main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Vader Defeat Palpatine so easily in ROTJ ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by PadawanGussin, Sep 10, 2017.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I don't think so.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

Jester J Binks likes this.
  3. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Vader was not fully a Sith Lord by the time of ROTJ he was demoted following the events of ESB. The Emperor and Vader stood side by side in ROTJ and Vader was more powerful. The Emperor would have figured out that Vader would double cross him. Vader had a discussion with Luke before Luke formally met the Emperor.

The Emperor is sitting on his throne "hmmm that Vader do i trust him with the boy since the last time he went after Luke he did not return with him. That boy might be able to make an alliance with Vader. Yes i sense the presence of Yoda in all of this but all is going as planned."

Danger was all around the Emperor and he made an error in judgement in allowing Vader to head to the surface. He should also have constrained Luke sooner instead of allowing him to distract him from the fleet battle going on outside. The Emperor was balancing fighting a war in space with keeping Luke caged in his throne room cut off from his friends and allies. Vader was not kept onside and had he made assurance with Vader that the boy would not be killed until after the battle than Vader would not have turned against his former master.

4. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    I found this vid showing vaders thoughts right before he killed Palpitine.

The owner of the youtube channel has a very good reading voice and this gives some interesting insights into vaders mindset.

5. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Good movie.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    In my head-canon, Anakin/Vader did not defeat Sidious with contemptuous ease. He had to use the Force to contain Sidious and throw propel him downward. So, at least for me, it wasn't due to his strength.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  7. He never died he was resurrected by Snoke
    And in the last movie of the new trilogy we will know that Palpatine was the real villain

8. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Vader was not a Sith Lord by the time of ROTJ? Where are you getting that? And yet in ROTJ Vader is more powerful? More powerful than when? None of this makes any sense.

wobbits likes this.
  9. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

The point i'm getting at is his role in the Empire was greatly reduced following the battle at Bespin. The Emperor kept him around as a loyal servant and to keep the rest of the Stormtroopers in line. Lord Vader was still a powerful force in the Galaxy post ESB yet the Emperor was not aware of any presence of Anakin in his apprentice.

In ROTJ Luke said he still felt the good in him buried deep. Lord Vader was concealing his feelings about his son about how he truly felt about the Empire and about his continuing allegiance to Dark Side of the Force.

10. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

I don't disagree that VADER was concealing his feelings about his son in ROTJ and the Emperor missed it completely but I dont see anywhere mention of his role being "greatly reduced" The Empire emerged victorious after ESB and Vader redeemed himself to the Emperor after he failed to protect the first DS according to the canon comics from Disney at least.

PadawanGussin and ZodaEX like this.
  11. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    As punishment for his failure to protect the first DS , Vader was put under the command of Tagge, who had departed the DS before its destruction at the BOY. After proving himself to Palpitine, Vader Force choked Tagge.

12. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

In ROTJ Lord Vader came to the Death Star to inform them that the Emperor would personally oversee the final preparations of the battlestation completely taking the commanding officer off guard. The Emperor was no longer allowing subordinates to act as stand ins for him. Also ESB could be seen as a loss for the Emperor since Luke was on his way to become a Jedi Knight and Lord Vader had not prevented this.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's not why Vader was sent there. He was sent there because he was capable of properly motivating Jerjerrod into getting the Death Star back on schedule. It had nothing to do with a demotion. Nowhere has that been stated. At one point, Lucas did have Jerjerrod as a contemporary of Tarkin and of equal rank, but that was abandoned.

14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He's still specifically a Moff (not a Grand Moff though), and not just Commander of the Death Star.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True, but he wasn't like Tarkin. Jerjerrod was trying not to **** his pants, whereas Tarkin was one step from pimp slapping Vader.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That might just be their different personalities. Tarkin has a humungous ego, Jerjerrod doesn't.

In the newcanon junior novelization of ROTJ (Beware The Power of the Dark Side), he's basically a research and development guy - architecture, starship design, etc. He worked on the first Death Star as well as the second.

In the Tarkin novel - he's a Rear Admiral, and a member of the Joint Chiefs - basically the group that advises the Emperor on military matters.

Based on Michael Pennington's age, Jerjerrod must be something of a prodigy too - to be a Rear Admiral 18 years before ROTJ (Pennington was only 40 when he was in ROTJ - even if the character is older than the actor, they can't be vastly older.)

17. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

Jerjerrod did not know the Emperor was going to come it was Lord Vader that told him this. Yes he came to keep a schedule but none of the Death Star snr officers were in the loop as to the Emperor visiting the station. It was fear of the Emperor's imminent arrival that focused the minds of the snr staff.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Palpatine let Vader defeat him because it was all part of the plan for Frank to go into an easy retirement without consequence.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I know all that. None of that means that Vader was demoted. None of it.

20. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

I used that word to highlight that Lord Vader was no longer in the high graces of the Emperor following Bespin.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

If anything it was a demotion for Jerjerrod. The moment he stepped off the shuttle Vader took command of the Death Star's construction. When the Emperor arrived Vader had everything operational and ready to trap the Rebel fleet. In a lot of ways Vader had the most important job in the Empire.

In Jerjerrod's defense he probably had no idea about the trap for the rebels or the Death Star and Emperor being used as bait. Jerjerrod was probably working towards a complete finished Death Star and not rushing to have the the prime weapon and other key systems be operational.

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Palpatine was incredibly ticklish.

23. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

He did have a prominent role in the deleted scene in which he prevents Vader from meeting with the Emperor.

24. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

Vader's response on being told he can't see the Emperor is to choke Jerjerrod to death with the Force. Jerjerrod is just able to cough out it's the Emperor's command not his own. Only then does Vader relent. So even in the deleted scenes Jerjerrod has no real power. Such has when he obey's orders to fire the Death Star on the Forrest Moon.

25. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

Simple an enforcer of the Emperor's command all be it that anyone other than Darth Vader would march off in a huff.