main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Gungans fare under the empire?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by StartCenterEnd, Jan 26, 2017.

1. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I know the Empire in both timelines I.e legends and Canon treated aliens pretty horribly. Enslaving Wookiees, limiting stormtrooper recruitment to humans etc but what about gungans? Their representative in the senate, Jar Jar was the one who proposed the admendment to grant Palapatine the emergency powers he needed to become emperor. Did he reward Jar Jar and the gungans for this at all? They did live on his home planet. Do you think Jar Jar eventually realized what he did and becomes very bitter and regretful in his old age? I always hoped he would return in the sequel trilogy as this much older, wiser, cynical gungan passing on wisdom of putting too much power in the executive branch and maybe die a true hero redeeming his great mistake and redeeming himself in the eyes of the fandom.

Does the addition of Naboo in the ending celebration of ROTJ and a gungan yelling, "weesa free!" Tell us anything about the gungan predicament under the empire?

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Hopefully they didn't.

oncafar likes this.
  3. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Well TPM made a point of the Gungans and the surface dwellers of Naboo integrating, so most likely the whole population of the planet suffered under Imperial rule. I don't see Jar Jar ever being "cynical," but it would cool to see an older version of the character reflecting on his early friendship with Anakin and the rise of the Empire.

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    palpatine's relationship to naboo is interesting. it's his homeworld and the first world in a way he tried to conquer (under the budding separtists) and then would have had to conquer again under the republic. it seems he didn't have any special feelings for his homeworld or its people other than that it is his.

and i think he probably thought the gungans inconsequential in the sense that they are "the little people," but yet significant enough to actually have the droid armies find them and oppress them as well.

i wish i knew if he planned to exterminate them or not. i think he only ordered it in the movie because they chose to stand against him, and so they deserve death.

for some reason i don't feel like naboo would have ended up being friendly to the rebel alliance as i think they might have decided it best to just cooperate with the empire... in that case perhaps the empire did very little to bother naboo?

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    oncafar likes this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What is there to reward? Jar Jar did a proposal, nothing more. It was the senate who approved.

Jar Jar did what he felt was right. It was Palpatine who exploited the emergency powers granted to him, and lied when he claimed he would abdicate from them when the war was over.

It simply tells us that the people of Naboo (Gungans included) were not happy with the Empire's oppressive regime and celebrated its fall.

7. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    palpatine manipulated jar jar and would see him as foolish and have no interest in "rewarding" him imo.