main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How did Maz get Anakin's and Luke's lightsaber?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Onur91, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000

I wouldnt be surprised if she has a holocron or two in her possession....

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Marshall132 wrote

I think Maz has more than just Lukes Lightsaber. I think she collects light side artifacts.

Considering that Anakin used this lightsaber to butcher little children with it, I can't possibly think of it as a "light side" artifact. [face_hypnotized]

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    she stole it from Kylo? o_O

4. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    While it would be interesting to know, I am not sure why people think that where she got it is important to the story line. The role it plays in awakening the force in Rey is clear and given its history, understandable and sufficient. Do we really need this to be explained? Good story telling always leaves room for some imagination, no?

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The fact that she's been confirmed to return for Episode VIII, I believe, is going to make things all the more interesting. IF they explain it, then I suspect that it will be in a scene with Luke (and probably Rey) as well.

Wildcatbarry and AmySolo like this.
  6. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Why would Luke know what happened to his lightsabre, and why would he care? He built another one and presumably thought it was lost for good

7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I didn't say that he'd know or care. But I could see a scenario where he and Rey visit Maz for some other reason, and the subject comes up. Not saying that it WILL, but it could.

8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Luke: "Maz.... How did you get the saber?"
    Maz: (sly look) "well it was like this..."

Cut away to another Rey vision about something else.

Sarge likes this.
  9. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I didnt catch anyone saying it's important to the story line but the way she says 'good story for another time' indeed sparks the imagination. However, while I have an active imagination and dream away days at the office, my curiosity demands a more official explanation. Whether we get the answer in a movie or comic or whatever, I'm not that concerned. I just want to know what JJ or Kathleen or whoever have in mind as the answer.

And yes, there should always be some things left to us but some writers go too far (looking at you Mr Morrison,) but that always boils down to personal preference. In that light, the answer being not told in episodic movie might satisfy both sides. It's out there for those that want to know, but in a comic or novel that can be ignored by those that don't care/want to know. ;)

10. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    If this thread has already been posted, please let me know.

I watched ESB over the weekend and realized that the lightsaber Maz has came from Luke and his battle with Vader on Bespin. In watching ROTJ, Vader is holding the new lightsaber Luke made for himself. There is a distinctly different design.

So, how did Maz acquire it? Bespin is a city in the clouds, did some maintenance worker pick it up one day? We don't know where it landed. Lightsabers seem to have a life of their own so I am curious about what happened to Luke's newer saber.

It would explain why Rey saw and heard certain things in her vision when touching it. Curious that Luke didn't have visions of Anakin Skywalker when Obi Wan Kenobi gave him the lightsaber back on Tatooine. But, that could be a story continuity glitch in the writing.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  11. Tal Raimi

Tal Raimi Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2016
    I honestly wonder if we'll ever find out... I wouldn't be surprised if its not answered in the movies and instead maybe in a book or comic.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

13. Cypess

Cypess Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    That lightsaber is important to Luke. It belonged to Anakin and represents a great change in Luke's life. It's a strange history that both father and son lose the right hand in a duel. Since Jedi's build their own lightsabers, I would think it needs to be retrieved. I wonder if his hand was also salvaged. That's goulish but what else was in that box beside the lightsaber. The way it was stored in a velvet protected case was most curious.

I haven't read the third book of the prequel series, The Revenge of the Sith, but I wonder if it is mentioned, does Obi Wan pick up Anakin's after he cut his legs and arm off? How else would he have it? Only a Jedi can see images kept by the lightsaber. Finn doesn't see a thing when he holds it nor Maz.

OHHH, I wonder if JK Rowling borrowed that idea for Harry Potter and the wands holding onto the ghost of the last person they had killed.

Maybe it is a nitpicky thing, but I don't think so.

14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Simple, the lightsaber fell with the hand of Luke , then went out the back of the ship, and fell on her head.:oops:

15. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Maz could have been either staying in or visiting Cloud City, around the time when Vader and Luke were having their climactic fight... It's possible Luke's cut hand together with the Lightsaber fell somewhere near her location, and with such an important relic around, it's better for Maz to keep it instead of letting it get stolen by someone else...

And subsequently kept in that room underneath Maz's castle, waiting for the "Chosen One" to wield it someday...

16. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Someone in here had a GIF of that (Maz popping up with her wooden chest and catching Luke's hand and saber right after it was cut off), but I can't find it. :(

17. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I believe It will be explained in the next film?

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

[​IMG]

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I think he will say Rey can have the blue sabre.

20. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    Maybe not a continuity glitch as you say, but Rey's sensitivity to the Force. The Force impacts it's users in different ways. I'm excited to see her training and how the Force manifests within her.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
  22. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Hate to say, but I found it on Reddit... :)

EHT likes this.
  23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016

Considering that the first half of the movie is them trying to find Luke, I'd assume it's pretty damn important that they find out who had possession of it first. You know...A LEAD. The only problem is that Starkiller Base had to show up and make all of my misgivings with the film even more detrimental. They basically dropped that plotline altogether because they didn't fill their OT-reference quota and decided to stick yet another spherical superweapon in a Star Wars movie (because the fanbase was clamoring for another one of THOSE :rolleyes:).

What Are The Odds likes this.
  24. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Among a long list of annoyances, this is the most annoying thing about the fanbase these days. Everything. Must. Be. Explained. Preferably. With. Charts.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I posted that, originally. Still makes me laugh.

thejeditraitor and EHT like this.