main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How could Rebels have been better?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    This is long........

Often when I think of Rebels, I think of lost potential. If done right, Rebels could have been a fantastic addition to the new continuity. Maybe the quality level of ATLA.

I like the idea of a gang of people from various walks of life getting together and playing a role in opposing the empire during the dark times. Especially focusing on a new Jedi character such as Kanan.

But from a certain point of view, Rebels was not able to be its own thing (got while pandering by bringing in to many characters from the OT and TCW to share the spotlight (sort of creates a "small world" feel). Even giving certain characters 100% plot armor (thanks rouge one). That and the maturity it was allowed inhibited its potential. It the writers felt they needed film/tcw characters to often show up, the concept of a ToR series ever happening is pretty slim if that behavior continues.

This show could have been better if.........

Kanan is the "Last" Jedi in Rebels: I want to focus on a surviving padawan which has no apprentice nor contact from Yoda. He is alone. Keeping him basically the sole Jedi in the present day means more character development. If he encounters another survivor, it could be someone not named Ahsoka. Said survivor is later killed off.

Inquisitors: It's pathetic that they created a show in the DARK times, a period we know from Legends was known for having Inquisitors, and don't let a single one survive past one season, while not fleshing them out much. Giving them a few episodes from their point of view would have been awesome (having bad guys without their own episodes is a bad idea). The grand Inquisitor should have been killed by Kanan, but not until near the later end of the show. Shows the development of him while giving in a good reason for Vader to show up to finish the Jedi off.

No Maul/Ahsoka/Rex: They were not needed. Sure I want to see their final stories/fates, but Rebels was a poor choice to do it. Giving them screen time means less time for the new characters of the show. Its dumb how the writers favored bringing in maul over the new Inquisitor characters. He should have been killed near the end of the clone wars by Obiwan instead. Throwing in Santa Rex was also a foolish move. He is basically walking fanservice. Why not introduce a new clone character, perhaps a former ex-commando. Instead of getting a "I'm not bad since I got chip removed dude, trust me", Kanan could be forced to work with an old clone who did play a role in Order 66, killing some of Kanan's "brothers". The character interaction in that example would have added something unique that canon Rebels lacks.

No Jedi Ezra: Need I say more? A new jedi doesn't jive with the dark times setting. Him not being one, makes the scooby gang less powerful.

Flashbacks: This show could have used them. Especially for Kanan (other examples being Grand Inquisitor, etc). Instead of seeing a young jedi in the form of Ezra, throughout the course of the series we see some of what young Caleb experienced pre-fall, others later on in his life. Yes we had a comic series about this, but I still feel flashbacks would have benefited Rebels.

No super incompetent Imperials: Stormtroopers often weren't best of aim in the OT (though it could be justified in some scenes, such as the gang intentionally allowed to escape death star, etc), but Rebels made it far worse. I want to see the empire feared more from the Ghost crew eyes. Imperials shouldn't be pushovers.

Do you think my points have some merit?

How would you have wanted the show to be better then what we got? Or do you feel its fine the way it is?

While this is a worthwhile line of discussion, I don't believe there's any compelling reason for it to take place outside the existing Rebels thread. Take it there, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.