main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How could you not love that scene?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by shakermaker, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakermaker

shakermaker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Just saw AOTC again today and I have to say, that the after the fith viewing the tusken-slaughter-confession scene is every bit as good, effective, chilling and well-acted as when I first saw it. It's definitely the best scene in the entire movie as far as acting is concerned. Christensen is absolutely brilliant.

If there could be an Oscar for one single scene he should win, honestly. One of the greatest moments in the SW saga if you ask me.

Also, John Williams' idea to put the Emperor's theme in there is also a great move. Very effective and ominous.

2. Hans_Maulman

Hans_Maulman Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    hell yes. that scene was definately brilliance.

3. Youngling

Youngling Jedi Master star 2

Jun 28, 2002
    That quivering bottom lip...it get's me every time.

4. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Excellent job by Haden, and I'm even starting to warm up to Natalie in that scene as well.

5. zeekveerko

zeekveerko Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    i had goosebumps, and that feeling like you're gonna cry, but not really - that tightness right behind the face.... don't know how else to describe it.

very chilling.

6. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
  7. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Brilliant, chilling, agonizing, this scene has that and so much more. Painful to watch, for me, anyway, and I'm almost in tears.
    Just beautiful.
    Hayden was absolutely incredible.
    I could go on forever about this.
    :)

8. Lagniappe

Lagniappe Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I too think this was a very well done scene, though I could have done without Padme's line, "What's wrong Ani?" I mean, that was just plain stupid. You don't ask someone who just brought home the body of their dead mother who has been tortured by Tuskan raiders, what's wrong... duh!

9. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    It is a great scene. My only gripe is that Padme is so apathetic about her (soon-to-be) boyfriend confessing to mass murder. I'd like a little emotion from Natalie for that revelation...

10. AttackoftheCorn

AttackoftheCorn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2001
    This scene is amazing. It reminds me of how mad Luke gets when Vader threatens Leia. However, Luke learns from his father's mistake of letting his anger eventually getting the best of him.

All these parallels with the OT are awesome.

11. Anna_kin

Anna_kin Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2001
    The thing that really got me in that scene were Hayden's eyes...they were all evil and scary...*shiver*. He does very good "angry" eyes.

12. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Lagniappe,

This line is fine and should be there IMO. Padme obviously senses that something else is wrong with Anakin, after his angry outburst against Obi-Wan, beyond the loss of his mother. It sets up the confession and shows that Padme has grown closer to Anakin in being able to sense that kind of thing.

EDIT: Quixotic-Sith, I don't think she was really apathetic as much as she was shocked and stunned by the revelation, not to mention a bit scared.

13. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Hayden was very good in that scene. I think it was his best one.

14. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Hayden pulled it off extremely well. The entire sequence of Shmi's death/Tusken slaughter, confession, and funeral were done brilliantly. I always get choked up during these scenes.

The thing that makes it stand out is obviously Hayden. His work in the confession scene is probally one of the best in SW.

Brilliant work.

ST

15. Imperial_Guard

Imperial_Guard Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Obviously, Hayden did a great job. I'll also give nods to Natalie Portman and GL for the "less is more approach" with Padme. This is Anakin's scene and I thought that Padme's character was played quite well so as not to "steal" the scene and possibly ruin it. We should see more emotion from Padme in Episode III for obvious reasons and I really hope that GL and Hales pay close attention to her character and give something a bit more for Natalie to work with.

16. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I sort of liked that scene too, but I don't think it's the best scene in SW. There's just too many to compare it too.

17. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    At least you weren't asking that about the fireplace scene.

If you wondered how could anyone not love THAT scene, I would beat you senseless :p

18. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    IG- I really don't buy the shocked/stunned analysis, although I do buy that as a plausible reaction. Shocked/stunned is Franka Potente's ("Marie") reaction to the first attacker in The Bourne Identity (the one who comes in through the window). If Natalie was going for subtlety in her performance, she nailed it - I didn't see her betray any emotions whatsoever.

Hayden was great in that scene; I just think Natalie came off as wooden.

19. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Just saw it again yesterday, and I found that I really LIKED the reaction from Padme. It wasn't so much shock as the reaction you have when someone you know turns into a raving lunatic about something and all you want to do is slowly back away and then turn and walk off and pretend it never happened. "OK...that's nice...ummmm...I have to go now...please don't call me again." I think Padme was thinking "What the &^#@???????"

It also gives some insight as to why she stays with him...I think she is in denial about just how screwed up he is. She ignores his flaws (there are many) and just focuses on what she likes about him. Pretty common in bad relationships.

20. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Import_Jedi,

Well, that's my least favorite scene of the movie aswell. The acting is great, but the lines ruin it. No actor in the world can pull those kind of lines off. It's like Harrison Ford said to Lucas:
    "You can write this ****, George, but you can't say it." :)

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Man...Star Wars geeks complaining about the romance dialogue. Some of you need to realize that people do talk like that. At least people I know do, thus it doesn't bother me, thus I'm lucky because I can enjoy the movie. ;)

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    To me, the saving grace of that scene is the ambiguity of Padme's response. It's impossible to tell exactly what is going through her head as she reacts and comforts Anakin. Does she understand what he has told her? Does she throw herself into full-throttle denial? Does she think to herself: "I love him so much...he can't possibly mean what he is saying." "He's distraught, hyper-emotional...I'll get to the bottom of this later."

It's hard to know exactly what is going on, and that helps the scene immensely in my view.

23. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Vaderbait,

Please, no one talks like that. If you know anyone who does, then I have to say that I am in chock. And I DO enjoy the movie a great deal. I just think that some of you need to realise that Lucas DOES have a problem with dialogue in certain scenes. It doesn't ruin any of the movies by a long strech - they are still absolutely great - but completely denying the problem doesn't help either.

EDIT
    To ellaborate on this I would like to show you something that I wrote reagarding the dialouge in another post a while back:

I will be the first to admit that when it comes to dialogue Lucas DOES have a problem, but I do not find to be a problem that overshadows the entire movie as a whole. Yes, the dialogue is cheesy at times. Most noticeably in a few of the romantic scenes between Anakin and Padmé. Lines like ?I am haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me? just aren?t good enough and Lucas will have to do better on the next one. But I don?t see why the dialogue is ?continuously forced? as you say. Consider the situation in which the characters find themselves and the way of their mental state and I think you will agree with me, that it does come across in the style of dialogue. Another thing is, that the characters involved in AOTC come from a society where the tone is somewhat formal and at times can seem artificial. Furthermore, one could say in the defence of the dialogue in all of the Star wars movies that it has always been a bit corny ? in lack of a better word.

24. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    I think that scene was excellent, but I wish they would have kept one thing the way it is in the novel and script. In novel, when Padme asks, "What's wrong Annie?" He whines back, "I just told you!" and then Padme says, "No, what's really wrong?"

That would make it sound better than her just simply saying "what's wrong Annie?"

25. Admiral_JasterMereel

Admiral_JasterMereel Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Poor Massifs, poor women, poor children, poor bloodthirsty, killing-machine men...

I felt sorry for the Massifs.

You Rebel Scum!
    ~Bôba Fe++

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.