main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did Palpatine become so powerful?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Vaan_Karrde, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004

If Lucas didn't originally intend for the dark side to be stronger, then why was the Emperor able to overpower Luke so easily with force lightning?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

farrell, this scene seems to confuse the hell out you....you continue to rant about "how powerful the emperor seemed in this scene".:confused:

I dont know what the emperor did for you back in '83 but he attacked a man who had given up.

Think about it.....Luke had GIVEN UP!

He threw his weapon away, this scene did not make the emperor seem 'untouchable'.

It's obvious that Lucas originally intended for the darkside and lightside to be equals....with Luke and Vader being equals (with Luke being younger and having more potential) and Yoda and Sidious being equals.(two old wise force masters from each side).

The best way to keep from getting confused is to stop applying Lucas' new quotes/comments to his original trilogy.....he is an entirely different man than the same one who created 'StarWars' back in the day.

New comments for the new trilogy.

Old comments for the old trilogy.
    [face_peace]

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But don't forget to take into account that Vader didn't want to kill his child. He wasn't fighting as hard he as he could.

3. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    farrell, this scene seems to confuse the hell out you....you continue to rant about "how powerful the emperor seemed in this scene". confused

I dont know what the emperor did for you back in '83 but he attacked a man who had given up.

Think about it.....Luke had GIVEN UP!

He threw his weapon away, this scene did not make the emperor seem 'untouchable'.

People who saw the OT had never seen lightning blocked. It seems they assumed that Luke would be electrocuted even if he had a weapon. Did you think or did Luke think that a saber could have blocked lightning when ROTJ was made? If not, then it would seem like the dark side is much stronger. The Emperor had a weapon that Luke couldn't defend against. This is why I think Lucas intended for the dark side to be stronger in the OT.

It's obvious that Lucas originally intended for the darkside and lightside to be equals....with Luke and Vader being equals (with Luke being younger and having more potential) and Yoda and Sidious being equals.(two old wise force masters from each side).

The best way to keep from getting confused is to stop applying Lucas' new quotes/comments to his original trilogy.....he is an entirely different man than the same one who created 'StarWars' back in the day.

The OT are still the same movies, with minor changes. All of Lucas' comments apply to the entire saga. There's no way to prove that he didn't initially intend for the dark side to be stronger. If if he didn't, Lucas now says that the dark side is stronger. The saga is complete, so Lucas' opinion about the nature of the Force stands.

If Lucas can just change his mind about everything, we wouldn't be able to be certain about anything in the movies. You could say that Anakin isn't really less powerful after his injuries because Lucas might change his mind. This doesn't work because the story is finished. Suited Vader is less powerful, and the dark side is more powerful. This is what Lucas decided.

I don't think the OT ever said that Yoda is the Emperor's equal. After all, the Emperor claimed that feeble Jedi "skills are no match for the power of the dark side". Maybe some people thought Yoda was the Emperor's equal. However, I saw a thread that claimed people thought the Emperor was the most powerful Force user in the galaxy, based on ROTJ.

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Actually, he said that Luke's skills are feeble. He didn't say that all Jedi skills are feeble. Palpatine's use of the Lightning was to do something different with the Force than had been previously established. Rather than just choking Luke or cutting him up with a Lightsaber, he was to be electorcuted slowly. But then Lucas changed things to show that the Jedi and Sith are not that different. That they could fight and that the Jedi could defeat the Sith.

Lucas only says that the Dark Side is stronger, if you want to cheat death. The Jedi cannot cheat death, nor do they desire to. And we don't know if they could cheat death, because the Sith are notorious for lying. Finally, Obi-wan says that he will become more powerful if he dies. Palpatine only beats Yoda to establish why he didn't go after him again, why he went into exile and why only Anakin could kill him. Luke cannot beat him only for the purpose of giving Anakin a choice, save his son or stand by his Master. He chooses to save his son.

5. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    I don't know what you're talking about but all I can do is refer you to: http://www.theforce.net/swtc/continuity.html

That has been my source for what is canon and what is not and unless I misread (and that may be possible), you are mistaken. :)

6. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004

7. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Actually, he said that Luke's skills are feeble. He didn't say that all Jedi skills are feeble.

Luke is a Jedi. Wouldn't that mean the Emperor is talking about the Jedi in general? Luke's skills are feeble next to the power of the dark side. They wouldn't be feeble next to the power of the light side.

Palpatine's use of the Lightning was to do something different with the Force than had been previously established. Rather than just choking Luke or cutting him up with a Lightsaber, he was to be electorcuted slowly. But then Lucas changed things to show that the Jedi and Sith are not that different. That they could fight and that the Jedi could defeat the Sith.

That's what was so good about ROTJ. We saw the Emperor use a Force power that was never seen before. I don't see why it was necessary to change anything when it worked for the story in 1983. It made people see the Emperor as more menacing and powerful. Now people seem to see him as just a fraud in the power department who talks about being all-powerful but doesn't do anything special.

but it didnt seem like something that Yoda wouldnt have had knowledge of.....HE'S OVER 900 YEARS OLD.

Possibly. The real question is did Luke have any idea that lightning can be blocked?

Well post the link....I'll go over and straighten 'em out.

It was a thread asking if Palpatine looks less powerful in ROTS. The thread was locked, but I saved some pages from it on my computer. Here are some excerpts:

"I remember when there was a time that people thought Palpatine was the most powerful Force user in the galaxy. Well, I don't think so anymore. He seems like he's just a master of the dark side. That's it."

In response to this statement, another poster said: "WHY we thought that was because of RotJ, NOT RotS." The first poster went on to say that he initially thought Yoda was talking out of the side of his neck when he said only a fully trained Jedi will conquer the Emperor, but now he believes Yoda. A third poster said: "its good to see that he is not an all powerfull god as he is shown on ROTJ."

Edit: But don't forget to take into account that Vader didn't want to kill his child. He wasn't fighting as hard he as he could.

I think Vader was fighting to the best of his ability. Because Luke was stronger, Vader was unable to beat him.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>That has been my source for what is canon and what is not and unless I misread (and that may be possible), you are mistaken. <<<

Actually, the canon-related statements over at SWTC are pretty old, so they don't always apply to current canon policy. Circa 2000 or so,Lucas Licensing (IIRC) began a drive to revamp its canon and continuity policies, in order to prevent (or at least decrease the amount of) errors. I believe the Holocron (LFL's Star Wars Bible, so to speak) was one of the first things to use the G-canon,C-canon,S-canon,N-canon rating system, though it hasn't been released to the public and is only used by LucasCompany employees.

I will admit right away that I am biased towards the EU, since I've been into it for a while and enjoy a majority of it. However, I would also like to point out that Curtis Saxton's site (the SWTC) is heavily biased towards using a strict interpretation of the films over information given by the EU---though I doubt that he is against the EU, since he's contributed to it a number of times... Additionally, Saxton does not have all relevant VIP quotes there (he hasn't updated the canon section in a while), especially the modern ones from people like Leland Chee (Keeper of the Holocron) and Sue Rostoni (editor at Lucas Licensing.)

:)

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. He's just talking about Luke who thinks he's got what it takes to go up against him, without a Lightsaber. He's making a point in showing him that he's screwed and he only has himself to blame for it.

Because Lucas wanted to change it. That's all Palpatine and the Dark Side is. A fraud. A mere old man who could be defeated, but only by a man destined to kill him. The Dark Side is full of empty promises and false power. His true power lies within the mind, not the body.

Maybe. Maybe not. He throws his sword away, which is symbolic of throwing away his life.

If he was fighting to the best of his ability, Luke would be dead. Against any opponet, Vader wouldn't be conflicted. But it's his own flesh and blood.

10. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    the force lightning scene with mace and the fight with yoda not to mention how much more middle aged the emperor looked in the prequels definitely made him look weaker in my eyes, than compared to rotj

11. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    :confused:

Are you talking about this one??

:confused:

12. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Nope. He's just talking about Luke who thinks he's got what it takes to go up against him, without a Lightsaber. He's making a point in showing him that he's screwed and he only has himself to blame for it.

The Emperor was very specific in his statement. He said that Luke was no match for the power of the dark side, not that he was no match for the Force in general. If Luke threw away his lightsaber in front of an unarmed Jedi, he wouldn't be in danger. He is in danger if he does the same in front of the Emperor, who has lightning at his disposal. This is why the Jedi are "feeble" next to the power of the dark side. They can't do much without a lightsaber.

That's all Palpatine and the Dark Side is. A fraud. A mere old man who could be defeated, but only by a man destined to kill him. The Dark Side is full of empty promises and false power. His true power lies within the mind, not the body.

People didn't think the Emperor was a fraud when they saw ROTJ. Its better to have a villain who's genuinely powerful. This makes him seem scarier, which is how an ultimate villain should be perceived. A villain who doesn't scare anyone isn't effective.

The more powerful the Emperor is, the more people will be frightened. This is why the strong are admired. People crave power. More viewers will admire the Emperor if he looks more powerful, as he did in ROTJ.

If he was fighting to the best of his ability, Luke would be dead. Against any opponet, Vader wouldn't be conflicted. But it's his own flesh and blood.

Not in ROTJ. Luke was more powerful than his mechanical father at the time. Even Lucas acknowledges this.

the force lightning scene with mace and the fight with yoda not to mention how much more middle aged the emperor looked in the prequels definitely made him look weaker in my eyes, than compared to rotj

I think you have precisely identified the problem with ROTS. If the Emperor's portrayal was consistent with ROTJ, no one would think he looks weaker.

Are you talking about this one??

No, although there were quite a few people in your thread who said the Emperor was previously thought of as the most powerful Force user but looks weaker in ROTS. The thread I was referring to was called "Does/Sidious-Palpatine seem less powerful in your eyes?" The first post was on May 19 at 9:33 P.M.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They can do a lot without a Lightsaber as Obi-wan proved with Jango and Grievous. However, Palpatine is making Luke regret his decision not to join him, by torturing him first.

And the PT has shown us that he's not all that scary. He's just a pathetic old man with delusions of grandeur.

But Lucas doesn't want us to admire Palpatine. He wants us to see him as just an evil individual who we should hate rather than admire. He's just one great big bully.

Only because one was using the Dark Side and one wasn't.

It shows that Palpatine could be defeated without Anakin. Besides, we all know he's faking being weak.

14. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    They can do a lot without a Lightsaber as Obi-wan proved with Jango and Grievous.

Those are non-Force users. The Jedi wouldn't be able to overpower Luke without a lightsaber. Only the Emperor can do that.

And the PT has shown us that he's not all that scary. He's just a pathetic old man with delusions of grandeur.

I think you need a scary villain in order to have an effective story. If the monster in a horror film didn't frighten anyone, people wouldn't enjoy the movie. The Emperor is supposed to be a menacing character because he's the ultimate villain.

But Lucas doesn't want us to admire Palpatine. He wants us to see him as just an evil individual who we should hate rather than admire. He's just one great big bully.

Why wouldn't Lucas want us to admire the ultimate villain of the story? Many people have an affinity for evil characters.

15. Mandalore_X

Mandalore_X Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Farrelg.Lucas said Vader was the one meant to sacre poeople,not the emperor.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Palpatine became powerful because of the lineage of the Sith since the onset of the rule of two. Master and aprentice; when the apprentice is strong enough he defeats the master, if the apprentice is not strong enough he waits until he becomes so or else he is killed then the master must find a new apprentice. Each successive Sith paring must become very pwerful or else they will not survive.
    The Jedi do not train this way, the Sith do. This is why any Sith encountered are tough opponents, they are made that way.

The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.
    They had become new.While the Jedi-
    The Jedi had spent the last millenium training to refight the last war.
    --ROTS novelization.

Sidious is the culmination of a thousand years of adaptation.

17. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Farrelg.Lucas said Vader was the one meant to sacre poeople,not the emperor.

Where did he say this? Do you have a quote?

The Emperor is more powerful and more evil than Vader, so he should be scarier than his mechanical apprentice. The ESB novel even claims that the Emperor is the only person Vader fears. I've heard other people say that the Emperor keeps Vader in line through fear.

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    A mere Force shove is overpowering someone who hasn't done that. Force shove will knock someone out, done right. Can cripple or kill living beings. That's why the Jedi never use them against humans, just droids and each other.

This isn't a horror film. Besides, horror films have been successful without being scary.

Because the moral of the story is evil is wrong and bad. We need to be good and just. Lucas has told us a modern day myth. In all mythologies, good and evil are seen for what they really are. Evil is bad and good is good.

He's only scary because he can switch Vader off, just like that. But it never comes across in the movies that Vader is afraid of Sidious, in the OT. Only Jerjerrod is afraid of him. Lucas didn't follow through on that concept of Vader being intimidated by Sidious.

19. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    The fraud and false power of wiping out the Jedi order and overtaking the galaxy? :confused:

Power, to me, isn't about shooting unstoppable lightning. If you want to see a brainless villain shooting unstoppable lightning I'd recommend Babylon5, I/4 ("Infection") - you're going to see him there. I find nothing compelling to that sort of villain. He also doesn't come across as being very powerful and unstoppable; in fact, he's quite easily outsmarted by Cmdr. Sinclair.

Well, if this is the case I have to say that Lucas did a poor job in this respect. It seems I'm not the only one having a hard time not to admire his mind during the PT. Conversely, I don't find a lot worth admiring in the conceit, stupidity and clumsyness the Jedi order displays.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, he needed to use subterfuge and two armies to do this. He didn't pick up his Lightsaber and shoot out Lightning bolts against ten thousand Jedi. He may have had a brilliant analytical mind, but he wasn't a god.

21. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Snap your neck and possibly crack your head open.

Yeah, they know how to do it. Luke doesn't ever use a Force shove. Thus he'd be owned by a Force shove. Especially a king size one that Obi-wan used on Grievous and tried to use on Anakin.

Lex Luthor isn't scary. Blofeld wasn't scary. Moriarty isn't scary. The Wicked Witch had to be scary, because MGM wanted it to be that way.

No, it's because those films ****. Not because of the scariness. But because they were poor films all around.

Nope. Who says that he's talking about Palpatine? Maybe he is refering to the Dark Side. The Dark Side owns him. It controls him. Palpatine just gives orders, but it's the Dark Side that makes him do what he does.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sorry farrellg, I accidently posted over what you wrote. I'm not sure how I did that. My apologies. :)

Snap your neck and possibly crack your head open.

Yeah, they know how to do it. Luke doesn't ever use a Force shove. Thus he'd be owned by a Force shove. Especially a king size one that Obi-wan used on Grievous and tried to use on Anakin.

Lex Luthor isn't scary. Blofeld wasn't scary. Moriarty isn't scary. The Wicked Witch had to be scary, because MGM wanted it to be that way.

No, it's because those films ****. Not because of the scariness. But because they were poor films all around.

Nope. Who says that he's talking about Palpatine? Maybe he is refering to the Dark Side. The Dark Side owns him. It controls him. Palpatine just gives orders, but it's the Dark Side that makes him do what he does.

23. mandragora

mandragora Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2005
    Did anyone, after having just seen the OT, actually think he had become Emperor by picking up a lightsaber? Such an idea would be incredibly naive (well, if I think about it, it obviously was what the Jedi obviously had expected). No-one becomes Emperor by fighting a face to facen fight alone against the whole galaxy.

I don't know about other people, but I had always thought that not only in the process of actually taking over but also in the process of planning and building the Empire there were a lot more people actively and consciously involved. I had no idea that he had planned and orchestrated the whole thing practically single-handedly.

24. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    completely clueless they were. their arrogance blinding them to a tee.
    they could not even once imagine that the sith would actually have the balls to sit right under their nose and also couldn't even assume they wouldn't be as straightforward as the jedi who just show up on your door step and openly accuse you of something or other, without having any proof whatsoever. just rushing and hastily doing anything at all in order not to appear motionless. *shakes head*

25. TheMaidofOrleans

TheMaidofOrleans Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    Studying? Hitting the books and a few Jedi from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.