main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Palpatine know Qui-Gon would find Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rolf Larsen, May 28, 2014.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Read Darth Plagueis.

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Why should anyone go to something that, officially speaking, never happened in order to find answers that, officially speaking, AREN'T answers?

Alexrd likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Dude. You are going to pretend that the fictional history we love (maybe not you but most of us) didn't happen (fictionally speaking) because some executive at Disney figured it would get in the way of his writers having freedom so they can milk as much profit as possible in their new productions? Weak. Disney can make all the announcements they want, they don't control and can't take away the thousands of hours of SW lore I have spent my life consuming.

zompusbite likes this.
  4. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    First of all, no, I'm not pretending. As far as I'm concerned, it DIDN'T happen. It NEVER happened.

Second, you're mistaken if you think LFL ever considered the EU to be their universe's fictional history (and in the end it is THEIR universe, NOT ours). Lucas has NEVER said that and never considered it so; if anything, he's said the exact opposite many times. It was a means to milk as much profit as possible from its fanbase from the very start, neither more nor less, and that hasn't changed and won't now just because a change in administration has occurred. If anything, LFL was glad for the opportunity to decanonize the EU, because fans were throwing that at them as reasons to deny their writers freedom long before Disney arrived on the scene.

Third, try to remember that what the OP was after was an answer to a question, and what's the point of sending that person to an answer that ISN'T an answer because it carries no weight of any kind? The only answer in this thread that DOES matter is the quote of Lucas' own vague answer, and next to that all other opinions, whether mine, yours, Luceno's, or anyone else's, mean nothing at all. NOTHING.

Finally, you think I didn't love the Plagueis novel? I thought it was the best thing the EU had produced in YEARS. But if they say it doesn't present an accurate picture of how Lucas and/or LFL see the franchise that THEY created, then it doesn't, pure and simple - and in any case they had already undermined what the book had to say on TCW several times, again, long before any Disney executives had any say on the matter. You want to be mad at that, blame LFL itself, not anyone at the Walt Disney Corporation.

What's weak is people who dig their heels in for a lost cause and can't accept change.

5. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    @Pfluegermeister There is no lost cause the book exists and the stories exist. It never happened..because it's fiction. Obviously the EU's intention is to make profit, but in that endeavour they created a history of stories that we all love. Lucas quotes don't have anything to do with the SW galaxy outside the stories that he wrote. So don't give me his quotes in regards to the Plagueis novel. You can bow down to corporations or interpret your own creativity.

Holla.

zompusbite likes this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I did read Darth Plagueis. It's left ambiguous there, too.

Maybe you should re-read Darth Plagueis.

7. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    It's not ambiguous. It's stated that the Force reacts to Plagueis' twisted experiments by creating a being to counter the works of the Sith.

But according to team Disney of course, it never happened:p

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He knew because the screenwriter told him?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm told that The Complete Vader states outright that the Sith created Anakin.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Complete_Vader

That's sort of compatible with the later Darth Plagueis - if he only suspects that "The Force Struck Back", and believes that his experiments failed.

10. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    What's this "bow down to corporations" crap you keep going on about? What do you think, that you're somehow different or better? Please. You bowed down to a corporation every time you ever purchased one of those stories you say you loved. This has NOTHING to do with corporations, no matter how much you like to throw that word around like it's some kind of an insult; you just can't accept that your precious old EU has been decanonized, because you can't stand the idea that all those thousands of hours of SW lore you spent your life consuming now has about as much actual impact on the Saga as the worst fan fiction. And when you loved them, you were loving what a CORPORATION was handing you, one not remotely different in its goals and priorities than Disney is. So please stop trying to pretend that corporations don't dictate what you like, because you clearly had no problem letting them do so BEFORE the Disney sale.

And if you're going to tell me that those EU stories matter more than what George Lucas has to say about his OWN CREATION, then that's neither more nor less than denial of the first rank. He regarded the EU as so much ink on paper, but he didn't regard it as proper Star Wars. And yes, I WILL take what the creator has to say about something related to Star Wars over the EU, or James Luceno, or you. In ANY such comparison, what Lucas has to say wins - EVERY TIME. You say his quotes have nothing to do with SW outside of what he wrote? What he wrote IS Star Wars. And if you DID give him a listen, he'd tell you not to get overly attached to things that become naturally subject to change.

No one can tell you what to like under your own roof. If you want to hang on to the old books and proclaim loudly, "Dude, I'm a rebel and I don't accept what others tell me!," then fine, go ahead. But understand that it applies to you, yourself, only. It does NOT apply to everyone. Not even the "we all love these stories" line of yours applies, because they were FAR from universally loved. For every Darth Plagueis, there was a Glove of Darth Vader or a Crucible; for every NJO series (which itself didn't please everyone), there was also a FOTJ or LOTF series; for every Zahn, Stackpole, Luceno or Stover, there was a KJA, a Traviss, a Denning, or a Karpyshyn. And even the books and authors I cited as good ones have their own detractors. We DON'T all love these stories, and we don't all miss them now that they've been rendered irrelevant.

Alexrd likes this.
  11. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    Guys, i understand your opinions. Both Pfluegermeister and The Supreme Chancellor are right, in some ways. Pfluegermeister is right about one thing : the EU have been made only for money. GL deceived his fans, making them believe that the EU were logical prequels and/or sequels to movies while carefully avoiding to say if this is canon or not. The worst is that he made believe also Dark Horse and Del Rey, his partners in the EU (respectively for the comics and the novels). So it's GL the culprit even if I think that Disney was for something in this case (the example of Marvel is always present in my head). But The Supreme Chancellor has also reason because it is impossible to create a story based on an already existing work without the agreement and permission of its creator. DH and DR had a contract with Lucas Film, and they working together to create a coherent and linked universe (famous people as Aayla Secura, created by DH and discovered in Episodes II and III for example), thus giving credibility to EU (mention in Episode III of the battle of Cato Neimoidia, developed earlier in the novel "Labyrinth of Evil").
    You see, from a certain point of view you are both right. So, what to do in this case ? We can follow the advice of The_Phantom_Calamari: "It's left up to the audience to decide. You can't say definitively one way or the other. In fact it's slightly misleading to act like your opinion is the final word on the matter".
    For me, the EU is canon; Why? Because I find that the script writing and the characters's psychology are better developed and more coherent to the movies than TCW & Co .
    Thank you for reading me.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas didn't lie to the fans. He said that they were intended to tell more stories that he himself would probably never tell. But he has been upfront for the last thirteen years about where the EU stands with the films and the cartoons. Whether Disney bought the company, or Lucas himself kept the company and sat down to do the ST, there was no way in hell it was meant to be an influence on his work. Nor be bound by it. TCW proves that. But that's not the point, Lucas himself has said that it is up to the audience to determine Anakin's origins.

Alexrd likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    And thanks back for trying to meet me halfway.

Now, here's where YOU are right: for you, the EU is canon, just as for the Supreme Chancellor, it's canon. But it can only ever be canon to YOU, not to Lucas and not to his company. And for that reason, the EU cannot be a go-to answer for something the films left unsaid anymore, if it ever was. If someone doesn't know something about the nature of Anakin and Palpatine's relationship to each other, one can't just say "read Darth Plagueis" as if that were authoritative when it isn't. And when I say that, that's not called doing what some corporation tells you; IT IS SIMPLY A STATEMENT OF FACT. And that's not something the Chancellor can successfully refute; it simply IS. By their very nature, facts are stubborn things.

He would have done better to just say, "From my personal head canon, based on the Plagueis novel, this is a reasonable possible answer you might like to consider," because that would have been correct. But it's not correct to call a decanonized book the authoritative answer that LFL intends to go by going forward, because we all know that's not so. It wasn't so the moment TCW began contradicting it, and THAT is what LFL is going with. We as individuals may have different feelings about the show than they do, but we don't get to decide what's official or not; they do. The concession I grant the Supreme Chancellor is that LFL doesn't get to decide what he personally likes; he does. But that doesn't make what he personally likes a canon answer he can then point to for others to get answers from. It just doesn't.

zompusbite likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Shrug of God, in short?

15. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
  16. zompusbite

zompusbite Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 3, 2014
    You're right. We could have done that. But don't forget my advice...or the advice of The_Phantom_Calamari: "It's left up to the audience to decide. You can't say definitively one way or the other. In fact it's slightly misleading to act like your opinion is the final word on the matter".
    I just want that all fans understand that to judge something, you must know the ins and outs of it (like you've done) and not refering on one parameters and throw away the others without studying it (like many fans do).

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  17. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    The point is, someone has already written stories that answer these questions. Whether or not Lucas himself confirms it to be 100% canon doesn't matter. There was a question at hand, and someone wrote a story as an answer. Take it as it is or don't. It's there for people that haven't come up with their own stories on what happened.

18. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    @Pfluegermeister Consuming art isn't bowing down to a corporation, the EU does have a lot of crappy material, to go with all the great material. Buying, digesting and appreciating great material is not bowing down. Being led blindly by the Disney corporation into what nonsensical "canon" profits them best, is bowing down.

All hail Disney.^:)^

19. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Because Disney has NEVER made art... :rolleyes:

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It wasn't claimed in the Plagueis novel that Plagueis had increased Palpatine's midichlorian count, just his own.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The "Darth Plagueis" book wasn't intended as the answer, but rather Luceno followed what Lucas said on the subject in the Vanity Fair issue from 2005.