main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Luke get to go to Dagobah?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithLord_1270, Nov 22, 2012.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    didn't Lucas say in an interview that Skywalker is a common name in the galaxy , as an explanation for why the Lars don't change his name when they adopt him ?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Deleted scene says "no". Red Leader knows who Luke's dad is just by the name.

It kinda irks me when Lucas bothers pandering to reality with things like that. It's a space fantasy. Things don't need to make sense all the time, especially in ANH.

3. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    He said the magic word.

4. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    isn't that scene still in there, but they just dubbed over it by having someone walk in front of the camera when Red Leader spoke about knowing his father.....

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, actually. But deleted scenes are canon.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes and no. Some deleted scenes get "decanonised" by later work- such as Shaak Ti's death scene.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    True. That's an exception as far as I am aware, though.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that "Kenobi & Skywalker" are household names across the galaxy by the end of the Clone Wars (in the RoTS novel intro) it might make sense that Red Leader jump to the conclusion that a Skywalker great pilot from Tatooine must be related to Anakin.

Whereas Anakin himself, believed Padme died and her child died with her- and while contemplating the possibility that this belief is wrong, doesn't reject it until ESB when the Emperor confirms Luke is "the son of Anakin Skywalker".

9. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I never understood that retcon. Vader knew who Luke was since shortly after Yavin and he knew Luke had close ties to Obi-Wan. Unless he was feigning surprise when the Emperor reveals the identity of the young rebel who destroyed the Death Star.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it was after Lucas's changes. In the original, there's no allusions to Vader's amazement.

After the retcon, while Vader's known Luke's name for a long time, he hasn't put that together with the death of a pregnant Padme to conclude that birth was induced before she died.

11. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I think it was an unnecessary change to be honest. Vader's obsession with finding Luke made more sense when he knew he was his Son. It made more sense to me anyway.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Knowing just how powerful Luke is (after their encounter in Splinter of the Mind's Eye) might be a factor.