main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How did Kylo know that lightsaber was Anakin's?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    When Finn busts out Anakin/Luke's lightsaber, Kylo immediate recognizes it and says it belongs to him. How would he have any idea what Anakin's old saber looked like? He wasn't even born by the time Luke lost it.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    He never said it was Luke's just that the saber belonged to him. My guess is it's a Grievous type thing where he collected all the jedi sabers from those that were massacred.

Allana_Rey and darth_frared like this.
  3. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014

Apparently the movie was initially about him chasing the Lightsaber instead of BB-8. That line of dialogue I assume is all that's left of that plot. Not sure if he's aware that it's Anakin's Lightsaber, but it is most likely one of the last sabers in existence so it makes sense he'd want it regardless.

4. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I have a feeling he knows exactly what light saber that is. Just a hunch though but the way he said "it belongs to me" made me think he knew

5. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    the novel explains it a bit better

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Kylo seems like someone who would want to know EVERYTHING about Vader, and be able to recognize it. Might have already seen a holorecording of Finn using it on Takodona, from hidden surveillance during the raid.

BigAl6ft6 and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Had to learn to stop asking these types of questions about TFA, and just enjoy it ha ha. I don't know why he'd know that was Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber. I guess, um, the Force? If Lor had been watching over Rey on Jakku and he'd been in possession of the saber since Luke's exile, it would make sense to infer that Luke acquired the lightsaber after ROTJ and therefore Ben saw it when he was training with Luke, then Luke gives the saber to Lor before leaving. But that's not how JJ played it, so who knows.

episodenone likes this.
  8. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    It sure is a bit odd, but we don't really know what happened to that lightsaber before it ended up in Maz's castle. I'm pretty sure a future comics or novel will cover this saber's journey, and hopefully explain that detail.

9. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    It does?

I read the novel, but I don't remember anything being explained.

10. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I noticed it but I don't think its anything that needs explanation. Either he recognized the saber, or felt Finn was undeserving of any saber and he's the rightful owner by default.

SlashMan, AmySolo and El_Machete12 like this.
  11. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    He's a fanboy. He knows.

12. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Oh, Finn recognized it immediately......not a lot of lightsabers around, much less those that look like grandpa's, ya know?

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Ren got Rey's experience of seeing it and talking to Maz about it out of her head. He could see that she'd seen a map and somehow could see an island while reading her mind before she started fighting back.

Tommy-wan and AmySolo like this.
  14. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Another way he reminds me of a toddler- throws tantrums, rages when things don't go his way, and sees something he "wants", and asserts that it's already his.

15. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not bringing this up as some sort of plot hole...I'm wondering if his recognition of it may be hinting that the saber has made its round before ending up in Maz's castle.

16. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. I don't know how, but he knew exactly what lightsaber that was.

17. thescavenger

thescavenger Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2016
    He used the force?
    - "That's not how it works"

But yeah, I think he must've felt it through the force. Luke could've told him about its story and how it went missing, but he must've felt it was Anakin's.

Also, how ironic that he was defeated by Anakin's Light Side lightsaber? It's all so poetic.

Revanfan1, SkyloRey, ukijedi and 2 others like this.
  18. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Kylo is a hardcore fanboy, of course he knows the lightsaber is his grandpa dearest Vader's.

19. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    He has his grandfather's helmet. He's probably done his homework and knows what the saber looks like.

20. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Do they have photos in the GFFA?

jc1138 and Dak Oolron like this.
  21. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    He bought the Rebellion Art Book that showed all the info about the war and he saw a pic of Luke's saber.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He's obsessed with all things Vader, so I can buy that he'd know what the lightsaber looks like. After all, it is the lightsaber that:

-Anakin used to help kill Mace Windu.
    -Anakin had when he was first given the title "Darth Vader."
    -He used to help kill everyone in the Jedi Temple, and the Separatetist leaders.
    -He used during his duel with Obi Wan on Mustafar.

So yeah, not that hard to buy.

jc1138, Dameron and El_Machete12 like this.
  23. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm not disputing that he would have interest in it. I'm curious as to HOW he would know what that saber looks like. Did he see a picture? Did Luke describe it to him in detail? Was he in possession of it at some point?

24. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Probably he had the saber and Maz stole it from him. Or maybe he is collecting Vader stuff and he recognizes it is Vader's.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Good question. Luke recovered it from Bespin after Lando took back Cloud City; gave it to Ben to train with before he turned against him; took it back from Ben when he was acting weird; and after his Jedi Order fell apart gave it to Maz when he visited her before dropping off Rey on Jakku. There. Simple. Next question!

Just kidding. :)

El_Machete12 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.