probably briefed on that (after the second disappointment of his troops losing the ship and its crew again), and then Vader figured they went back for Luke and then he sensed Luke was aboard the ship.

In retrospect, an idea I had while watching the prequels develop, it is my opinion that Owen didn't know about Anakin becoming Vader. He was "afraid of" Luke going off and then dying like his father. With it turning out that Vader was Anakin, it makes the line really foreboding in a way that it wasn't to viewers before The Empire Strikes Back.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

Maybe Ben and Luke's Aunt and Uncle showed hesitation and odd looks because they know Anakin chose to be a guy who went on a damn-fool idealistic crusade, rather than being a normal person.

I have no need to study my Star Wars either, but thanks for that.

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    At the time, Vader wasn't Luke's father. The look Obi Wan gives, very appropriate as it was retrospectively, was initially simply intended as Obi Wan steeling himself to deliver a painful truth, rather than preparing a lie as it now means. You only need to analyse the various script developments and passes to realise that Vader was never intended as Luke's father, until it eventually became the best storytelling choice possible.

The Secret History Of Star Wars examines this in great detail, and there simply is no way at all that Vader was intended as Luke's father at that point.

Hernalt likes this.
  11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Seriously? I've studied SW quite a bit.......Vader was not Luke's father when ANH was filmed, dude. Heck, in earlier versions, Darth Vader wasn't even a Sith! Here's an old post of mine made when people were throwing around the "Vader = Father" rumor.

Having re-read this, I'm seeing of where "Knights of Ren" came from now. Interesting.

12. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Well you'd think that Palpatine would make an attempt to put any saber crystal mining darn near impossible, blow up the planets containing supplies, or something to this effect. Luke's (anakins)/lightsabre showing up isn't too far fetched, is it? Luke gets sucked into an exhaust port when he drops. It is likely the sabre did as well. And Cloud City at this time was being run by the empire....

13. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    There's a theory (apparently originating here--it's the last entry) that Rey was created in a lab somewhere using DNA from Luke's severed hand, which would be why his hand and saber were recovered. It's a long shot, but very interesting.

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    <can't help but giggle/cringe at the thought of Rey being created by "DNA" found on Luke's hand>

[​IMG]

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    We NEVER see the lightsaber fall OUT of Bespin, never. We see Luke's hand get cut off, and the lightsaber goes with it. It could be as simple as:

-It fell into a deeper part of Cloud City, and was found (either accidentally or intentionally) at some point over the last 30+ years.
    -Maz is implied to have connections, so she just acquired it at some point (perhaps intending to return it to Luke if/when he returned).

16. Darth Dementor

Darth Dementor Jedi Master star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    What Thrawn082 wrote. We see Luke's hand & saber fall down a corridor after its cut off. We never see where it lands.

17. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yeah, but no better story than Rey as Luke's daughter. [face_love]

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Bobatron

That story takes place right after his Star Destroyer loses the Falcon, not during their escape. In other words, right after TESB ends.

19. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    That book is full of nonsense and written by basically a basher. It's all completely silly and an absolute rewrite of history. It's garbage.

20. Jango723

Jango723 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2011
    Say what you will about the book or it's author, the scripts from SW and (even more tellingly, Empire) are widely available. You can draw your own conclusion.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    'Written basically by a basher" isn't a refutation. The evidence provided within is robust and well researched and presented plainly. If you want to dispute it (especially after being so dismissive above to another poster, telling them to research more about Star Wars before posting their opinion) you have to do more than that. If you can refute the chronology of Vader's evolution with more supporting evidence than is put forward, do so. I'd be interested to hear it.

22. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Still a better love story than Twilight.

I've never read it...my information comes from the Annotated Screenplays and the scripts....I guess you're gonna find some way to **** on those, too?

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree about The Secret History of Star Wars - a lot of information in the book is highly questionable, to say the least.

But there's no doubt Vader was not Luke's father by the time they shot ANH. It's possible Lucas had it in mind as one of several possibilites, but there is no written evidence that suggests this - but a lot of written evidence that says Luke's father and Vader were seperate people at this point.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Just like the Thrawn trilogy, the Empire searches for it and finds it hoping to find clues about who may have been training Luke. Darth Vader may have it or another agent of the Empire. Some galactic scum like a scavenger, bounty hunter, mercenary, merchant, etc. finds it in the ruins of the Empire, and eventually comes to Maz Kanata's castle, where she senses it with the Force and gets it. I really believe that story is this simple.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Where do people get the idea that Bespin is a gas planet? The movie, as well as the comics tell you that it isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.