main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT how did obi wan defeat darth maul? opinions?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thedarksideisgreater, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    I mean if maul can kill qui gon then why didn't he slaughter obi, obi wan had no close skill to maul at all i mean the training maul had compared to obi wan was more intense and hardcore to put it bluntly,

any ideas?

2. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    He had the high ground..... oh... wait...... er

(sorry , couldn't resist)

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    I'd like to hear what Erkan12 has to say about this.

As for my own take, "You never did learn to mind your surroundings!" --Batman

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Darth Maul was caught up in the moment and thought that Obi-Wan did not have a weapon. Maul trained for years for the moment to strike down the Jedi and he had just killed an excellent and well respected master so his adrenaline was high. He's a Sith but not perfect, so he forgot the saber was right there and Obi-Wan took advantage of it

5. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016

6. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I guess Maul was just toying with him. I presume Maul would eventually force push him down the pit after a while of Obi-wan hanging there

7. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    i guess thats reasonable, it just always baffled me, he could have thrown his sabre or something

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  8. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    well he could've and it is a weird kind of ending but it's one of the best endings to a saber duel in the saga, In my opinion. He could've finished it for sure but he wanted to rub it in and bask in his glorious moment, like a true Sith would

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the same reason all sith and dark siders are defeated, over confidence and arrogance. maul was gloating over his defeat of both jedi and playing with obi before he killed him. he was foolish to do so

.[​IMG]

10. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    but we all agree that if that stupid little moment never happened obi wan would have died for sure

11. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    sith need to sort their **** out

12. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    obi-wan had plot armor. he couldnt have died, if youre a sith fan you can enjoy obi-wan's death in episode 4 lol

Thedarksideisgreater likes this.
  13. Darth Baiter

Darth Baiter Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2016
    Everything I have seen in the prequels, ANH , and TCW shows obi won is one hell of a fighter. Even as a padawan he was superior to qui gon with the light saber. I don't think light saber skills equals force skill.

Jhawk117 and AshiusX like this.
  14. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    that maybe true, but maul was a master in every sabre fighting style there was, obi wan was most likely very good at a style he picked but not a master

15. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    that damed plot armour the movies would have turned out so different without it ^:)^

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  16. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Because Obi-Wan was the better fighter that day. He slayed Maul and that was the beginning of a great Jedi career for one of the most important and most powerful protagonists in the Saga. All this EU extrapolation of Maul's supposed mastery of every fighting style ever and the retroactive continuity crap with Maul surviving into TCW (and even the original freaking trilogy) don't really mean anything to what we see on film in The Phantom Menace--the truest cannon of all.

17. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    that is the truest statement i have read,

but are you saying obi wan is better with a lightsabre then qui gon even though obi wan cant defeat dooku in a fight but qui gon who was defeated by maul was one of the best duellists alive along with dooku

And the TCW series is cannon just as much as the movies george said it himself and made it himself showing you that maul isnt no bitch and every time they fought in the seires obi wan got his ass beaten

18. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I agree. I like TCW and all but that Darth Maul stuff in there is not canon to me. GL even said after TPM that Maul was officially dead. I only count the 7 films as canon.

19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    tcw was after he said that. maul came back because gl said so and it was done extremely well.

20. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    I know it was done after he said that but it doesnt mean the return of Maul wasnt fan service at it's finest. It was a big draw when Maul returned. I'm fine with people who enjoy Maul being brought back but I just dont consider it canon even though it is officially

Davak24 likes this.
  21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    did you watch it?

22. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Yes I did. Im actually a fan of TCW(as you could probably tell by my avatar)..but to me I just didnt like Maul as a crazed and desperate guy. I never foresaw him being like that

23. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    so you didn't like it because it wasn't what you wanted.

24. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    No, I didnt like it because I dont see how someone can get cut in half and survive.

25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    in sw? ok.