main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How dark will the tone of the ST be?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Black as midnight, black as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch!

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    From Twin Peaks to Legend. Well played, sir.

3. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you, thankyouverymuch :cool:

4. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Hey, look, spam!

5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Han dies and enters hell, where he sees the guy who warned him that his Tauntaun would freeze before he reached the first marker.

6. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Just as a side note, my "spam" comment was in response to a post that's now been deleted, thank the Mods.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    As red as blood, & with hair as black as ebony.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think these movies will all be ESB/ROTS territory.

Normally, the middle act is the darkest, and is the cliffhanger of the play/series; this was true in the OT (ESB) but not in the PT (AOTC < ROTS in that way by far). If they follow the OT more, it will be Episode 8 where things get the darkest. I think, however, that these will have a more serious tone in general. I think, for a lot of reasons, that they will avoid TPM/ROTJ type movies; I don't anticipate "Invasion of the Gungans " or "Return of the Ewoks." This is one of the reasons I am happy JJ is making the movie; he isn't going to make those kind of tonal mistakes.

9. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002

"Pretty black..."

10. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    It'll make Vader's helmet look like a candle

11. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I want it to be soo dark that we all need to go to therapy afterwards to discuss the horrors we have just seen. :p

12. DEATHCONQUEROR

DEATHCONQUEROR Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2011
    Hopefully as dark as they can get without making it into an actual certified horror film (though I'm impatient to see a Death Troopers/Red Harvest movie made)......none of the worthless EU stuff where good walks all over everybody Michael Bay style and we have rainbows and butterflies at the end

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I like rainbows and butterflies.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    May I suggest the NJO then?

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I must confess, I don't get all this obsession with "darkness" of a film's tone...

I've never felt that a movie needed to be "dark" (or even be required to have any level of darkness) to be good. Especially not Star Wars. Coming from me, this opinion actually surprises even myself-seeing as how I love films that could be considered dark (The Dark Knight Trilogy, for example-which is in my top 5 movies list).

My point is, SW was never really dark-at least the way one would generally define it-IMO, even ROTS is only somewhat grim in tone-I wouldn't go as far as to call it "dark." Not in the way a movie like, say, Alien, or Chronicles of Riddick is. THAT is dark. Now that I think about it, I suppose SW has its own definition of darkness, when comparing it to other episodes...call it "Star Wars Dark." :p

For those hoping for a heavy, serious tone, with many dramatic (and possibly tragic) deaths, plotlines woven with despair, revenge, and retribution, and an impending sense of doom about it all, I think they will be quite let down. I do not expect Episode VII to be any darker than...say...The Avengers, or the recent Star Trek movies. There will be drama, of course-but there also will be humor. There will be love. There will be classic feel-good adventure, and there will be lots of action and beautifully rendered scenery shots/sequences (this is Star Wars, after all). That whole thing about the video we all discussed recently about the new SW movies needing to take place on a desert the whole time-that will not happen. And most of all: There WILL be things made to attract young kids. Might as well come to terms with it. Maybe nothing to the extent of Jar-Jar or Ewoks ( [face_praying] ), but SW is many things to MANY people! I'm sure the Disney/Lucasfilm movie machine will want to capitalize on that point as much as possible...

I really don't care how dark it is. Besides-without knowing a THING about the plot or storyline-even characters-I don't see how one could even expect a certain level of darkness. Either way, I am sure I will enjoy it-if for no other reason than that it is Star Wars, after all! :p

16. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    I would like every character in Episode 7 to either die a slow and agonizing death or suffer permanent and irreparable physical and/or emotional scars, please. While I munch on popcorn and twizzlers. Thanks!

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  18. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I couldn't agree with you more. I guess it's our new "emo" society were only "gloom and doom" is good or cool. If they go off of Lucas' "treatments", I don't see it being "dark" or at least no more dark than any existing Star Wars movie. Now if Arndt or J.J. toy with it, it maybe "dark". Also just looking from the "Disney" point of view, they want to sell toys, tickets to Disneyland, etc. Making it so "dark" will alienate small kids.

Now lets think back to existing Star Wars films:
    ANH: Ok, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru's flaming corpse's were dark. Obi-Wan dying wasn't even dark, it was almost heroic death. The rest of the movie had a lot of comedy from almost every main character and a lot of feel good action.
    ESB: Even with the Rebels on the run, there was a lot of comedy and hope in this film. Obviously finding out Vader was Luke's father and Han being captured was dark. The film ended on a dark note, but it wasn't ridiculous sad or "dark"
    ROTJ. Besides Yoda dying, and possibly Vader dying this film wasn't dark at all! Even those two deaths were more sad then dark.
    TPM: A little dark with Qui-Gon dying, but not really.
    AOTC: Anakin killing the Sand People, really Dark. Also some mystery around the Clones and Dooku was dark.
    ROTS: Possibly the most dark of all 6 (only PG-13 film). Not light hearted at all. Tons of sadness. Tons of despair.

So what about the ST? Well depends where you want to go with it. ROTS HAD TO BE DARK to lead up to ANH. We KNEW the Jedi were wiped out. We knew Anakin had to lose everything. I personally don't see a ST story with "that much to lose". Again back to the ST, you can go with the OT style: EP7 can be light hearted and fun and lead somewhere. EP8 can be like ESB and end on a "dark" note. EP9 should end happy and wrap everything up.

Even if by EP9 you want ALL the classic heroes to die (I disagree) you can still end on a happy note.

Don't get caught up in this "emo sadness" trend in films. "Dark" is a cheap trick to suck in emo folks for a cheap thrill. A good solid Star Wars film done in the classic style can have lots of fun, comedy action, sadness and a little bit of dark and be cool.

There is nothing wrong by ending on a positive note or having characters you like survive. Han, Chewie and the Falcon don't have to die in some sad blaze of glory, they can epically kick @$$ and come out of it alive. Now that would be an awesome film. Don't be so self deprecating sad person, let yourself enjoy a HAPPY film for once.....

Andy Wylde and Mystery Roach like this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    phatdude1138 I think you're leaving out some dark moments in the films, but they're balanced out by a lot of levity and fun and overall I quite agree.

20. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    How about a teenage princess being penetrated by a floating truth-serum-needled black ball...all by her own father?

21. Master_Sword

Master_Sword Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2003
    To me, a dark movie is one with little to no hope, and sustained disturbing imagery. A New Hope is absolutely not a dark film despite the imagery within it. Revenge of the Sith, on the other hand, I would class as being dark, given that the latter two-thirds of the movie are about evil's triumph.

Movies with graphic events and images are not necessarily dark. Is Disney's Beauty and the Beast really a dark movie? We see:
    Gaston plummet to his death after stabbing the Beast in the side
    An 'enchantress' curse a scared boy with an out-of-proportion-to-the-crime punishment
    Villagers threatening to put Belle's father in a sanatorium
    A pack of wolves try to kill Belle in the woods

Yet it is not dark; the movie is filled with hope!

That said, EVII will not be a dark movie.

22. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Troy Denning as screenwriter, then? :p

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_sick] no just no.

24. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    Not that into EU...did he write something dark?

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He goes way too overboard on the injuries. The number of the and the extremeness. Stay away.
    Han got the stuffing beat out of him 3 times in one book, 3 times in 1 book! Shuttle crash, brawl at a sabacc game, and got tortured during a 2nd sabacc game, Corran lost some fingers, Bazel Warv has his innards coming out way before he was killed, Alema got mutilated so much, Luke was character assassinated, Ben almost was sexually assualted, Kam was sniper shot 3+ times, Tionne had her arm cut off and then some, ran the Jedi in Star By Star ragged, Saba had brains coming out too at one point. Yeah stay away.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.