main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How could Obi - Wan take out Anakin?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Comp625, Jun 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp625

Comp625 Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    If Anakin ends up taking out all of the Jedi, including the Jedi Masters on the Jedi Council including Mace Windu and most likely Count Dooku, then how is it possible for Obi - Wan Kenobi to possibly injury or defeat Anakin when he is on the Dark Side? Even though Obi - Wan is one of my favorite characters I don't see how he would be able to do this. I know Anakin had mentioned that Obi - Wan is as strong as Master Windu, but it just doesn't make sense to me at the moment how Obi - Wan could succeed in areas in which the others failed. Maybe someone can clear it up for me? :D

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Anakin is consumed with anger and hate, and clouded by his emotions. Obi-Wan will have a clear head.

3. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Your overconfidnece is your weakness."

:cool: Mace Windy,
    as windy as a hurricane, as unpredictable as a raincloud!

4. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    Not only that, but I'm sure Anakin caught some of the other Jedi by surprise. Some Jedi, like Mace, may have believed that there was still a chance that they could save him. My guess is that Obi-Wan gives up all hope on Anakin sometime during the final duel.

5. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Maybe Padme will be a factor and Obi-Wan does this little mind screw with Anakin.

Personally I'd like to see Anakin and Obi-Wan cut eachother to ribbons, really match eachother shot for shot, slicing eachother up, then finally Obi-Wan disarms him (maybe literally), and the lava thing, etc...

6. Mech-E_Jedi

Mech-E_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Obi-wan is Anakin's mentor and trainer. It would seem logical that Obi-wan also knows his fighting style (since he probably did most of the training of it)

This would help Obi-wan to know Anakin's specific weaknesses and give him a bit of an edge that way.

I also agree with the idea that Anakin will get angry and clouded by overconfidence.

7. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Once he's a Sith Anakin will think that the power of the dark side is the right way to go, and that the Jedi are weak. I feel because of his anger, he'll feel the power of the dark side during this duel. He'll be on the offensive while Kenobi is on the groggy defensive. But Obi-Wan will find a weakness and exploit it.

8. Technocratic

Technocratic Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Another thing to consider... there's always lots of talk about "if he can beat him, then he can beat so-and-so" but I don't think it's always so black and white... one person may be stronger or better than another, but that doesn't mean they will ALWAYS beat them. In cases with extreme differences then probably... but just because Anakin may become extremely powerful, and may klll many Jedi, does not mean he would be invincible and infallible...

9. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think it'll be evenly matched.

But...um...hm...someone has to lose a limb. It happened in ROTJ, and likely it'll happen, a hand I'm guessing, or perhaps another arm. Could it be Obi-Wan? Or it could be Anakin in Episode III and ROTJ.

10. OldieVonMoldie

OldieVonMoldie Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2001
    I think another good question here is if Obi Wan can do such a number on Anakin when he is young and in his prime, why wait 20 years for Luke to "come of age" and deal with Vader instead of going back and finishing him off himself?

11. kirby2112

kirby2112 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2002
    Okay, so everything we read says otherwise. I know Obi-wan has said some falacies in his time, but I think he was honest to Luke in saying that his father wanted to have it when he was ready.... from w certain point of view. I think that during a battle while WITH Obi-wan. Anakin gets fataly (almost) injured, and tells Obi-wan that his lightsaber should be held for his children, as he is told earlier than Padme is pregnant. Obi-wan defeats their enemy that injured Anakin while Palps helps Anakin 'live'. During that time, Palps tells Anakin some lie about Obiwan, which brings Anakin (Vader) to Obi-wan for vengance. So, Anakin DOES leave his saber for his child!!! Does this pan out at all?

12. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    People, this is Star Wars, not Stratego. I have wondered the same thing about this battle, but there really is no difficulty. Obi-Wan is one of the greatest Jedi Knights of all time. The only reason he is not on the council is that he is too young.

When he and anakin fight, he will still have 25 years more training and experience; ans as we know, training is a necessary complement to talent when it ocmes to Jedi skills. The fact that Anakin is ahead of Kenobi "in a lot of ways" do es not mean that he is better in all ways and in every situation. Remember that Anakin thought he could rival Yoda with the lightsaber, but he was dead wrong. He is not as good as he thinks -- at least, not yet.

13. Vermano

Vermano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 1999
    Obi Wan DID manage to defeat Maul even though Maul was clearly the superior fighter. One mistake can end a lightsaber duel. Being more powerful is not the same as being invincible.

14. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    obi-wan knows anakin better than anyone else. he hasa trained him. just like i'm sure sidious could have offed maul or tyrannus easily.

15. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Maybe Anakin was filled up with so much anger he couldn't see or think clearly. I don't know how Anakin couldn't defeat Obi-Wan when he is as strong as Mace Windu. We'll have to wait until the movie comes out.

16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I'm not sure if this is spoiling or not...but, perhaps Anakin will lose another hand...this time at the hands of Kenobi.

Hmmmm....naaaaahhh...it would never happen...lol.

17. StormHawke

StormHawke Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    My thoughts on it...

1. One of the best things about being the teacher and not the student is that you don't have to let all your tricks out the bag. Obi-Wan will still have the advantage of knowledge--which does count for something, even if you are going up against a walking midichlorian.

2. Obi-Wan is a Jedi Master. If his relationship with the force continues to grow through the time between EpII and III, his mind and body will be attuned to its benefits--surely more than his impulsive padawan.

3. Anakin has got to flip his lid over something. What? At this point, we have no clue (and due to the non-spoiler nature of this thread, am apprehensive about conjecturing too much). Anyway, he's going to be miffed about something. Anger clouds judgement, execution and attunement with the force.

18. Adi_Gallia_9

Adi_Gallia_9 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 16, 2001
    I agree that Obi-Wan knows all of Anakin's weaknesses and Anakin is going to be so consumed with rage, Obi-Wan will be able to defeat him. However, just for the record, Obi-Wan is not a Jedi Master; he is never more than a Knight.

19. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Obi-Wan knows his Padawan's fighting style, he knows him better than anyone else.
    The duel with be close but because of Obi-Wan's experience, Anakin will be beaten, hurt and be left for dead.

I believe Obi-Wan is the only one to feel that Anakin can be turned back, he a first wants to talk and not fight but Anakin forces the issue, hich proves his unding. Obi-Wan in the end as he beats Ani and leaves him for dead realises his Padawan is lost to the Darkside.

20. crj153

crj153 Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2002
    I am afraid that something like this might happen: Obi and Ani are fighting, possibly near a lava pit. By some fluke (read: will of the force), such as rock slide, lava burst, etc. Anakin is injured an put into the suit. This would be an easy way to explain how Obi-Wan could defeat the Chosen One who is also empowered by the dark side.
    Vader's bio at SW.com says, "Despite newfound power bestowed by the dark side of the Force, which added to his already formidable abilities, Anakin was grievously wounded in the fight [with Obi-Wan]." The fact that the bio doesn't say Anakin was defeated by Obi-Wan makes me wonder if Lucas will take the easy way out -- a fluke or luck injuring Anakin. Obi-Wan would call such a victory "the will of the force." ("In my experience, there's no such thing as luck." Obi-Wan in ANH.) I would view it as more of a cop-out way to end the most anticipated duel in SW history.
    Of course, Vader's bio could be ambiguous to keep people from knowing too much of Episode III's plot.
    I *hope* that the ago-old lava rumors are true. Also, I hope that Obi-Wan is the clear winner, giving Vader further reason for revenge in ANH.

21. lavjoricso

lavjoricso Force Ghost star 4

May 25, 2001
    Obi-Wan is a Master in the light side of the force.

Vader is a beginner in the dark side of the force.

I say that Kenobi using the light side of the force to it's full potential can take out a dark side beginner.

When Vader is a dark side master,thats a different story all together !!!

22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Obi-Wan fights in style III, a pure defensive posture. Against Anakin's Style five, which emphasizes power, this can be very deadly. If you notice, when Luke fights Vader on Besbin using Style III, Vader tries to take his head off with a big powerful chop. Luke dodges, and gets a cut in. And Luke was just in the beginning stages of his training. Imagine Obi-Wan, a master of the technique, seeing the same opening. Vader would've been severely injured at least.
    That's how. Obi-Wan will exploit Vader's fighting style, and severely mess him up in one attack.

23. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    How could Obi - Wan take out Anakin?

By giving him roses and chocolates. He'll also take him out to a nice restaruant and maybe a movie (preferabally AOTC).

24. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
  25. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I don't think when they fight Anakin will be at his strongest and that could be another reason he loses. Maybe Palpy has fully trained him in the ways of the darkside yet and that comes after his defeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.