main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Anakin's mom die at exactly the moment he arrived?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ObiSpamBaloney, Apr 4, 2018.

1. ObiSpamBaloney

ObiSpamBaloney Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 12, 2014
    In Episode II: Attack Of The Clones, I always found Shmi Skywalkers sudden death moments after Anakin found her captured to be weird. I mean she had been surviving torture and the like for weeks on end. When Anakin arrives she seems ok to talk for a bit - no laboured breathing, just weak and tired. Then she can't even get out the sentence "I love you" just "I love.... I love... *croak*". Did that scene come across as a just a bit strange for anyone else? I had always wondered if Palpatine had orchestrated her capture and death to push Anakin further to the dark side. Was he force choking her across the galaxy? etc. Just so sudden. Is there any evidence for this in the films, or was this just badly acted and rushed for this particular scene? It should also be noted that George had deliberate echos between movies in both triologies. Han and Leia were being tortured in Empire, such that Luke rushed to their aide. This strongly suggests that Shmi was likewise being tortured for that express purpose. Did Palpatine ever journey to Tatooine? Was Plageius still alive in some spirit form still pulling the strings? Was it ever confirmed that Anakin was NOT conceived artificially by his sith science experiments? Snoke? Is there any story potential here for future Star Wars stories to be told?

Finally she also said very calmly "now I am complete". I always wondered if there was more to that phrase that would have been revealed. Maybe she had a hidden past and destiny she kept closely guarded. I was even expecting her to turn into a Sith witch and start cackling at Anakin :) It was just so odd.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/89359/what-do-the-sand-people-do-with-anakins-mother

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    No, it was actually pretty emotional scene and well acted.

Shmi was tortured for a good while and she was only holding on because she wanted to see her son again. Once she got the chance to see him one last time, she was finally able to let go.

crapiola, DBPirate, Kynirin and 10 others like this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Shmi specifically responded to young Anakin's promise to return with a forceful, repeated instruction of "don't look back." Would she really have had any expectation that he would return?

She's also visibly surprised looking upon her grown son, with no signal that she expected him, or was holding out for him. My assumption has always been that she was holding out hope for rescue from Cliegg and his group, endured awful and unrecoverable injury from sustained, brutal torture, and chose to make her son her last memory when presented the chance. Just as Padme did after looking upon her children.

4. Anslyder

Anslyder Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 8, 2018
    Anakin made a promise to her that he will come back to her someday. So yeah, I would imagine that she did have expectation or at least wished to see her only son one last time.

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think Shmi's death was to push Anakin closer to the Dark side. But I don't believe it was due to any sort of plot.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I just chalked it up as the whole "stay alive long enough to say goodbye" thing. That kind of thing happens a lot-an elderly person dying mere months or even weeks after their longtime spouse dies. My grandmother in law was having health issues a few years ago, while at the same time my uncle in law (her son) had terminal cancer. He died in March that year, and then she died in May.

I know minutes is cutting it pretty close, but still-not such an alien concept in my mind...

7. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    Maybe we can just say the force was keeping her alive whilst urging Anakin to hurry his butt up and get on over to see ol ma

crapiola likes this.
  8. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I second that. I've seen a similar thing very first hand. My father had been very ill for some weeks and when I came to see my mother (I live quite far away) she called him from home and told that I had arrived. At that time he was conscient and appeared a lot better than he's been in days, but next morning the hospital called and told us he'd died early in the morning. We had a distinct feeling that he felt he could let go when he knew I was with my mother.

9. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    A little off topic, but I read a fanfiction on Fanfiction.net where that was exactly the case. In the story, Palpatine had done something (hired someone to do it and there was a "paper" trail) to stir up the Tusken Raider's bad feelings about the settlers like the Lars family and others. And that's why they captured her. I can't recall the name of the story at the moment though.

10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    She dies at the precise moment of Anakin's belated arrival after days, weeks of foreseeing her pain and torment. Yes it's a bit convenient. But no matter. If Anakin makes the obvious decision not to procrastinate ever again when his gift of foresight shows him similar torment and pain for others then maybe everything will work out.

11. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    She was at peace knowing he was a Jedi....he fulfilled his dream
    Little did she know....her death would begin his journey to the dark side

TOASTEROVEN likes this.
  12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Like this: [​IMG]

[face_beatup]

13. ObiSpamBaloney

Feb 12, 2014
    Well played my young padawan. I guess I should have asked "how did it happen so suddenly" :)

Lulu Mars likes this.
  14. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    The will of the Force.

Cabbage Knight likes this.
  15. Cabbage Knight

Cabbage Knight Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Maybe Anakin was unwittingly keeping her alive through the Force somehow? He obviously thought a lot about his mother during his years in training. That coupled with how much more naturally gifted with the Force he was, perhaps he had, on the subconscious level, empowered her or protected her to some extent. Then when he finds her, his emotions could've disrupted this process in some way, and she passed away. Has it ever been considered that Shmi herself might have latent abilities in the Force? Granted if she did, it would be weak compared to a trained individual. But it might've been enough for her to somehow "know" someone very important to her would be with her soon and that gave her enough "oomph" to hang on for just a bit longer.

16. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    She didn't die immediately(mere moments after) but had been tortured by the tuskens for months.

So she was living on borrowed time anyway.

17. samlecompte1994

samlecompte1994 Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2017
    The film never explained how she was captured though. It is probably one of AOTC's better scenes not involving Obi-Wan(Ewan did a good job nearly unanimously across the fandom), given, for all its flaws, attempted to show Anakin make an early flirtation with turning dark.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Maybe she had a broken neck and moving her was enough to finish her off?

19. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    My memory is a little fuzzy (and not like a nerfherder) on this. Was he actually having precognitive flashes of her torment or having flashes of her actual torment at that time? Because if he was actually feeling her concurrent distress and pain, then I would suggest that in some manner, Shmi could feel him and his anxiousness over the matter. That she knew (in a way) that he was coming to find her and wanted to hang on long enough to see him.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Very simple. She was waiting for him to show up though she didn't know it consciously.

Anakin said they would meet again and so they did. He was right which is why he felt that he was also right in ROTS.

It all works out perfectly in Star Wars operatic storytelling form.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    She was holding out hope for rescue by someone. Although her injuries were to heavy to actually live through so she just gave up on trying after she saw Anakin one last time.

crapiola likes this.
  22. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Strong positive emotions can induce stress just as much as negative emotions. The stress was too much of a strain on her weakened state.

crapiola likes this.
  23. Matty20172018

Matty20172018 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2017
    She told him not to come back.. so your thoughts don't bear to the facts.
    But she was clearly close to death here anyway and the shock of seeing her son again probably was enough to let her give in and succumb to her now inevitable death.
    Problem is, her son has gained a very dangerous temperament compared to cute boy she knew 10 years prior...

24. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    She was waiting for Anakin to come to her.
    Also, in the beginning of the novelization is a scene either cut out or not filmed for the movie where Schmi is telling Owen of what a hero jedi her son Annie now is, and how he will come see her one day. If she told Anakin not to return(I'm assuming in episode 1?) It would be in reference to him being freed from bondage, and how he is now free from that life. It's been 10 years, and she is now freed from bondage as well, and misses her wunderkind.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  25. Zef

Zef Jedi Knight

Oct 26, 2015
    I think Shmi was force sensitive.

crapiola likes this.