main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"How did my mother die?"-

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by skyysoblue, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    Why doesn't Luke ask this question?

If Luke had known his mother died while they were born, he would not have asked Leia if she had any memories of her mother.

Given what we know the emperor told Vader, Obi Wan could have said that Darth Vader betrayed and murdered "your parents."

Then, when Vader reveals he is Luke's father, Luke would be able to confront him about the death of his mother.

2. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Maybe its because he's always had Beru, and she was like a mother to him, whereas Owen didn't always understand, and Luke wanted a father who would love him for him...i think...

Cheers_Cazza@};-

3. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Owen and Beru could have told Luke the truth that his mother died in childbirth. But telling him your father became the number one bad boy in the galaxy is something they'd most likely lie about.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    he probably knew that his mother died shortly after his birth - that's why he's with the Lars' in the first place
    they probably got away with saying "We don't know much about her", too, which is, for a change, the truth (I doubt they learned much during Padmé's stay in AotC)

Luke somehow knew more about his father and was a lot more intrigued by him and his story and life.

5. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Boys tend to be more like their fathers than their mothers so its natural that he would have more of an interest in dad. Add this to the fact that the whole "how did my father die?" question was prompted by the fact that Obi Wan just revealed that Uncle Owen LIED to Luke about his father's whole history. For all Luke know, whatever story they gave him about his mother and her demise was still true.

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    There's no real connection that Luke has to Padme other than she giving birth to him. Boys are more focused on their fathers than their mothers unless they are a momma's boy. Beru and Owen didn't know much about Padme other than she pretty with long dark hair. He only asks about her to Leia when he has his intentions to turn Anakin away from the dark side.

7. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005

I don't think it would of went like that at all. If someone told me a lie about how my father had died, I would be questioning everything else they had told me as well.

It's true, Luke just never seemed to care about what happened to his mother.

8. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Luke just never seemed to care about what happened to his mother.

He has no memory of her. It's a null person to Luke.
    It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he's never
    had a mother and doesn't think in those constructs.
    The Lars seem to have a don't ask, don't tell policy
    about Padme.

They do tell Luke a lie about his father being a navigator on a
    spice freighter, so he has some connection to him, especially
    since Luke is an aspiring bush pilot.

So here's the real noodle bender:
    Owen tells Luke that his father was a navigator on a ship.
    Do think Luke would have been interested in piloting
    had Owen not told him that his father was a spacer?

In other words, did Owen and Beru unintentionally encourage Luke
    to be like his father, even when they were trying to make
    him the opposite?

9. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Probably just because GL was focused on the father. I've gotta believe though in the Rotj talk with obi-wan he would have asked about his mother. The eu has him finding out 30 years later!

10. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Or because the films were written 25 years before the prequels. Unfortunately.

11. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    You know how Luke asked Leia about her mother?...I always wondered what would happen if Luke had used it to his advantage against Vader, if he had, palpy would have had no hope!o_O

Cheers_Cazza@};-

12. DarthSon

DarthSon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2000
    They probably told him the truth. And since it was not a lie, he didn't get that tingly feeling in the back of his head he always got when they mentioned his father lol. I think Lukes ability in the force, even as a child, picked up on the story told about his father, and he was never sold on it. His mother though, did die in childbirth, so he would have no reason to doubt it.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Luke: Ben, how did my mother die?

Ben: Your mother was murdered by your father, Anakin Skywaler, when he turned to the Darkside. Anakin was seduced into evil by the Chancellor of the Republic who actually turned out to be an evil lunatic with Force powers named Darth Sidious. Beer?

14. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Ben: "Actually she wasn't murdered by your father Anakin Skywalker, but she lost the will to live after your father started down a path she couldn't follow".

15. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    "darth vader killed your father and mother"

16. Viceroy_NuteGunray

Viceroy_NuteGunray Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2005
    Very good point. Probably already knew his mother (Padme) died giving birth to him.

17. anakin_luver

anakin_luver Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2005
    Ben saying that Darth Vader had killed her would of tied in with his whole "from a certain point of view." He could of explained then and there about Vader being Anakin and Padme.

18. Darth_Ramsis

Darth_Ramsis Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 1, 2005
    Also if Luke was told about Vader Force Choking Padme, Luke would not be as willing to try and save him. But really like Lucas has said before the OT is about a father and son. If the movie was about a family reunion, Leia would have been up there with Luke for the final duel and Padme's story or whatever Lucas thought of at the time would have been revealed.

19. Lakisha

Lakisha Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2005
    Did Luke ever find out about Padme after ROTJ??? There was one book where he searches for information on her but it was really a trap.

20. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    No Luke didn't find out in ROTJ, the "trap" thing was in the Black Fleet Crisis Triolgy (EU Literature)

He never really found out about his mother it was just a ruse so this girl could find her people agian...

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    EU Spoiler: Luke and Leia find out their mother's identity in the Dark Nest Trilogy when Luke stumbles upon a heavily encoded/ encrypted/ secured memory bank in R2. They see videos of scenes from RotS. Basically, they're watching RotS on R2. They learn the name Padmé and through research find out that she was a former Queen and Senator of Naboo. Not sure about the rest, I'm only halfway through Book 2

22. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Back to the question: he doesn't know that Ben even knew his mother at all.

23. ulien

ulien Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I guess, he just discovered Ben knew his father , so he try to ask question about the father. And you usually don`t ask "How did my mother die" when you here " I knew your father"

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Just copying over my posts from a duplicate thread that has been closed (niote that that thread just dalt with why Luke didn't wonder about her all not, not why he didn't specifically ask OB1 about her):

Back to the topic at hand: now having seen the birth of the twins, the fact that Leia actually has memories of her Mom at all, regardless of whether Luke does or not, makes me wonder if she's even talking about Padme or Mrs. Bail Organa. Clearly the implicaiton has always been the former, but barring these memories being some kind of 'force power' on her part, it's certainly become confused. DoesLeia even know she's adopted? Before the PT, I had assumed the twins' mother had gone into hiding and remarried, telling Leia that this new husband was really her father. Looking back, of course, it would be pretty hard for Vader not to have found her if she's married to a senator.

On the other hand, growing up, Luke couldn't have beeen told much about his mother, as his Aunt and Uncle had only ever met her once, and probably knew nothing about her. Instead, Luke knows that his Uncle is related to his Dad (half- or step-brother, I forget, and my curiousity isn't so great that I'm willing to subject myself to AOTC again). Plus, Uncle Owen has clearly spoken of Anakin to Luke, so it's natural Luke focuses on him, rather than his mother, who he knows nothing about and therefore feels no conneciton to.

I'd add that given the disdain Owen has for the Jedi and everything else having to do with Anakin and OB1, he probably hasn't ever given it much thought. Pluis, he figures the less Luke knows about his parentage the better.

Maybe he told Luke his parentss died in a car crash, a la Harry Potter.

25. I_AM_IRON_MAN

I_AM_IRON_MAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 11, 2002
    In ROTJ, the way Luke questions Leia, pointedly saying "your real mother," would imply that Luke knew Leia was adopted, and thus would probably assume her real parents were dead. So he already knew his mother died when she was young.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.