How did Star Wars create an illusion of the future?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by death_2_dooku, Mar 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. death_2_dooku Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was wondering if anyone has any information that could help me write a paper on how Star Wars' set designer created an illusion of the future.
  2. starwars6554 Force Ghost

star 6
    Can you define it a little bit more please so maybe I could help you? Because I don't really understand right now ?[face_plain]
  3. death_2_dooku Jedi Knight

star 1
    I tried to tell my teacher the same thing. But I have to write a research paper and write a speech with visual aids describing how the set designer created an illusion of the future.
  4. starwars6554 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "illusion of the future" ?[face_plain]
  5. JediKnightOB1 Force Ghost

star 5
    If you are looking for where George Lucas and team got many of the ideas for the set design and concepts you will most likely need to get schematic on said topic.

I do know this, GL is a master in visual ideas as well as culture. He has a degree in Anthropology.

I don't know what your time frame is but here are some ideas and combinations that he uses. If you look at the cities they are all modeled after concepts. Courcerant is very industrial / deco. Tattoine is very midddle-eastern. The capital of Naboo, Theed, is very stylistic of Istambul, Turkey.

Need where Skywalker Ranch is located in Marin County California, the court house is the only public building to have been designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright.

That design is much like that on Cloud City.

I don't think I can be of much more assistance.

Best of luck on your research paper.

Best,
    JKOB1
  6. Emos-Edud Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually Lucas created a vision of "a long time ago."

Here's a couple things to consider. In the OT the technology is beat-up and tends to break-down. That makes the technological marvels of the OT seem more believable to us. In regards to the set design and costuming, Lucas mixes design elements from our past with futuristic design so that the end result seems more grounded in reality and organic.
  7. Pfft Jedi Youngling

star 1
    We know that GL based much of his ideas on the serials of the 1930's. He achieved the look of the OT by dating the typical period outfits (Leia's dress) with a more technological, yet battered, starships = this gave the illusion of history.

I think in the PT he lost a lot of that history.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.