main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Palpatine find out about anakin's relationship with Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Shrugs. He spied on them. He intercepted a message.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I like speculation supported by the films

3. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Then you won't get an answer. NOTHING in the films indicates a thing so the films are unable to support any speculation.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    This is also the best explanation I can come up with.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Did Panaka have to do with it?

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Wookieepedia got it from somewhere, but where that somewhere was I am not entirely certain.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Does anyone own the ROTS Visual Dictionary? That's what the footnote said.

8. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What does the ROTS visual dictionary explain?

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's why I asked if anyone owns it--the only thing I know is what Wook mentioned, that Panaka told Palpatine, and once Palpatine declared himself Emperor, Panaka remained a loyal supporter of his.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    It's better then having PalpSidious find out about Anakin & Padme's marriage from Panaka or some clergyman. It just sounds like lazy writing as if the filmmakers forgot that PalpSidious can use the force to see into people's thoughts. Even Obi-wan mentioned that Anakin allowed PalpSidious to enter his mind (granted, he was twisting his mind) which could also explain how PalpSidious knew about the marriage.

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    In that context, *I* could have entered Anakin's mind without being a Sith - Anakin's pressure points were well known to Sids because he nurtured them. I don't think he actually "entered his mind;" that is not an ability that was demonstrated in the movies. Sids was just too skilled at reading people, setting them up to draw their own inferences from what he implies...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Why is it better than having Sidious find about about anakin and padme's relationship through Panaka or the clergyman? How is that lazy writing? It sounds kind of interesting. Some random minor characters who have a major role in the story, and whether willingly or unwillingly, help the emperor lure anakin to becoming darth vader.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    In C-canon terms, that should probably lose out to the ROTS novel, since it seems to contradict Street of Shadows.

14. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    Like I said in a previous post, the writers forgot that PalpSidious can use the Force to see people's thoughts just like the Jedi do when they were testing Anakin in TPM. They knew that he missed his mother even when he didn't say anything and in AOTC, Obi-wan knew that Anakin had visions of his mother. PalpSidious wouldn't even know how to make Anakin tick if he couldn't forsee what's in Anakin's mind.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "seeing people's thoughts" probably doesn't work on a powerful, trained Force User. Which is why the Jedi don't figure out that Palpatine is Sidious. Or that Anakin's murdered people in AoTC. And so on.

Just because the Jedi can read 9 year old Anakin's thoughts, doesn't mean they, or Palpatine for that matter, can read 19 year old Anakin's.

16. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Did Palpatine find out about anakin and padme's relationship through telepathy, or through someone informing him, ie (panaka or the naboo clergy)?

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I prefer "through someone informing him" - telepathy has its limits.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Someone else informing him, means, that some random person like a naboo priest or Panaka, contributed to anakin's temptation and fall to the darkside and becoming Darth Vader, through palpatine using Padme as a lure. I don't know whether or not to like or hate that idea, of a random minor character contributing to such a major event in the sries.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    LIFE is made up of random, seeming minor events.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I've always taken it that Palpatine knows by use of the dark side. The dark side clouds the Jedi's vision, but should magnify the Sith's.

The Sith are sly
    /LM

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I like the idea that he's just diligent- he saw the tension between Anakin & Padme, he noted Anakin took Padme back to Naboo, and that made him Do The Research.

The Force isn't the be-all-and end-all.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Alright, whoever said that he couldn't read minds has no idea what they're talking about.

Okay, I'll give you that he wouldn't risk reading Anakin's mind, but Padme (a senator that would have been around him from time to time) sure wouldn't be able to tell if he tried it on her. This the main reason why she tells Anakin not to stare at her like that in AOTC, because she knew that he could read her mind but wouldn't know if he did. This scene sort of tells us that he could read her mind and that people would consider it a major violation of their privacy, hence another reason why the Jedi seemed rather mistrusted by the Queen in the Prequels.

CircaCitadel likes this.
  23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What does anakin staring at padme having anything to do with reading minds?

24. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You figure it out.

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do u mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.