main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion How did Pre-Empire People Name Years/Dates?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by windu4, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I'm writing a fanfic where a certain character is sent to the past into someone's body. He wakes up and is disoriented and unsure of where he is. He winds up asking his master the star date. Now this story takes place before the Clone Wars so he doesn't date BBY/ABY. How did they date the timeline before then?

I have seen some conflicting sources on Wookiepedia and as a result I'm not entirely sure. Any experts on this area?

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
  3. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I skimmed the article and I don't think it has the answers I'm looking for? I mean like the fanfic is set during the Clone Wars so when my character asks for the stardate they can't use the date that's established in the OT. Because the Empire hasn't been created yet.

4. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    the Ruusaan Reformation dates are before the Empire and the Clone Wars.

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    The dating system they use during the Clone Wars era starting at the Battle of Naboo is the Great Resynchronization or Before re-Sync (BrS) and After re-Sync (ArS). So therefore the Seventh Battle of Ruusan (or the Ruusan Reformation) would be 967 BrS give or take a few years. The Battle of Naboo (or TPM) would be 0 ArS and the Battle of Geonosis (AotC) is 10 ArS. The Battle of Coruscant (RotS) is 13 ArS.

As for the Month, Day, Year... it works just like ours do. MM/DD/YYYY or MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YYYY or DD/MM/YY. Month names do not exist (though there is one race that has named them). Days are named, however.

Any story you set before Naboo would use the RR system. Any story set after the Battle of Coruscant would use yet another system. The Empire reset the date with its creation. I do not know the exact terminology and acronyms for it though. The Rebel Alliance/New Republic uses the BBY and ABY system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.