main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How did the empire fall in one year?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by crazyewok, Jun 9, 2018.

1. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Ok in the old EU the empire slowly crumbled over nearly 20 odd years. Breaking off into warlords with infighting and civil war chewing up the bulk of the imperial fleet allowing the new republic to gain power.

That seems pretty believable. The empire had a massive war machine. It would take a long time to wear it down.

Now we have the new cannon. Chuck Wendig (I hate his books) puts the defeat of the empire at less than 1 year after return of the Jedi.

How is that possibl? How did the small ragtag band of rebels with there tiny fleet suddenly destroy the empire in one year?
    I know jakku was costly but still! The imperial fleet was massive. One or even two decisive battles will not be enough to destroy the imperial fleet, only a war of attrition.
    The empire had 25000 imperial star destroys ( A figure readded into new cannon) plus countless other ships. How did that sort of military might fall in less than a year? Even with in fighting it is going to take a while.

It makes no sense! It seems like wendig pulled the idea of 1 year out his butt to tie things up in a "happy ever after" without thinking on the absurdty of it.

They had 30 odd years between return of the Jedi and the force awakens, plenty of time to have the empire fall in a more believble way.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    kalzeth likes this.
  2. jajje

jajje Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    Well, perhaps the world-building kinda got beat up with the PT, don't you think? Of course the point in ROTJ originally was that the Emperor in his persona and with his rule of fear was the ONE thing that held the Empire together.

I guess there's some kind of historical scenario, where an underground rebellion eventually toppled a autocratic government by more or less removing a dictator, that GL related to.

Then the PT made the Empire something else and we're led to believe (but never shown...) that the Old Republic is no longer functioning and Palpatine is able to orchestrate the rise of the Empire.

And the early ANH-story depicted the current Emperor as one of many rulers in succession - and perhaps only a puppet actually.

But I haven't read Wendig's book and also find the backstory created by TFA to be somewhat weak. I prefer my own old interpretation that the dark side of the force clouded the minds of all the Imperial officers - and with the Emperor and Vader gone they kinda lost the will to fight.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Originally, as detailed in the prologue to the ANH novelization, the Emperor was meant to be a wily politician (later described as Nixonian) who took office, declared himself Emperor, and was largely controlled by his inner circle. It was later on that Lucas reversed the situation to where the Emperor was the one who was really pulling the strings.

And the idea of the Emperor being the true motivator of the Empire itself was, I believe, first referenced in James Kahn's ROTJ novelization. There, the Emperor is said to be able to direct and control all of the Dark Side currents surrounding the him and the Empire. And, once he's dead, the Dark Side is so diffuse and disorganized that the Imperial forces just fall apart, giving in to empty rage and fear, making them easy targets for the Alliance at Endor. Beyond there, though, it's a bit more complicated.

I haven't read the new-EU post-ROTJ books yet, but I have to admit that the whole Empire falling and being replaced with the New Republic in one year seems hard to accept. Just as I have a problem with the First Order totally defeating the New Republic and taking control of the galaxy in a matter of days, but that's another story. The original EU idea of a longer, more difficult transition seems much more reasonable an idea.

crazyewok and kalzeth like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Short version: It was supposed to, it was killed by Fleet Admiral Rax under orders from Sidious as the Contingency. Rax literally says "The Empire is dead, I have killed it" Palpatine's big order to Rax is thus:

"If an Empire cannot protect its Emperor then that Empire must be deemed a failure. It collapses not only because its central figure is gone, but because it must not be allowed to remain!"

This wasn't in Legends. Maybe because Palpatine had his Clone Scheme for Eternal Life. So it fell into years. But Palpatine doesn't have a clone backup sceheme in canon so his final order is to kill his creation and Rax is the guy running the Empire and he does so. Just basically burn the frickin' galaxy to ashes. Or cinders. Like Operation Cinder which is another scored Earth Imperial post-Endor scheme. It's a rigged system that collapses. The guy running the Empire is is actively trying to destroy it. (And kill a bunch of New Republic people too and, well, everyone.)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Lulu Mars and Darth_Accipiter like this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Indeed, the Empire's fall was expedited because the Emperor ordered it. That's what the First Order is, the legacy of the Loyalist Imperials who carried out Palpatine's final order to destroy his Empire and begin anew.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Essential Guide to Warfare, Isard is portrayed as acting on orders from Palpatine - and she does things like abandon Coruscant.

7. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Still a slow destruction as portrayed in the EU is far more believable than one year.

You don' just lose 25,000 star destroyers and God knows how many other ships in just a single year.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    A chunk of them did disappear to the unknown regions and other ones were captured and Rax is sending the Empire on suicide missions that are basically designed to destroy all resources.

Another reason why the First Order is so nasty, all of the Imperials leftover who started it were ones who were actively trying to destroy everything.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Martoto77 likes this.
  9. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It would also assume that the vast majority would go along with Palpatine's "burn it all down" order, rather than see it as the pointless, spiteful act that it was. I figure only the most fanatical ones would agree, while the others would see sense and ignore it.

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Palpatine's Operation Cinder order only went out to the most zealous officers whom he personally entrusted. The rest were sent on suicide missions sent down from the chain of command, which was topped by Rax.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    But even with suicide missions how can you get rid of a fleet consisting 25,000 imperial star destroyers , hundreds of thousands of other capital ships and likely trillions of troopers in one year!

Hell the rebels didn't even have enough of a military to send such suicide missions againt! You would literally have to order fleets into black holes!

Anakinfan edit: No author bashing dropped a massive clanger (among many in his aftermath books) to say that the empire could be mostly destroyed in under a year. Its a ludicrous joke.

It would take 5 years of constant fighting among warlords at LEAST more likely 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    Blackhole E Snoke and kalzeth like this.
  12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    They didn’t. They were suffering mass defections, splinters, and surrenders. Some Moffs, sensing the way the wind was blowing, surrendered their sectors and forces to the New Republic without putting up a fight.

The Rebel Alliance and the New Republic didn’t destroy the entire tower. They knocked down the support columns, and the rest crumbled without them.

A good analogy here is the fall of the Soviet Union. Ostensibly one of the most powerful nations in the world, it was in reality a house of cards, held together mainly by fear. Once the first card was pulled, and people realized how weak the Soviet Government really was, it all came tumbling down in a year.

13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah there's quite a stacked deck against the Empire continuing (and also the defections, systems surrendering, mass population revolutions, escaping to the Unknown Regions). I go with a slightly more gruesome analogy that the head was lopped off at Endor, the Imperial body spent a year flopping around headlessly and without a command structure that was designed to sustain it. Until it fell over dead. Dictatorships tend to collapse rather rapidly once they're ousted. And this Empire was not allowed to survive on the final order of it's Emperor.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    El Jedi Colombiano and Iron_lord like this.
  14. NewApsolon

NewApsolon Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2018
    That's why the EU is better

15. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

K.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. NewApsolon

Apr 13, 2018
    I was kind of joking, but I also wasn't. There's lots of flaws with the EU for sure but there's just as many flaws with the new canon if not more.

Ackbar's Fishsticks and kalzeth like this.
  17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    "K" is just my default reply to anything I see that makes a very firm statement and comes completely out of left field.

You're free to believe whatever you'd like, but just jumping into a thread and saying "The EU is better" gives me pause.

18. NewApsolon

Apr 13, 2018
    People don't give the EU enough credit, SW wouldn't be SW without it, but SW would definitely be SW without Rey and Snoke and all these new people

crazyewok and kalzeth like this.
  19. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Then say that.

We don't gain anything from people jumping into threads with the sole purpose of posting one line vaguely decrying the new stuff without any actual reasons why that is. You've literally done it three times in three different threads in the last hour.

There are legitimate problems with both Legends and the NuCanon. I'd love to have people talk about and discuss them. But these "anti-Disney soundbytes" don't do anything for anyone, and lead to things like this being necessary.

20. NewApsolon

Apr 13, 2018
    I'm not trying to vaguely decry anything, nor am I trying to start an argument. It was more like a sarcastic comment that shows how I feel, but I'm not going on a crusade like you're implying. I simply stated my opinion by replying to the thread.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah sarcastic "this sucks!" posts is what is getting the forums locked down, y'know. Probably should avoid that.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  22. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Warning: Lets not turn this into a ego contest folks.

Also......

Do not restart the Canon Wars. @NewApsolon

@anakinfansince1983 @cubman987

23. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I expect the vast majority of the Imperials were loyal to their pay packet. Once there was a change of management, they didn't care who was in charge as long as they could still bring home the bacon. I doubt many were fanatically loyal to the Imperial ideology, but were willing to turn a blind eye if they had families to feed.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Operation Cinder is the reason why it is possible. Palpatine did not want the empire to continue if he were to die so he created operation cinder which was the purposeful destruction of the empire. He only wanted those truly worthy to start something new. That’s how the empire fell so fast.

BigAl6ft6 and Outsourced like this.
  25. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Thinking about I am going to bet a big part of the Imperial navy where not exactly fans of the the genocide stuff and probably would of switched loyalty's given the chance.

Most of the Imperial military probably joined up wanting to do go or just to escape crap hole planets. Only a minority where likely psychopaths and those would likely be assigned to things like the death star.

Palp_Faction likes this.