main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did Rukh know?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by EwokStromboli, Aug 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    So at the end of The Last Command, Noghri extraordinaire Rukh gets in his artistically done unkindest cut of all. The Official Site nicely lays out the scene . . . :

Rukh was never far from the Grand Admiral's side, though his incredible stealth abilities meant that he was often overlooked until he was within striking distance. When the Empire's deception against the Noghri people was revealed by Princess Leia Organa Solo, Rukh carefully hid his thirst for vengeance and bided his time. He monitored Thrawn's activities, and chose to strike only when Thrawn came to realize he had lost the loyalty of the Noghri. When the best opportunity presented itself, Rukh killed Thrawn with his assassin's blade. The Noghri was in turn killed by Major Tierce of the Imperial Royal Guard, though the Noghri's killing of a hated enemy made him a legend.

. . . except for one detail (and I don't think the book mentions this, either, as I recall) --- how'd Rukh know of "the Empire's deception"? Presumably, Rukh couldn't just IM with the fellas on Honoghr totally undetected, and he stayed close to Thrawn. So, how did this knowledge go from:

Leia ---> Noghri people ---> Rukh?

PS: First person to invoke the name "Mara Jade" in this thread is sentenced to performing dental work on a squad of Vong warriors.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Hmm.. good question. Well, it is said that it is easy to overlook him. He probably heard Thrawn talking about it at some point.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Man it's been ages since I read that book. But didn't Thrawn pick up some new Noghri at some point? They probobly would have passed the message along. Or am I totally making this up right now?

4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    The other Noghri tell him. There's one of those short story blurbs about it in The Last Command Sourcebook, IIRC.

Basically, they say that they are betrayed and he says he will avenge their betrayal.

5. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    No way Thrawn would make that kind of mistake.

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Yeah, that's akin to Sidious mentioning about how Darth Tyranus was his pawn and he'd soon replace him with Anakin Skywalker while Dooku was in the same room.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    In the novel, the logic for Rukh's attack is provided by the report from Mount Tantiss that they've been attacked by the Star Warriors "and a party of Noghri"... in a way, that's all Rukh, or the reader, needs to know...

The WEG sourcebook tells us there was a messenger, named Akh'laht clan Kihm'bar... presumably the Ahk'laht who later got the Noghri dismissed from NR service for roughing up a Barabel diplomat...

However, if you're being really twisty, Thrawn is actually a clone, and Rukh is keeping an eye on him for the real Grand Admiral, who never left the Unknown Regions... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

8. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    always thought there was a Noghri Command structure HQ'ed on Chimaera. Where the word was passed on from noghri to noghri.

9. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Well, although I would imagine Thrawn would be able to figure out when Rukh is around, it's concievable that Ruhk overheard Thrawn mentioning the Empire tricking the Noghri, since I seem to recall him discussing this with his underlings after the fact. To me, that seems far more plausible than Thrawn allowing a Noghri fresh off of Honoghr to come in and chat with his bodyguard.

"Hello Grand Admiral, lovely day isn't it. Tough break for you guys on my people finding out you're all a bunch of stuck up, half-wit, scruffy-looking nerf herders. By the way, I'd like to speak with my cousing Rukh about how you lied to us and betrayed us, you know, so we can arrange our revenge. Ta."

Yeah, Thrawn's really going to allow that.

Or maybe it was something Thrawn couldn't possibly control, like Waru, or K'kruhk's hat, or Mara Jade (most powerful Force user Ever). Your threat doesn't concern me, because I feel dental work for the Vong would be rather light work. This is a species that practically orgasms every time they feel one of various breeds of oogliths tearing at every pore on their skin, or enjoys having a gnullith gag them. I doubt they'd revel in such pain, and then show up at a dentist complaining about a toothache (by the way, I've got a wickid toothache right now, lousy dentist, overfilling my cavities and whatnot)

10. razzy1319

razzy1319 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2004
    I think Thrawn never knew. nor suspected.

11. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

If you've read the book, then it's obvious word was passed along Nog to Nog, of course.

12. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I always believed that Thrawn picked up some Nogs after the incident with Leia. So they would have a little chat with Rhukh somehow and told him. Not sure where I got the idea from, though

13. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Of coures, that's assuming there wasn't something already going on behind the scenes at Bilbringi.

14. EwokStromboli

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm not sure how obvious that really is (though I haven't read the book in over a year and don't have it with me), but I suppose that's what had to have happened, seeing as Rukh's not a mind-reading. At any rate, Rukh's knowledge of the situation struck me as coming out of left field.

15. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    PS: First person to invoke the name "Mara Jade" in this thread is sentenced to performing dental work on a squad of Vong warriors.

Mara Jade.

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

The Nogs admonish Leia in book 2 when she cautions them to replant their fields in hidden locales; they give Mara cool assurance en route to Wayland in book 3. Each time indicates that the Impy treachery has been realised, and word is being passed along via the commando teams.

17. EwokStromboli

Aug 4, 2004
    The shapers should be faxing over dental records and x-rays shortly . . . or the Vong "analogs," of course. ;)

18. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    Presumably, Rukh couldn't just IM with the fellas on Honoghr totally undetected, and he stayed close to Thrawn. So, how did this knowledge go from

I just got teh funniest image of Rukh on AIM.

Rukh2: Hey
    Dagger43: Who are you?
    Rukh2: I'm Rukh, duh!
    Dagger43: lol, so u hear about teh Empire's treachery?
    Rukh2: No?
    Dagger43: Turns out they were just using us!
    Rukh2: WTH?
    Dagger43: Tell me bout it... :mad:
    Rukh2 Has Left the Conversation
    Dagger43: ???

haha

-The Scummy-

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
  20. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    You're too late, RW. Carefully re-read my post, and you'll see I beat you to it.

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    My guess is word got to him from Noghri to Noghri like others have said. Maybe he has a secret form of communication and found out about the pollution of the world and that's one reason he assasinated Thrawn. The other reasons were that they were being used and were lied to.

22. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    Am I right is assuming that Rukh came back with Thrawn from the UR?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.