main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did the clones react?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, May 24, 2013.

1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I can't remember if I posted this on JCF or on Wookieepedia before I got banned......so I'm sorry if it's a repost.

But how did the clones react in Ep III when Anakin becomes Darth Vader? I mean one day he's working as a bright Jedi and working with other Jedi and the next day he's cloaked down and walking in on the Jedi Temple, and later destroys it.

So...what were the clones thinking?

If I were a clone:

1.) Why is Anakin, who is a Jedi, wanting to destroy the Jedi and the Temple?
    2.) Why didn't we execute Order 66 on Anakin?
    3.) Why are we following this obviously crazy guy who is conspicuously dressed as a Sith, the people we were fighting against?!
    4.) Why was Palpatine all old and creepy when he told us to execute Order 66?
    5.) Wait...what is going on?!
    6.) Oh, wait, it's in our "training" and "genes" to obey Palpatine no matter what.
    7.) Did the Kaminoans know about the eventual downfall of the Jedi, since they cloned and trained us?
    8.) How come I'm serving under a tyrannical dictatorship under the leadership of the Sith, when just in the past galactic war I was fighting against the Sith and for democracy?
    9.) Wait holy crap we're rescuing this dude with no legs from a lava river, and he looks a lot like Anakin. And plus Palpatine IS old and creepy now! (It wasn't just a trick of the hologram)
    10.) Who is this "Darth Vader" guy who chokes people?The Jedi in the Republic never did that, and the CIS had Sith who had the title of "Darth"...And what happened to Anakin?
    11.) How come we made this gigantic Death Star that can destroy a whole planet? That doesn't sound very Republic-like...
    12.) Wait I thought Palpatine wanted democracy and the Republic to stand! Why are we following this creepy old guy who just declared himself the supreme leader of the galaxy?!
    13.) Why did just shoot down all of our friends the Jedi? Oh, wait, already stated in #6...
    14.) Why are now wearing scary armor that looks like a skeleton, and act so repressive?
    15.) I'm so confused.......

2. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The clones were genetically altered to take orders and be pliable. They aren't going to ask questions about those orders. I think you have to assume that Palpatine gave them an order concerning Anakin's "status".

The clone wars cartoon humanized them a bit more, but we know what we need to know about them from the movies

3. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Exactly. They may have questioned some of the morality of such an action given everything that had occurred, but on the overall they were perfect soldiers. Remember, Lama Su mentions in Ep. II that the clones will take any orders without question. They were simply following through on what the high command said.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Why would the Clones even know who Anakin is.....they are following orders plain and simple.

If I was a Clone I wouldn't be questioning the Death Star, who wouldn't want a weapon like that on their side, some weapons are used for defense after all.

5. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Order 66 wasn't give to the Clones going with Anakin/Vader. It was only given to Clones deployed around the galaxy under "Jedi Generals".

6. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Pretty sure the Clones do not know about the Sith order, that's something only the Jedi know about. They identify Count Dooku as a separatist leader only. So when Darths Vader and Sidious show up, they don't think "Oh no it's our former enemies!" Although if Dooku was still around in order 66, he could have easily made the droids and clones call a truce in the name of peace...and order both to start shooting Jedi.

Considering Dooku and Sidious made the clones.

Darth Dnej and darthbarracuda like this.
  7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Anakin is a Jedi and a lead figure in the clone war. He's not some nobody . Some sort of order separating him from the rest of the Jedi would have to be made. It makes no sense any other way.

Order 66 is a general order, remove the Jedi. They would have to be told that for whatever reason that order does not apply to Anakin.

The Hellhammer and TOSCHESTATION like this.
  8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I hate using the term "in the EU"......but yeah, SOME clones disobeyed.....

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    This isn't a question that the films are able to answer...and neither is: Did Vader personally deliver Order 66 to the 501st?[face_thinking]

I'll dig around a bit to see if there is an open topic in one of the other forums to merge this with.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Which I think was a mistake. All people talk about was how cool they were on TCW, when the films clearly make it seem they're no more than flesh and bone robots. Now, people can't understand why they would so easily turn against their superiors.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The whole concept of "flesh and blood robots" was a bit dodgy- which was why some of the novels emphasised just how little alteration was done- not so much "inserting genes for obedience" as "removing Jango's genes for extreme solitariness" and emphasising the social conditioning side of clone training.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    a) The clones where fighting the separatists NOT the Sith.

b) The clones where ordered to obey the Supreme Chancellor of the republic NOT Palpatine, and it also doesn't matter what said person looks like.

c) Clearly Palps made it clear to the clones that Anakin was not a Jedi but was on there side and as such was to be followed as well.

d) The Kaminoans probably had no idea (But that's just a guess)

e) The clones are soldiers NOT politicians. All they probably cared about was serving the republic, what ever type of republic it was.

13. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    that's a lot of question's. Basically they are going to do whatever the Chancellor says.

14. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
  15. butlerd

butlerd Jedi Master star 1

Dec 31, 2008
    Right. See: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader (a very good read IMHO)

16. Master Fisto

Master Fisto Jedi Knight

Jun 10, 2013
    The Clones will not question orders. They will take orders from their higher rank as told.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't have that problem because I view the movies on their own. The EU is something else. A separate set of works

18. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    On film, the clones reacted predictably.

They did exactly as the Kaminoans said they would.

There was zero hesitation when Order 66 came down.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    If you agree with him that according to the movies, the clones are "flesh and blood robots" then why do you keep insisting they're slaves and it's immoral for the Jedi to make any use of them?

20. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Because it is immoral to take a human being and essentially genetically lobotomize them by reducing their ability to question authority to make a canon fodder slave out of them. It's evil at it's purest form. Pretty straightforward.

It's factory production of slaves.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Right. And in the movies it was not factory production of slaves, it was factory production of altered clones. Just because some fans call them slaves, does not make them slaves in the GFFA, this isn't about renaming them. What matters is on film... and the Republic had anti slavery laws in place long before the GAR was accepted into service. That means the GAR was not comprised of slaves, plain and simple. Having a Clone army is a non-issue in the films.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  22. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    A slave is a slave, if the republic and the Jedi wish to lie to themselves about the nature of their actions that's on them

They created an army of test tube slaves, slaves from the moment of conception. How they choose to look at it does not change what it is to be a slave

darthbarracuda and AnakinColodin like this.
  23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I gotta Agree with Tom on this. They had no choice but to fight for the republic, without choice they are a slaves. They were bred to fight. You cannot even compare them to conscript armies like the US had from WWII to Vietnam as there were ways for people to not get drafted some legal, some not so legal. The clones had no option but to fight.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Its a different galaxy, your definition of slavery does not universally apply.

25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Of course it does. A slave is a slave is a slave, here there or anywhere

Every power that has ever enslaved a group of people, or sought to suppress them, or destroy them, always creates useful legal "categories" for those unfortunate enough to fall under that thumb. The clones are under that thumb from the moment of their creation.