main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST How did Snoke seduce Ben Solo?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Articulate, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Honkinen

Honkinen Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2017
    Has it been stated anywhere that Luke trained Ben to be a jedi? Like clear cut statement: "Luke trained Ben to a jedi." I know that theres a lot of hints for that, but Ive been thinking that perhaps Ben didnt get any jedi training. And thats what made him to turn to Snoke after he heard that Anakin is his grandpa and he has gifts for force.
    In TFA Leia says something like: "Thats why I wanted him to train with Luke." Now I know that it sounds like a comfirmation that he did train him, but what if that sentence means that Leia wanted Luke to train him, but Luke/Han didnt want it.
    In graphic novel (or whats it called) of TFA it states that Kylo Ren studied Jedi skills and dark arts.

So what do you think? My theory is that Ben is something like a pilot for Luke, and never got any jedi training from him. Then he goes nuts when the whole Vader lineage is exposed. Maybe he was with Luke cause he wanted to keep an eye for him. In Bloodlines I know that he is with Luke, but does it say in 100% no room for misunderstadin: "Luke trained Ben to be a jedi." ?

2. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    "He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice turned
    against him, destroyed it all. Luke felt responsible... He walked away
    from everything."

"That's why I wanted him to train with Luke. I just never should have
    sent him away."

Join the dots....

3. Honkinen

Honkinen Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2017
    I do understand that its heavily implied that he did. I was just wondering is there anywhere in any media straight up 100% info him being trained by Luke.
    I can connect the dots for that, I just think that Leia means it "I wanted him to train with Luke. Ourmistake is that we didnt let him train with Luke."

4. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    In one of the books Luke and Ben are away on a mission together. I think there's no doubt that Ben was trained in the Jedi ways (or Luke's interpretation of them) and that he was probably second only to Luke in terms of ability.

oncafar, Honkinen and Darth Zitious like this.
  5. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    How did Snoke seduce Ben Solo? Tacos....

6. Darth Mason

Darth Mason Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2016

http://www.starwars.com/databank/kylo-ren
    Says it on their official website - Luke's apprentice
    100% confirmed

7. Honkinen

Honkinen Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2017
    Hey! Thanks a million for this. I can remove my tinfoilhat now. :D

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  8. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    In 'Bloodlines' Vader's identity as Luke and Leias' father was a secret that only Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie knew until it came out in a bit of political infighting for Leia. No telling what the sudden revelation would have done to Ben. I think it would be a bad idea for them to hide Vader's identity, but it sounds like a Skywalker-type mistake.

oncafar likes this.
  9. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    To answer the main question: I think Snoke tried to play it safe and took Ben to the bubble opera. Although I heard Ben was even less of a fan of opera than Anakin was. [face_laugh]

Sum-Wan likes this.
  10. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
  11. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    He kissed the nape of is neck while whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

12. DarthBeagle

DarthBeagle Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    He bought him a drink in the Cantina. That's how it usually happens...

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

13. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012

Kylo , wanted to be a Vader player....

14. Yodahasgreenfeet

Nov 4, 2012

See? We got death star, we got death star!

Sum-Wan likes this.
  15. TheReal_Rebel

TheReal_Rebel Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2015
    How do cult leaders and terrorists seduce people?

They prey on a weakness and a desire. If the revelation was public that Vader was Ben's grandfather and Ben suferred ostracization from his friends and peers as a result. Snoke telling Ben how Vader's desire to impose "order" on the Galaxy is a lofty goal, might be just what Ben wants to hear.

16. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Sorry if this has already been posted.

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1202401/Snoke_2.JPG

17. Palpatine22315

Palpatine22315 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 22, 2015
    I just hope that the specific reason/s for Ben Solo's fall to the Dark Side is MUCH better than the reason for Anakin Skywalker's fall in Revenge of the Sith (thanks to George Lucas).

As you all on doubt recall, Anakin Skywalker desired to acquire the power to "cheat death", or save those he loved from death. He was unable to save his Mother, and he wished to save Padme Amidala, his then wife.

After Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (aka Darth Sidious) reveals himself to be a Sith Lord and DECLARES to Anakin "I have...the power...to save the one you love!" (while fighting Mace Windu), Anakin chooses to help kill Master Windu, all for access to this great Sith secret power.

Then, of course, once Windu is killed, Palpatine is suddenly like...."Oh, I never really knew how to cheat death...but maybe we can work together to discover how to do so." Anakin, bizarrely, doesn't kill the lying bastard on the spot, or at any other time in the future...and Darth Sidious' betrayal is never mentioned again.

I just hope that Ben Skywalker didn't fall to the Dark Side for a similarly stupid reason...like Snoke telling him that Luke and the students make fun of him behind his back.

TheReal_Rebel likes this.
  18. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Well, there's that and the other reasons.

19. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    Considering the question seriously, I'd have to ask first, by what means did Snoke gain access to Ben? And how young was Ben when he did? We know Ben did not go looking for Snoke, it was the other way around. JJ says Ben was targeted by Snoke.

In the novelization it seems Snoke knows Leia. Snoke calls her Leia, not General Leia or the more impersonal "your mother" or even "Leia Organa" or "Leia Organa-Solo". In contrast to " your father Han Solo." No, Snoke says "Leia" as if he knew her personally.

Ren nodded. “Yes.” “The elements align, Kylo Ren. You alone are caught in the winds of the storm. Your bond is not just to Vader, but to Skywalker himself. Leia…”

How does Snoke know Leia?

While Kylo Ben is responsible for his choices, but how much choice did he have is what I wonder about.

20. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Imagine back when Luke rushes off to face Vader in ESB. He does so because he genuinely wants to help his friends, but he's unprepared really for the trap that was set for him. Vader reveals the dark truth. Luke is repelled by it, and escapes. His friends end up saving him.

Imagine now if something similar occurred pre-TFA. Ben is being trained by Luke, but is growing impatient with Luke's method. He's hungry for real jedi power. This is set up against the backdrop that Snoke and the FO is a growing threat, and perhaps he senses that his own friends/family are in danger and wants to help them. Ben rushes off to face Snoke and is unprepared for the trap that was set for him. Whereas Luke is repelled by the truth that Anakin was his father, Ben is angered and overjoyed to hear that Anakin was Vader.

Remember - potentially - up until this point, he was told that Anakin died fighting for the Republic. His uncle, Luke, is a peaceful Jedi who constantly is learning about the force. His mom, never learned, and his father is a "pathetic" non-force user. Deep down, Ben feels he can be stronger than all of them and that something was always missing in the equation. Finally to learn the truth - that Anakin was Vader, and had all this great power - was denied him. It enrages him. He suddenly realizes that his entire family kept this from him to keep him weak. He feels the feared him and always knew that this is who he would turn into. To keep him from obtaining his true inheritance. To keep him from ruling over the Galaxy.

I don't think Ben will be seduced because he simply wants to save the ones he loves. I think it's because he feels gipped out of his true inheritance, of a great family destiny. That he was denied this great power. I think that's the edge that leads him to the dark side.

21. TheReal_Rebel

Sep 17, 2015
    That's still the uppity entitled schoolboy--which he does show to Rey. Like the cat in Red Dwarf. "That's mine and that's mine."

But we are given reason to believe that Snoke had access to Ben when he was young. Was Snoke talking into his ear like Palpatine did with Anakin in Charles Soule'd Obi Wan and Anakin Comic? Anakin is about 13-15 when Palpatine begins weildling Anakin, showing him the corruption in the Republic and the limitations of the Jedi.

How do we know Snoke did not begin corrupting Ben even earlier?

22. Iamnoone

Iamnoone Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 23, 2015
    Snoke has to have a different appearance now than back during the 'seducing' no?

I mean... creepy looking 7ft tall old dude hanging around one of your apprentice. Luke would have had to have failed big time not to suspect anything. Which suggests Snokes current appearance is relatively new.

I hope they know where the end goal is with this plot, and are not making it up on the job as they go.

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like the idea that Luke and Ben were on a mission and encountered Snoke. Snoke had inside knowledge of Vader, and told Ben that Luke killed his grandfather and Ben needs to exact revenge. That could've been the first seed planted by Snoke.

24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Why even assume that Snoke had to do it in person. Maybe Snoke just slowing whispered sweet dark side nothings into his ear and eventually he followed. Luke had Obi-wan in his ear while flying in the death star trench. Remember, the Force will be with you. Always. He could have felt possessed by this constant shadow looming around him and never quite knowing what to do, or maybe even telling others about it. Then Snoke tells him that Anakin was Vader and he could have had it all; ruler of the galaxy - except his lame uncle went and ruined it.

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Exactly, Luke never told Ben about his grandfather and Snoke could well have known from the 'Archives of the Empire'. Luke and Ben go off investigating the military build up in the Unknown Regions and get to Snoke;

Snoke - Aha! It's the Dark Lord's son and grandson.
    Ben - What? Who me? Uncle Luke, what's the old dude saying?

themoth likes this.