main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did the prequels affect the post-RoTJ timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    That's actually what I was hoping for when I saw the cover for Ruin, what with the Lucrehulk-looking ship that never actually comes up.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    MercenaryAce, JediBatman and Vthuil like this.
  3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'd love to have actually seen that as a story sometime.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I think some of Xim's Droids also fought the Vong as well, at some point.
    That would have been a cool comic to see. Either story.

6. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Yep; another New Essential Guide to Droids tidbit. Taken by the Hutts during their war with Xim, they were preserved and displayed for 25 millennia. But instead of being just war trophies, they were an invasion failsafe, and they killed thousands of Yuuzhan Vong before they were all destroyed.

The New Essential Guide to Droids is chock-full of tidbits that would be fascinating expanded into full stories, or at least setpiece scenes in other stories. In addition to the above, there are the the colony of Manta droid subfighters that survived the Clone Wars and trade with the Quarren; the rogue Baron Droid conquest of Arzid; Iron Knight activity in the Yuuzhan Vong war; and dwarf spider droids assisting stormtroopers at customs checkpoints.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I wish the Iron Knights had had more appearances in the old EU- they were the kind of unusual Jedi that I wish Luke's NJO had had more of, rather than the prequel era copy they ended up as.

And then of course there's the YVH droid war cry- "We are machines! We are greater than the Yuuzhan Vong!" And in Lando's voice too. I wish there was an audio clip of that. EDIT: Well, that war cry was from a novel originally, but the droid guide summed it up pretty well.

I do wish we could have seen more prequel-era ships afterward, but that might still come into play someday. The Rebel fleet had some old CIS ships (heavily modified, considering the Rebellion didn't have droid armies), and I wish someone could have fielded some old Venator fleets. Crimson Empire III had a little bit of that, but not enough to really appreciate it.

Force Smuggler and vncredleader like this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We do know that Naboo for example still exists in Krayt's era, does the fact that Palpatine came from Naboo and the maternal origin of the Sky-Solo Line originated there increase IU interest/hostility for the planet?

How did the Muuns deal with the GCW in Legends? The Yuuzhan Vong War?

Did the Neimodians ever recover?

Was Mustafar ever used for mining again?

We know the kaminons survived on criminal contracts and small fry orders after Endor did they ever join the NR?

How did the Geonsians handle Killik Joining?

Are there any relatives however distant of Palpatine and Plagueis left?

Any clone colonies in the Outer Rim lasting until the SCGW?

Did the IR ever consider using clones or battle droids again?

I mean really the Prequels could have been tied beautifully to the post NJO I mean OOU there was material being written concurrently and IU the time gap was only that of about half a century.

AusStig likes this.
  9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

The original Guide to Alien Species introduced this interesting idea that there was a movement of Neimoidians who were reacting to their defeat at Naboo (it could easily be ret-conned to be the Clone Wars) by trying to go back to their Duro roots/heritage. That would've made an interesting storyline if it had been followed up on. Maybe not enough to set a book around, but as a background for a book, at least.

Gamiel likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I meant in the post-ROTJ legends era but still an interesting premise.

11. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Right? It's a shame the NJO never really took off as a multimedia era. There was so much potential there.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    More comics, books, video games, tv series, movies soundtracks, etc are needed from the NJO era.

Contessa, jSarek and AusStig like this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    We need NJO movies.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing prequel trilogy worlds, characters, species, ships, droids, groups during the post ROTJ world would be fun to see.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Indeed, we know a bar named after Padme existed in the Legacy era, and other than a few tidbits we never really saw them.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Destroying Hosnian Prime instead of Coruscant was CHEAP and ruined what would have been an amazing moment for the series.

CT1138 likes this.
  17. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Nah. Taking Coruscant and all its story potential off the board for a cheap 30 seconds of boom is a waste.

Nom von Anor and vncredleader like this.
  18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Coruscant is a black hole that sucks up the screentime of characters and makes the universe act like it's the center. Making it gone opens up many many new avenues.

Also, it would have added an emotional charge the movie lacked.

BUT, YMMV.

jSarek likes this.
  19. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Re: Borsk - I think he tends to get a bit more shade thrown at him than he deserves. He definitely has flaws - pulling a blaster on a pregnant Leia, the attempted blackmail of Asyr Sei'lar over her relationship with Gavin Darklighter, and the on-again, off-again opportunism of his stance toward the Jedi - but I don't think he's an out-and-out scumbag.

He's extremely opportunistic, to be sure. And depending on who's writing him, he has a very strong species pride which twitches toward barely-covert speciesism (although this is a symptom, in some ways, of the larger problem that the X-Wing novels tend to be far too one-sided in their "military solves everything while democracy is weak" implications/outright statements; Wedge, especially, just tends to be a total *** in Starfighters of Adumar in his POV on civilians and psychological issues :rolleyes: ).

But Borsk grows, gains nuance, and by SbS, he's willing to die for the galaxy he served. In some ways, he comes full-circle. The incompetence in the NRDF is as much traceable to Sovv and Brand (and the sheer hypocrisy later in the Vong War by the NRI-turned-GAI regarding Alpha Red) as to politicians' two-steps, IMHO.

As for the larger thread question ... I don't think the PT did the post-TUF EU much good. The Jedi certainly suffered - instead of an admirable attempt at underlining how Luke's Order had improved by stepping away from certain tenets of the OJO, too many trappings of the ivory-tower Jedi were carried forward (the Council's infallibility and navel-gazing, foremost, but also a lack of questioning of one's so-called superiors).

DNT was just a train wreck. And there was the sheer implosion that was LOTF, which I won't bore anyone with retreading here. [face_plain]

FOTJ almost started off intriguingly, with a potential innovation in terms of Sith culture. But between Abeloth and the warped turns which the B/V relationship took, it suffered from much the same grind as LOTF. It's arguable that FOTJ is actually the least-affected by the PT, but the damage had been done; the Jedi started to take better direction by the series' end, but ... well, I'll cut this short before it become a rant. :p

Now, there were fragments of good characterization - the anti-slavery storyline in FOTJ, the sheer world-building that was the Sith Tribe (JJM hit that one out of the park with every story he wrote - not his fault others dropped the ball), moments where Ben Skywalker had actual character growth (between moments of :oops:-inducing behavior) ... but they don't save the meta-arc, IMHO.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The nobility of Borsk's death is debatable - I've argued in the past that it's really the ultimate expression of his zero-sum game approach to politics. Yes, as the leader who presided over the fall of Coruscant, his career would be in ruins, but he would still be an important leader at a time when they were badly needed. Instead, his suicide for a minor tactical advantage meant that our heroes had to play some pretty dirty politics in order to prevent Pwoe, an out-and-out collaborator, from being elected as his successor. It ultimately turned out for the best, but it was not an ideal situation.

Edit: Remembered the details somewhat wrong, but the point still generally holds. Not to mention that the whole Bothan ar'krai thing was more of a hindrance than anything else.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Bothans are apparently Romans or Samurai. Borsk would have never survived his disgrace as a leader but suicide, ironically, cleansed his legacy.

Then again, they had the same attitude in the Count of Monte Cristo so what do I know.

22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Because IU it is the center, it's the center of galactic civilization, the galactic capital, the place of power the place where if you can make it there you can make it anywhere. Destroying it in 30 second boom would have been not only grossly bad from a storytelling POV, and also would have been a pretty obvious middle finger in the eye towards prequel fans,

JediBatman and vncredleader like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    We had three awesome movies where it never shows up. :)

But yes, the point of blowing it up would be fans would care and it would change the galaxy forever.

Like blowing up Vulcan.

It's not about sticking it to the Prequels but it would, at least, guarantee we wouldn't be stuck with that planet anymore.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You would not be stuck with it anymore. A lot of us don't consider it being around to be "stuck" with it.