main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How did Kylo know that lightsaber was Anakin's?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zackm, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I think Kylo probably figured it out pretty quickly. He knows that Rey and Finn have been with Han, now suddenly they have a lightsaber. With them hanging out with his family it's not too hard to figure out who's lightsaber it might be. I'm sure by that point (over 50 years since the Jedi Purge) that lightsabers were far and few between. Plus, he may have known what it looked like from his studies.

Truth. I'm one of those people. :)

TooMuchBBQ likes this.
  2. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015

Yep; they are interactive holos of the picture displayed in realtime. There was one of Padme and a little alien child hanging on the wall of her bedroom in a deleted scene from AOTC.

3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Excellent! Thanks.

4. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    You

5. Plan741

Dec 22, 2015
    I haven't seen much in Rebels to get excited about other than Vader and Snips . I do not like Kanan and not Ezra. It will be annoying if they somehow surface in the ST after sitting out the OT. It would totally undermine Yoda's last words to Luke about being the Last Jedi.

I hated that they did that with the novels and comics back when.

Sarge and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  6. oldskooljedi23

oldskooljedi23 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    the same reason he knows ANYTHING about him I guess. Stories, legends and by his own 'investigations' into Vaders past...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

There's a holorecording of Anakin using the lightsaber to kill Jedi in Order 66 so Kylo probably recovered it from the archives of the Empire.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Never really thought about it. I kinda just assumed he recognized it as Anakin's in the film without even thinking about it. With all the technology and information at the First Order's disposal, I'm not doubting he knew exactly what it was. Frankly, it didn't need an explanation. How Maz got that lightsaber, however...

AmySolo likes this.
  9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    There's also a holo-recording of Anakin joining Sheev and receiving the title "Darth Vader" in ROTS. Because Sheev apparently was too careless to have that erased/destroyed/hidden.

10. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    That was when Palpatine met up with Vader after the assault on the temple. There was no recording of his knighting shown in the film.

(Right?)

11. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The exact Sidious' words are: "You have done well, my new apprentice. Now, Lord Vader, go and bring peace to the Empire."

AmySolo likes this.
  12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Duuude...

I was just watching The Clone Wars when I got to an episode about building lightsabers. A droid shows up with a database of every lightsaber ever made. I wish I had seen this episode prior to seeing TFA.

AmySolo likes this.
  13. ucdex

ucdex Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    My own personal take on this is that lightsabres are pretty rare objects during the old republic and probably even more rare by this time in the Galaxy.

So even if Kylo Ren couldn't see the exact detail of the sabre, having a blue one show up in a fight, he could surmise it is Luke's old sabre and by extension his grandfather's.

This doesn't discount alternative theories where he may have seen a hologram of one as a child with Luke/Leia/Han around, or perhaps heard a description of it from Luke himself when he was with him.

or that he simply meant no one else in the galaxy ought to own one , except him (in this case the line could be interpreted as 'i'm the only force user around so I collect all sabres')

I think the story left it fairly open for the audience to fill in.

Worker11811 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.