main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How did Yoda and Obi-Wan know that Palpatine was the emperor in ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth DoJ, May 14, 2016.

1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    While they're flying to the Jedi Temple, they say that it will be easier to enter as there is a special ceremony in congress (Palpatine is still chancelor and they still live in a republic), and then we cut to the scene where he becomes emperor, then we cut back to the scene where Obi-Wan sees Anakin convert, then they refer to Palpatine as the emperor. How did they know what transpired?

Edit:

"I know, they used the force!"
    "That's now how it works!"

2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    The same way they knew that Anakin's new name was Darth Vader: They payed attention to the hologram that said "Now, Lord Vader, go and bring peace to the Empire".

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Maybe they got a call from Bail while Obi-Wan was changing the coded retreat signal?

Palpatine's announcement of the Empire comes between the scene of Obi-Wan and Yoda discovering the Younglings and Obi-Wan finishing his rewiring.

Who knows how much time passed between the 2, or whether Bail contacted them once the Senate session ended. We know that Yoda and Bail were in contact at some point before Yoda's extraction from the senate, so Bail probably filled the Jedi in.

4. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Once they made their way to the distress signal at the Jedi temple, Obi-Wan played the security footage
    that had a link to the chancellor office. That scene makes the Jedi look like the secret police. That is how they found out that Palpatine was Darth Sidious.

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I don't think that was from the Supreme Chancellor's office, though. More likely, Palpatine had gone to the Jedi Temple to see the carnage with his own eyes.

lord_sidious_ and AshiusX like this.
  6. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    That part, yes - but how did they know that he had just become emperor?

"We know that Yoda and Bail were in contact at some point before Yoda's extraction from the senate, so Bail probably filled the Jedi in."

That's the only viable explanation [so far] but it's still pretty weak IMO.

7. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Common sense

Sith Rule the Galaxy= An Empire

I doubt the Sith would create a new Republic, Oligarchy, democracy, or any other type of government if they rule the galaxy, so Obi and Yoda just assumed that it was an Empire.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    wouldn't it have been on the news ?

thinking about it - we never see any journalism represented in the movies . (do we ?)

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Because Palpatine talked about bringing peace to the Empire. They recognized Palpatine and realized that the Republic is now an Empire.

@ 1:00.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  10. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I have to look at that scene again. I always interpret that footage was from Palpatine's office since the Jedi did not trust the chancellor completely. They used Anakin to get close to him, so I did not rule out the Jedi acting like a secret police at the time.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's not from Palpatine's office. Palpatine went to the Temple after the raid was completed.

Tonyg likes this.