main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How could you not love that scene?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by shakermaker, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shakermaker

shakermaker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Like I said before, the actors do a great job, especially Christensen (which he does through the entire movie) but the lines themselves are just not that good.

Another thing I'd like to defend is the infamous "sand" line. I really don't understand why exactly that particular line got so much stick, when the ones said by Padmé leading up to it are much worse. All that "we used to lay on the beach and guess the names of the birds"-or however it goes - makes me cringe everytime. Why exactly the "sand" line was that bad I don't understand. I mean, Anakin comes from Tatooine, thus doesn't like sand and it's the sort of "off-the-mark" pick-up-line that you would expect a young unexperienced Jedi to give a try. Right? :)

EIDT:
    Sorry about that double-post. Don't know what happend there.

2. Apprentice_15

Apprentice_15 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 24, 2002
    Shakermaker- I, too, liked that "sand" dialouge spoken by Anakin. I don't know, I
    guess its cute or something.

I don't really Padme had many bad lines in the film. Some of the lines that Natalie
    Portman delivered could have used more feeling or emotion, though. You know its
    rare to find anyone who really likes that "sand" line. :)

3. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes, indeed, hail the "sand" line! :)

No, I didn't exactly think it was great or anything, I just don't think it's as bad as many people make it out to be. As you say, it is a "cute" little line - in lack of a more descriptive word - and that's really all it should be seen as. Many thought is was too...well, too what? Tell me? What is it about it that seems out of place exactly?

4. Apprentice_15

Jul 24, 2002
    Shakermaker- I know quite a few people, like my Cousin, hated the line because
    he thought it was poorly delivered by Hayden.

I don't know, when the DVD for Attack of the Clones comes out I'll be more than
    happy to listen to that "sand" line again. ;)

5. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    "The kiddies notwithstanding, YOU PEOPLE HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!"

A well-conceived argument, Dahveed :)

And I thought Hayden did deliver the sand line perfectly. It's all in the nervous gulp he takes while saying "here everything is smooth . . . and soft"

6. dahveed72

dahveed72 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2002
    it did provide comic relief for the boston audience. although there wasnt any tension that warranted said relief.

7. Apprentice_15

Jul 24, 2002
    Yeah but none the less it was a pretty cool line. I don't know why I like it so
    much but whatever! :p

8. haydenswife

haydenswife Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    shakermaker:
    It's definately (sp?) worth the 18 bucks. I watched it with a friend and we were both bawling from the sadness, but Hayden is just amazing in this role...amazing isn't a strong enough word, but then again I guess there isn't really the right word in the dictionary to describe it.

Oh, FYI It's rated R...incase your wondering AND I just found out that AOTC is coming out in November, on the 12th I think.

9. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    The purchase has been set in motion.
    Hope I don't regret :)

10. haydenswife

haydenswife Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    Believe me, you won't regret it.

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I love LAAH- good lord is Hayden amazing in that. It's even better to watch by blasting past all of the sappy Kevin Kline parts. :p

It's interesting because Hayden again plays a conflicted teen who whines etc and ends up growing up in the film. His character has all these anger management issues- like a certain someone we know ;) and yet, never once do I find myself thinking- "There's Hayden being Anakin." He completely made the 2 characters totally separate. That more than anything shows his range as an actor. I can't wait to see what else he will be doing in the future.

12. Shmi02

Shmi02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    I love the sand line too-- maybe it's b/c I'm from Florida and I can TOTALLY relate to the sand getting everywhere!! We don't have soil here people-- it's just all sand-- and it is completely irritating. Plus, for some reason I like the way Hayden delivers the line-- his voice sounds really nice there.

Shakermaker--You definitely won't regret buying Life as a House!

13. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    I don't really know how the general public responded to much of the dialogue, but I do know that my brother - who isn't much of a SW fan and generally likes al those artsy-type movies which mostly come from obscure eastern European countries - really liked Hayden's acting and was almost as impressed as I was. He didn't even mind much of the dialogue, but was however critical of the fireplace-scene. So, I think maybe many thought that Hayden did a great job. I don't know. Has anyone you know really bashed his performance?

Allthough I will argue, that when it comes to the confession scene, any notion of bad acting must rely purely on a misguided idea of what constitutes good acting. Forget words such as subjectivity and individuallity. If you don't like that scene, something's wrong :)

14. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Exactly. Hayden's acting was briiliant. He showed so much emotion in that scene. Anakin just saw his whole life crumble before his eyes and it was just too overwhelming. He was confused, REALLY angry and nothing anyone could ever say could have held him back. Blaming Obi-Wan even though he loves him like a father and that determination at becoming the greatest Jedi ever. I don't care about the dialogue in the rest of the movie, but the dialogue in that scene was absolutely fine. Hayden's expressions were excellent too. Especially when he says, "I hate them!"

And the Imperial March music at the end of it. You can visualise his conversion to Darth Vader already...

15. Apprentice_15

Jul 24, 2002
    shaker_maker,

My cousin, who is a male, HATED Hayden Cristensen. He said it was because of
    the awful dialouge and because Hayden does'nt belong in a Star Wars film
    because he is too much of a "pretty boy." That's pretty much what a lot of
    people think of him, judging from some online reviews.

But, if you really want to see Hayden shine as an actor, watching Life as a
    House and Higher Ground will satisfy you enough. Though I did think Life as a
    House solved everyone's problem too quickly. I wish Sam's character was
    explored a little bit more than what we all saw in the movie.

16. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I thought HC's acting was great. GL and co. picked the perfect actor to play Anakin Skywalker, imho.

Most moviegoers don't know a thing about good dialogue or bad dialogue, so I find it unlikely that masses of people are walking out of the theater after seeing AOTC and not liking it because of "bad dialogue". Every time I've seen AOTC the reaction from the audience has been extremely positive-- all 10 times. I wouldn't critisize AOTC for not using real spaceships, and I'm certainly not going to critisize it for using "otherworldly" dialogue. The SW universe is big, complex, and well thought out-- too much so for some professional and internet critics, I think.

17. Vaders_leash

Vaders_leash Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I liked the way Anakin said that Obi-Wan was jealous of him, and then finishing off with "I hate them!" You can see how Anakin is trembling and on the edge of crying he is so angry.

It was one of my most favorite scene, along with the two sandcrawlers, and (#1)Padme's declaration of love to Anakin.

18. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Apprentice_15,

What is Higher Ground? I haven't heard of it before. I thought Life as a House was his first featurefilm...?

Anyway, I know a lot of critics didn't like the dialogue, but let's face it, most of the critics wouldn't know a great movie if it slapped them in the face. Although, I have to admit, that they do make the right calls occationally. I just think many people have difficulties comming to terms with the SW universe in general. Many people feel that way about fantasy films and such. When I went to see Fellowship of the Ring with my father the only thing he did afterward was shake is head in disbelief and moan: "Elves and...and wissards, and funny looking men with big feet...what's the point?"

Some people just don't have the imagination it takes to get involved in these movies, methinks :)

19. annie_skywalker001

annie_skywalker001 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2002
    Shaker maker, Higher Ground is a TV show...

20. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Really? Well, that explains why I've never heard of it then. Hope they air it here in Denmark at some point. Not likely though.

21. Apprentice_15

Jul 24, 2002
    shaker_maker,

Higher Ground was a short lived Fox Family T.V. show that was cancelled a while
    back. :(

22. shakermaker

Jun 27, 2002
    Finally saw Life as a House! I thought the movie was pretty average, but that Hayden was really great. Can't wait to see him turn into Vader!!

23. blackjack86

blackjack86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    You know I was just thinking that, the confession scene really is well-done. Especially when Anakin says, "Every single one of them." I don't know if I like the whole puffy-cheek routine at the end; still, one of the best scenes in the movie.

24. Queen_Sara

Queen_Sara Jedi Master star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    When I saw the confession scene I nearly cried! It scared me, the way he was talking. The only reason I don't like it is because it seals the fact that Ani's going to the dark side.

And the sand line! I thought it was funny. My brother and I were watching it and I said "He's babbling" and my brother said "Of course he's babbling! He can see half of Natalie Portman's knockers! I would be too!"
    Leave it to my brother to put it so bluntly.

:) ~*^SARA^*~ :)

25. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree best scene in all of the star wars saga so far. Gives me chills everytime. Hayden did amazing. I think Natalie Portman did too. I thought she showed the perfect amount of emotion in that confession in that scene. I could tell she was shocked. Even my girlfriend who isn't a star wars fan commented after that scene that the look on padme's face was perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.