main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did Ahsoka still become a Padawan at age 14?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi-Dan-D, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Dan-D

Jedi-Dan-D Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2012
    I remember reading about Obi-Wan, it says if youngling's aren't selected to be Padawans by age 13, they don't get trained to be Jedi, they get transferred to other services of the Jedi Core.

And when Qui-Gon passed by, I guess what happen was Obi-Wan wanted to prove he could be a Padawan but got dueled his rival with so much anger that Qui-Gon thought he was too reckless. When Obi-Wan turned 13, he was transferred. Later on the same planet I guess, Qui-Gon was in trouble, and Obi-Wan who happened to be there saved him, and Qui-Gon decided to take Obi-Wan as his Padawan afterall.

So if Ahsoka was 14 at the start of the Clone Wars, why wasn't she transferred to other services a year ago, instead she's still at the temple another year and becomes a Padawan a year after her Youngling time expired.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'll sum it up for you quickly.

TCW doesn't care about what has happened in the EU.

Welcome to LACWAC! Enjoy your stay.

cwustudent likes this.
  3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Because that might not gell with what George Lucas has in mind for Jedi younglings. What happens in the EU doesn't necessarily happen in GL's universe ;)

In-universe explanation can be is that Ahsoka is far too powerful to lose as a Jedi. It also depends on what age a Youngling would leave, how far into their 13th year are they sent? She could have been about to be sent when the Clone Wars started and she turned 14 shortly after.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  4. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The only problem with that is Anakin's line: "You know, I don't even think you're old enough to be a Padawan."

Her original age was 12 per GL but was later changed to 14 when the movie came out.

5. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Could they have changed the rules slightly since Obi-Wan's Padawan days, giving Younglings an extra year to be apprenticed?

CaptainRegor likes this.
  6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I for one am glad that stupid, totally arbitrary rule is gone. In fact, I wouldn't mind if the final season of clone wars was nothing but undoing every last bit of those Jedi Apprentice/Jedi Quest books. They're awful and ought to be burned :p

7. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    They did need all the Jedi they could train after the Clone Wars broke out, that's a possibility. As is knighting earlier.

CaptainRegor likes this.
  8. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    How do you know Ahsoka was not a padawan to some other Jedi before Anakin Skywalker?
    Also, please realize that one of Ahsoka's many Force powers is the ability to create multiple threads about herself.

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe they changed the age when The Clone Wars broke out

CaptainRegor likes this.
  10. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    He just joined and probably didn't know about the Ahsoka discussion thread. ;)
    Welcome to LACWAC Jedi-Dan-D!

11. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Well she doesn't look her true age so I think we can forgive Anakin for that :p

Seerow likes this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The best in-universe explanation is that the rules have changed since when Obi-Wan was that young. There was reference in the Genndy micro series to there being a shortage of Jedi and also recently in the opening narration for The Gathering.

The real out-of-universe explanation is probably more along the lines of what CT-867-5309 said. TCW is not following the EU, and I'll add that I wouldn't expect the sequel trilogy to either. GL doesn't seem to regard new EU any more highly than the Marvel comics from before Ep. V.

Seerow, FARK2005 and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  13. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I haven't watched the movie in a while, but at least in "The New Padawan," I was thinking she looked younger than in Seasons 1-2. (Like shorter or something) Maybe I'm just remembering that wrong though. :p It would make sense though since she was originally much younger than her now official age.

14. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    I would agree with you there. She does seem shorter in the movie, only slightly. I've been doing a 'Clone Wars marathon' and just started Season 3 today and I'm getting to the point where they age her up, where she gets taller too. It's very strange that in S5 she's basically as tall as Obi-Wan compared to how short she is in earlier seasons. If they do anymore aging of her she could even get to Anakin's height by the end of the show!

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    or taller than Anakin :p

16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Not likely. :p I didn't think she was much taller than she is now when they showed her future self in the Mortis arc.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    She was envisioned at 12, but then with all the backlash against a pre-teen wearing a tube top and micro mini while surrounded by male troops...she magically aged to 14. ;)

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    QFT. Normally I'm not big on the show retconning the EU but I'm happy to see as much of Jude Watson's tripe rendered non-canon as possible. Sorry, Obi-Wan/Siri fans.

It makes far more sense to promote a Jedi based on ability and readiness as opposed to chronological age anyway. That was my understanding from the films and the non-Watson EU as to how they granted Knighthood and Mastery.

I also think a few Jedi got promoted early due to the war. Karen Miller indicated that Anakin was Knighted early, and over Obi-Wan's protests, because of the war. And similar early promotions happened in the US military during World War II.

Seerow and DarthBoba like this.
  19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It doesn't seem that far-fetched that Jedi would limit Padawans by age, judging by the comments about Anakin and Luke both being too old for it.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was acceptance into the Order, not elevation from youngling to padawan.

21. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Yeah, but it doesn't exactly make the Jedi Order look very open-minded to individuals being ready in their own time.

22. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.