main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did they get the "I am your father" line?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AdamBertocci, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Okay, this has been bugging me for a while.

We know how GL wanted "I am your father" to be a big surprise, so much that he gave the actors misleading lines ("Obi-Wan killed your father" or "Obi-Wan is your father"), for example.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they also gave James Earl Jones a red-herring line to say -- something other than "I am your father".

IF this is the case, then how did they create the audio for the "I am your father" line? As a moviemaker and editor myself, I promise you that you cannot simply snatch up an "I", a "am", a "your" and a "father" and run them together and expect them to sound right.

My BEST guess is that they told him to say "I am your destiny" (or something like that) in a chilling tone of voice, and ran it together with a "father" dummy line.

Thoughts? Or, better yet, the TRUTH?

Rick McCallum loves you!

2. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I can't correct you if you're wrong, but I never heard anything about James Earl Jones not knowing the real line...

IJG

3. President-JarJar

President-JarJar Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    Dude..., I don't completely understand. ?[face_plain]

"I am your Destiny" [face_laugh]

4. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    "I am you density."
    "What?"
    "I mean, your destiny." :D

Seriously, though, I've always read that James Earl Jones was among the very few people who knew the "I am your father" line since he had to record it.

5. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    JEJ knew and said the line as it is. Dave Prowse on the other hand didnt know and was peeved when he only found out when he seen the premiere of TESB. Only a small amount of people knew. What i have told you is 100% correct as it was in an interview with the TESB director in the Star Wars mag. If you want quotes then i will go dig it out.

6. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    but I believe they also gave James Earl Jones a red-herring line to say -- something other than "I am your father".

I don't think so. It was Prowse who was givent he red herring line. Kirshner told Prowse the line was "Obi-Wan is your father" and then he told Hamill the real line so his reaction could be accurate. I don't think JEJ got any red herring type of things. Plus, his recordings would have been close enough the end of production that it would be easy for him to keep the secret.

7. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    It'd be interesting to hear what James Earl Jones' reaction was to being told that Vader was Luke's father. Has he ever mentioned it in any interviews? I'm sure he was just as surprised as the audience was.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I know Hamill was only told about it seconds before the scene started shooting. Kershner took him to one side and quietly told him that Vader was going to be Luke's father, and then they shot it.

Prowse didn't have a clue, I wonder if he ever thought "Wow, Mark's really going for it with this Obi-Wan thing..."

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm sorry, Adam, but i have no idea what you're talking about.

10. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    It appears that I am am wrong. I could have sworn that JEJ didn't say the line as-is. Guess you can't trust your own brain sometimes.

Mods, feel free to lock. In the meantime, let us discuss what kinds of silly hats Star Wars characters might like to wear.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
    Darth Maul strikes me as the type of Zabrak who would appreciate the subtle genius of a beanie.

12. Esplin9466

Esplin9466 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 27, 2002
  13. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Luke and Vader also had a father son moment on the Falcon too so if they wanted to keep it a secret from Hamill and Jones they'd have to deal with that dialogue too. I think they both knew. Prowse didn't know but it's not like knowing would have affected his "performance".

14. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Very few people were in on the secret. The only actors who knew from what I understood were Mark Hamill and James Earl Jones.

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I think Dooku would look positively charming in a stovepipe hat.

16. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    DamonD wrote: "I know Hamill was only told about it seconds before the scene started shooting. Kershner took him to one side and quietly told him that Vader was going to be Luke's father, and then they shot it.

Prowse didn't have a clue, I wonder if he ever thought 'Wow, Mark's really going for it with this Obi-Wan thing...'"

Yeah, I can only imagine what Prowse and the rest of the crew thought when Hamill was flipping out. I can just see Kershner whispering it into Hamill's ear, and Hamill breaking out a big grin.

17. Darth_Deagol

Darth_Deagol Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2002
    Actually I read somewhere I think in Insider a quote from James E. Jones regarding his reaction to the line. He thought it was a bunch of dingo's kidney's. He thought it was really manipulative I think. At any rate, he didn't like the idea.

I'll try to find where I read that.

18. President-JarJar

President-JarJar Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2003
    "I am your Density."

"What!?"

"I mean, your Destiny."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Hey Spacehunter24! that part in Back to The Future is Hillarious!! A Classic! :p

How about Luke Skywalker in a Cowboy hat! :p

-President-JarJar

19. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I read in an old Insider interview with JEJ that when he read the line, he didn't believe it. He thought for sure Vader was lying to Luke.
    Funny how some things stick in your mind. The interview was years ago.

20. Spacehunter24

Jan 2, 2003
    And here I was, afraid nobody would get it. :D My third-favorite movie series of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.