main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How could you not love that scene?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by shakermaker, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. libwil

libwil Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2002
    QuitoxicSith: I agree, I read the novel and it was not Anakin's scene, it was both of their scenes. In the novel, Padme says a lot more than whats wrong anakin. She cuddles and holds him like a mother holding her baby, a very tender moment.Anakin says why do i hate them,padme then says do you hate them or do you hate what they did to your mother. She also contiously strokes ani's fragile ego and broken spirit with youre human anakin. Even though Anakin fights this notion he eventually gives in and crumbles into Padme's arm crying helplessly like a baby. So i do feel that the scene couldve had more dialogue. It was a decent scene and one of the more better scenes but it was not the best.

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Hayden was brilliant :)

Love the confession scene. I felt all funny watching that scene. Very powerful *Hums Imperial March*

3. haydenswife

haydenswife Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    If y'all were impressed by his performance in that scene then I suggest renting Life as a House. I saw it and I was blown away at his acting. We have a star on our hands here.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I don't think they could have chosen a better actor to play Anakin than Hayden. He shows anger so well :)

5. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    Indeed, Hayden does play anger well, but there are more emotions that have to be acted and somehow Hayden misses some emotions. The fireplace scene is not so very well acted, for example.

Back to topic: The supreme touch to this scene is (of course) the musical "Dark Lord of the Sith" theme. Does this theme have a name, by the way? Imagine there isn't music in this scene. I think it wouldn't be half as good.

6. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I never said Lucas never writes bad dialogue. In fact, 90% of the SW saga is bad dialogue, but the stuff spoken in the fireplace scene is a step up from traditional SW dialogue, and people have to realize that more.

7. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Star Wars geeks complaining about the romance dialogue.

I talk like that. Maybe not the exact words, but I'm sure I've said more embarrassing things than that dialogue to get a girl's attention.

I am teh anticool.

:D

EDIT: And I still think that scene is bad dialogue, not bad writing. It's two people trying to break out of the shells they've been forced to live in and frankly, they're not doing a great job.

8. Shmi02

Shmi02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Easily my favorite scene of any SW movie! And one of my favorites from any movie for that matter. Hayden was incredible!! I wish they had awards for Best Scenes at the Oscars.

I read the novel but I'm glad they focused more on Anakin in the movie-- it's really his moment. Yes, Padme maybe should have looked more shocked or whatever-- but what I take away from it is this a clear sign Anakin is moving toward the darkside, not that Padme cares any less or more about him.

9. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001

"How could you not love that scene?"

I agree.

And when he slouches to the floor and weeps about everything that's gone so horribly *wrong* in just a few short days???

I honestly never thought I'd see that kind of intense emotion in a 'Star Wars' movie....

I know to some people it sounds "hokey" and "cliched" to say this, but every time I watch that scene, I feel for Anakin!! Hayden was simply brilliant!!!

And Padme? I thought she was really good in that scene too; her facial expressions alone would make the scene great, going from initial shock and revulsion, to complete understanding and sympathy.

Lucas has said that, in essence, the 'Star Wars' films are like "silent films". And Natalie's face and emotions for that scene are proof that all the dialogue in the world can't replace a good actor who can *show* what the character is thinking.

And she barely says a word....

10. shakermaker

shakermaker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Qui_Gon_Jim23,

Yes, I suppose you are the anticool :)

11. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    haydenswife,

I'm considering buying Life as a House on DVD. Is it worth the 18$ or should I just rent it?

12. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Rent it. It's not that great a flick.

13. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    That wasn't the answer I was hoping for :)

It isn't avalible as a rental here in Denmark, sadly. So if I want to see it I have to have it imported and that's gonna cost me :(

14. Youngling

Youngling Jedi Master star 2

Jun 28, 2002
    Buy it. You will wear it out slow-motioning through a certain scene in it.

15. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Why and what scene?

16. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    During the confession scene, every time they show the look on Hayden's face and he shouts "I HATE THEM!" I always get goosebumps there.

17. Youngling

Jun 28, 2002
    Shakermaker:
    Hayden shower make-out scene. 'Nuff said.

18. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Well, that would depend on who it is he makes out with, wouldn't it? :)

19. Youngling

Jun 28, 2002
    I don't know...my eyes never left Hayden.

20. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    I liked the confession scene as well.

I will stand up for the fireplace scene because there is more going on then you guys realize. I love the line "I am haunted...", too me it's very poetic and foreshadows to the torment that is inside Vader heart and soul throughout the OT.

You choose not to like the fireplace scene, congradulations on being " :cool: " than those of us who liked that scene.

21. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I have yet to hear anyone argue the confession scene isn't great. It always makes me laugh when I think of the kids who just came to the film to see Jar Jar sitting through that scene :)

22. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Everything about that scen was perfect. :D

23. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    The kiddies notwithstanding, YOU PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!

24. Apprentice_15

Apprentice_15 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    I thought that scene was very moving. It shows the arrogant bravado Anakin
    constantly shows slip away. Hayden Christensen pulled that scene off perfectly
    with the right tone of voice and his facial features. I think, for me personally, it
    makes you have great sympathy for Anakin and, like someone has already
    mentioned, John Williams inclusion of the Imperial March theme playing in the
    background is excellent foreshadowing of Anakin's emotions getting the best of
    him.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. :)

25. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Like I said before, the actors do a great job, especially Christensen (which he does through the entire movie) but the lines themselves are just not that good.

Another thing I'd like to defend is the infamous "sand" line. I really don't understand why exactly that particular line got so much stick, when the ones said by Padmé leading up to it are much worse. All that "we used to lay on the beach and guess the names of the birds"-or however it goes - makes me cringe everytime. Why exactly the "sand" line was that bad I don't understand. I mean, Anakin comes from Tatooine, thus doesn't like sand and it's the sort of "off-the-mark" pick-up-line that you would expect a young unexperienced Jedi to give a try. Right? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.