main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How could the millenium falcon travel from anoat to bespin?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Galactic_Emperor, Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I mean how could it without an hyperdrive? even if bespin was "close" (in galactic terms) to anoat, it would still be light-years away, perhabs many. Without hyperspace or even "light-speed" (that was a clear error in the movie) how could they make that journey ???

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    The timeline was probably shortened to fit that in the movie. I'm sure it took a while for the Falcon to reach Bespin.

3. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Maybe in the Star Wars Universe the systems are closer.

It was in a different system, wasn't it? Or was it just another planet in the same one. I can hardly remember anymore.

4. Galactic_Emperor

Jun 19, 2002
    "I'm sure it took a while for the Falcon to reach Bespin."

well without the hyperdrive it would take years or even decades!

"Maybe in the Star Wars Universe the systems are closer."

hardly.no matter what, light years always separate systems apart.

"It was in a different system, wasn't it? Or was it just another planet in the same one. I can hardly remember anymore. "

it was a different system.

5. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    Then I agree with what Salty said. Makes sense. When was the last time you saw a person in a movie go to the bathroom? They just snip it out, along with the time it takes to get to Bespin.

6. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Perhaps the regular speed of the Falcon is a lot faster than what we're familiar with.

7. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Well, the EU has an explanation that the Falcon had a back-up hyderdrive generator, which I feel rather lessens the tension of Han and Leia's situation.

How I'd like to think of it is that the Star Wars galaxy is rather like driving around England, and going from Anoat to Bespin is like driving from Bournemouth to Southampton, or something, meaning that it would only take an hour so. It might not be scientifcally possible, but if you bring science into Star Wars, the whole thing falls down on it's face.

8. Tayschrenn

May 24, 2002
    I like your thinkin' Steve :)

9. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    I also agree with Steve's thinking.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Han managed to patch together a backup hyperdrive in order to limp to Bespin. The backup is much slower and much less reliable than the main unit, so it wouldn't be enough to get them to the Rebels' rendezvous point.

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, there's a lot of speculation that the time period was weeks to even months that was compressed into a few short scenes. So, with the very slow backup, and the extended time period, they could have gotten there. And I've always assumed that the spacecraft in Star Wars are much faster in regular space than the rockets our world has now.

12. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yes, what ousley said. :) Besides, remember that Luke is getting his training at the exact same time frame, so unless they spent weeks on Bespin, which I suppose is possibly, they did take awhile to get to Bespin.

GL is very ambiguous about time in SW, and purposefully so.

13. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Also, in the novel of Empire, it gives a few more details. I haven't read it all yet, but I have scanned through it, and there was even something about Luke battling probe droids on Dagobah.

Also, we don't know how long they were in the asteroid. Remember, they were working on the Falcon for a while, and we don't know how long that was.

Another thing, obviously Luke progressed a lot on Dagobah, so he would have had to have a decent amount of time there. I mean, just because it doesn't show everything, doesn't mean it's not happening.

I think it would be a very boring movie if it was in real-time. ;)

14. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Think time dialation. Everyone here know that one kooky law, when you speed up really fast things go faster cuz time speeds up with you. And where as Luke wasnt much of a Jedi when he first got ta Dagobah, he was when he left, even though it seems like he was there a few days.
    So here it goes While it semmed like a fewdays gettin to Bespin for Han and crew, perhaps it was really months in the outside galaxy, accountin fer Luke gettin better quicker.

15. Zee Zee

Zee Zee Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Think about getting from NY to London...
    you could fly in 4 hours via Concorde or you could row across the pond in <SHOUTS TO SIDE> "how many months?"

But, the reason for time dialation is the real reason for the hyper-drive failing. It allows time for Luke to learn about the Force from Yoda.

16. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Yes, but from what I know, even traveling for a long time at a really fast speed won't really change time very much. I could be wrong though.

17. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    I prefer to think of it that Luke was an exceptionally fast learner. After all, the main reason why Anakin turned to the Dark Side was because he felt his training was too slow, so obviously like his father, Luke is a fast learner, and his period was Yoda was about a week or so. At least, that's how I see it.

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I prefer to think of it that Luke was an exceptionally fast learner.

I agree with this. Considering how well he managed in his first lightsabre deul, he's definitely got a knack for picking things up quickly.

And it's great to see people trying to provide explanations for the famed 'Star Wars Physics' :)

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    So here it goes While it semmed like a fewdays gettin to Bespin for Han and crew, perhaps it was really months in the outside galaxy, accountin fer Luke gettin better quicker.

----

Yes, but from what I know, even traveling for a long time at a really fast speed won't really change time very much. I could be wrong though.

Oh dear. :p But I'll spare you guys a long and boring lecture on the workings of special relativity since I think it really comes down to what Steve said. It doesn't matter if the engines the Falcon was limping on were sublight or simply a backup faster-than-light hyperdrive. Star Wars and science are completely separate spheres of reality, and you can't explain one with the other.

The time Luke spent on Bespin and the time Han and Leia spent en route to Bespin is somewhere between a few days and a few months because it has to be for the plot to work out. Luke needed to learn the rudiments of using the Force, and Han and Leia had to give the Empire plenty of time to figure out where they were going and to beat them there.

20. k-man

k-man Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    I think believe it's referenced in the novel that it to took about 3 months for the Falcon to get to Bespin from the asteroid field.

If it's not in there, there's a SW timeline link from TFN main page that has it at 3 months.

21. Galactic_Emperor

Jun 19, 2002
    hey, we may have a similar scenario in ANH, when the millenium falcon travels from the death star to yavin. It doesnt seem to use light speed (neither the death star). The distances are enourmous and they dont seem affected by it. Same thing with luke´s x-wing in ROTJ. it travels from tatoine to dagobah without hyperspeed, and in a starfighter!

yeah, im starting to believe that the whole thing of hyperspeed is a bogus, made only for the plot. Ships can perfectly travel in the galaxy without it.

22. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    hey, we may have a similar scenario in ANH, when the millenium falcon travels from the death star to yavin. It doesnt seem to use light speed (neither the death star). The distances are enourmous and they dont seem affected by it. Same thing with luke´s x-wing in ROTJ. it travels from tatoine to dagobah without hyperspeed, and in a starfighter!

They use lightspeed in all of those scenarios. Just because you don't see them make the jump, doesn't mean they don't. It's meant for you to assume that they do, because it would get kinda boring showing a ship jump to lightspeed EVERY time it went somewhere.

23. Jabba-the-Fat-Butt

Jabba-the-Fat-Butt Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2002
    wait, if Han used a backup to get to Bespin, why couldn't he use a backup to escape from the Imps?

24. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    If I recall correctly, the time that lapsed between Hoth and Bespin was 3 months.

And, just for information purposes, Galactic Emperor, the Millenium Falcon was travelling from the Hoth System to the Anoat System. :D

You Rebel Scum!
    ~Bôba Fe++

25. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Perhaps... but I think they piggybacked the Avenger to Anoat and that's why they didn't know where they were. Then, (IIRC Bespin and Anoat are in the same solar system... maybe?) they traveled from Anoat to Bespin on their own power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.