main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT how did obi wan defeat darth maul? opinions?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thedarksideisgreater, Jan 25, 2016.

1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    It takes away credibility from Obi-Wan because he never killed Maul. And there is no way Maul survived that long without food or without a male's vital organ. Totally ridiculous

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no it doesn't and what? mother talzin's magic kept him alive.

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Mother Talzin should've went and got him instead of leaving him to suffer, lol

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

"...he lives in the Outer Rim, in exile."―Mother Talzin tells Opress that Maul survived.

After his body had been severed in half by Obi-Wan Kenobi, through his hate and will to survive, Maul used the Force to grab an air vent as he was tumbling down the reactor shaft. He then went into a trash container.[10] Maul's shattered body was dumped on the junkyard world of Lotho Minor.[12] He lived in the bowels of the planet and had his legs replaced by a six-legged apparatus that allowed him to walk again.

Thedarksideisgreater likes this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Maul was clearly superior. Even in TCW he could still handle a master-level Obi-Wan with ease. So the indication to me is that Maul got cocky. Han Solo was most likely very disapointed when he discovered that.

6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Possibly my favorite end to a duel; it was completely out of nowhere, and Maul must have been just as surprised as the viewer. Obi-Wan was defeated, but not killed. Obi-Wan could still escape, so Maul did what he could by raining sparks down on him as he waited. Obi-Wan just saw his opening and took it when Maul was least expecting it.

Originally, Obi-Wan had a much more acrobatic finish by severing his opponent in midair.
    [​IMG]

7. Thedarksideisgreater

Thedarksideisgreater Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2016
    the force my friend it is a powerful allie, just like anakin at the end of ROTS he is also in half basically and burning alive,

i dont like how they did bring him back as just a whiny little bitch, i mean maul had so much going for him

8. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    This is what i mean Maul had so much more power then we were shown and that saddens me

9. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    Darth Maul was superior to Qui Gon and Obi-Wan. That is pretty clear from the movie.

Darth Maul went down like a punk because he got overconfident. One small beef I have with the movie is that the final shot has him going down stupidly. The guy has amazing speed and reflexes and he just kind of watches Obi-Wan fly over him and force pull the saber? That jump, force pull, and swing actually took a lot of time. They should have sped that part up when filming that scene so that it really looks like Darth Maul was really taken by surprise. In the movie he's just kind of gawking and spectating watching Obi-Wan.

10. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    yea thinking about it, maul was very very fast to say the least, obi wans jump and slide took sometime. maul would have very quickly evaded the blow or deflected it with ease. more owned a qui gon who was one of the wises and best duellists there was, yet gets a sucker punch from obi wan

11. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Maybe a cooler ending would be Maul completely forgetting about Qui Gon's lightsaber (like he did in the movie) then have Obi-Wan force throw the light saber into Maul's chest while Obi-Wan is hanging on for his life. Then once the saber has impaled Maul then he force jumps to the top, force pulls the saber back, and chops Maul in 2. That would explain Maul's reaction time being slower, because he's been impaled by a light saber.

12. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    i think instead of obi doing the sabre throw qui gon does seeing as obi needs both hands to hang on, plus qui gon at this point in the fight wasnt completely out the fight, he was using the force to maintain living.
    it would have been a better way for the master qui gon to dead sacrificing his last bit of force power to throw the sabre in maul. then obi wan jumps up as maul is looking at qui gon confused as all hell

Storm_Cloud likes this.
  13. MidKnighT

May 23, 2005

Ya that works too.

14. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    well he had his arms and legs severed so it's a little more believable that he made it through. I just dont like the idea of everyone coming back to life. If Maul survived than the Emperor could've easily survived

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  15. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    thats true but maul wouldn't have bleed out, seeing as it was a light sabre and maybe because he isnt human he doesn't have the same organs as humans making it more believable, meaning he may not have died at all.

them emperor even if he survived the fall like maul did, i dont think he would have had the time to leave as the ship was blowing up meaning he would have died in the explosion

16. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    you saw blood spew from Maul as he got cut in half in TPM if you rewatch it, maybe it's not as impossible as i think it is. Mother Talzin apparently used her magic to keep him alive in TCW

17. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    i think the blood was just for effect remember in ANH where obi wan cut the hand of the alien and his hand has blood there, that was changed because a sabre is pure heat meaning the wound would be sealed with impact of the blow, george lucas changed that for a good reason i mean qui gon doesn't bleed and he got stabbed in the gut, do why does maul its just for effect

18. Xenor

Xenor Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2014
    Huh? Obi Wan did not defeat Maul. He got beaten and pushed down.
    He only got to kill Maul after that because of Plot Armor the same as vs Anakin.

Erkan12 likes this.
  19. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    you know it!!! maul would have wiped the floor with obi wan if there was no plot armour

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  20. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    Because Maul made THREE mistakes in a row:
    A) toying with Obi-Wan instead of finishing off quickly
    b) he was astonished and totally off guard when he made the force jump
    c) he totally forgot about Qui-Gon's saber

that said, I dont like the way the scene was directed-edited

21. Thedarksideisgreater

Jan 24, 2016
    i doubt he forgot about the lightsabre he most likely just didnt think obi wan had the power or the strategic mind to get the lightsabre, plus the editing could have been much better

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Obi-Wan was no match for Darth Maul in their duel.
    [​IMG]

23. SexyRey

SexyRey Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    What? Obi-Wan did kill Maul and that was true cannon all the way up until they retconned Maul into TCW for fan service. You can consider new Maul cannon and like the fact that they brought him back much as you want... but acting like Obi-Wan only survived against a character that he actually canonically slayed because of HIS "plot armor" is lunacy. Maul's supposed strength yall jeep referencing is retroactive continuity from EU. Yes it's officially cannon but man yall take it to another level acting like this new version of Star Wars is what it always was lol.

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    he had the high ground!

oh wait...low ground? hanging-no-ground?

:p

Edit: D'awww didn't read the second post :p nevermind.

25. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    I generally go with "because Maul was being an arrogant creep and Obi-Wan caught him off-guard at the right time", "because that's just the way it happened in this story, so whatever," or he defeated him using the power of handsomeness. (On most days I am inclined to side with the first, and most serious, option. :) )